X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rbgarr
    43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
    • Apr 1999

Overshooting pilots were on their laptops

The pilots of the commercial jetliner that last week overshot its destination by about 150 miles have said they were using their laptops and lost track of time and location, federal safety officials said Monday.

Playing John Madden NFL 10 perhaps??

For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.
  • Dan McCosh
    • Mar 2001

Re: Overshooting pilots were on their laptops

At least they weren't talking on their cell phones.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
      • Jun 2001

Northwest pilots trying to figure out the Delta crew schedule system. These arilines merged a year ago and these guys are still trying to sort things out.
      Operations needs to be more careful about scheduling guys like this with each other.
      Bright guy + bright guy = too bright (pun alert).
      Bright guy + dim guy = ok.
      Dim guy + dim guy = DIM^n.

Comment

• C. Ross
        • May 2007

Damn. I was hoping it was alien abductions.

I'll fly just north of 80,000 miles on Northwest this year. They always make me turn off my damn laptop when we get near Minneapolis...I guess I can ignore that direction next time <grin>.

Comment

• Tom Wilkinson
          • Jun 2000

Originally posted by John Teetsel
          Northwest pilots trying to figure out the Delta crew schedule system. These arilines merged a year ago and these guys are still trying to sort things out.
          Operations needs to be more careful about scheduling guys like this with each other.
          Bright guy + bright guy = too bright (pun alert).
          Bright guy + dim guy = ok.
          Dim guy + dim guy = DIM^n.
          The two airlines are still operating under separate certificates. Just because the merger was done a year ago doesn't mean all the systems and policies are integrated. Single operating certificate is likely several months out.

Doesn't excuse their actions though.
          Tom

Comment

• peterAustralia
            • Feb 2006

Is it just me that thinks this is weird that pilots have laptops in the cockpit.

Let me put it this way, why do pilots need a laptop whilst flying. Surely all the navigation instruments are actually in the plane. Does the employer want them to catch up on emails etc, whilst they are flying the plane.

From my rather conservative viewpoint, I would have thought that actually flying a plane was a serious job in itself, enough of a job to allocate one hundred percent of your time to. I guess if you were working in a record store and there were few customers then it would be OK to check emails and surf the net, but when your flying a plane! I just assumed there would be a rule against that. I guess I need to get with the times and understand modern multI-tasking.

peter

Comment

• Tom Wilkinson
              • Jun 2000

There is a rule against it and they will likely be terminated. Union may be able to protect them, but it seems a pretty flagrant violation. There isn't a whole lot of actual hands on flying going on for 90% of most commercial flights. swapping headings and monitoring and switching radios is about the extent of it.

It's really a pretty boring job from what I have seen. newspapers and books were common in the cockpit so I'm not surprised they were using laptops. I am surprised that they let it get in the way of their piloting duties.
              Tom

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
                Flâneur • Seattle
                • Feb 2001

Probably Wicked Weasel
                “The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
                — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• Scot L T
                  • Jun 2009

Yea sure! And it was a "Weather Balloon" that landed in Roswell, NM. C. Ross, I think you're on the right track...Aliens!
                  "Take good care of the earth, for it was not given to you by your Grandfathers but loaned to you by your Grandchildren."

Native American Saying.

Comment

• Nicholas Scheuer
                    • Aug 2006

"Laptops" sounds like a "reasonable" story designed to cover up something else.

Maybe the two have a gay relationship and were "getting it on".

How many people are in the cockpit of a "jumbo jet" anyway? Did the Flight Engineer go the way of the caboose people on the railroads?

Moby Nick

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
                      Who?
                      • Aug 1999

Originally posted by Nicholas Scheuer
                      How many people are in the cockpit of a "jumbo jet" anyway? Did the Flight Engineer go the way of the caboose people on the railroads?

Moby Nick
                      Yes, long ago!

Here is a way of looking at it, which was pointed out to me long ago by a colleague in Cathay Pacific:

A ship has a crew with, usually, a 2 on 1 off leave ratio, so you need about 1.8 crews for her (allowing for overlaps, training, illness, etc.)

A 747 needs 7 or 8 whole crews!
                      IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• Tylerdurden
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2006

I talked to my UFO guy last night and he says this isn't the last word. Says they will drag it out as its a coverup and Obama will have to announce. We will see.
                        I think its more probable they napped out, its a boring flight.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
                          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Tylerdurden
                          I think its more probable they napped out, its a boring flight.
                          Yep, I'd lay odds they were asleep. I don't care what you're doing, lap top or lap dance, your ear is tuned to hear your call sign and they didn't respond for over an hour.

They know they're toast so this is just an attempt to step out without admitting GROSS negligence.

Comment

• Tom Wilkinson
                            • Jun 2000

Originally posted by John Teetsel
                            Yep, I'd lay odds they were asleep. I don't care what you're doing, lap top or lap dance, your ear is tuned to hear your call sign and they didn't respond for over an hour.

They know they're toast so this is just an attempt to step out without admitting GROSS negligence.

Actually I think admitting they were on laptops is admitting gross negligence. They are done IMHO. At least sleeping they could claim fatigue.
                            Tom

Comment

• paladin
                              Senior Senior Member
                              • Dec 2000

That is the very reason that autopilots were not installed in most of our aircraft in South East Asia...tired or not, and some days we flew every day all week and sometimes as long as a month without a day off....we were shifted around so that if we had long flights 2 days in a row and had to fly again it was a short (2-3) hour flight.....you had to stay on your toes all the time...
                              Wakan Tanka Kici Un
                              ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
                              Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
                              Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
                              "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

Working...