PDA

View Full Version : The 'benefit' of Somalia's pirates

Tylerdurden
10-26-2009, 10:02 AM
The increasing levels of piracy off the coast of Somalia have caused an unexpected spin-off, raising the levels of fish in the sea.

Fisherman in Kenya have reported bumper catches of shark and shellfish because commercial fishing boats from China and Japan have been scared away.
Now the fishermen are able to catch up to 200 worth of fish per day in an area where the average daily earnings are less than 5.

The massive factory trawlers which used to drain their fish stocks have been scared away and that means there is a huge bounty for local fishermen as well as helping to restore the health of the marine eco-system.
http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/world/africa/the+aposbenefitapos+of+somaliaaposs+pirates/3399027

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-26-2009, 10:15 AM
I very distinctly remember seeing, as a little boy in Mogadishu, a fisherman walking off the beach towards the fish market with a swordfish carried on his head - that fish seemed to me, who had never seen one before, to be huge. It had been caught by a small boat launched off the beach.

Tylerdurden
10-26-2009, 10:23 AM
I have been arguing for a long time that the pirates actions were a direct result of being pushed out of their fishing grounds. The very first pirates were ex-fisheries police who had the training to do the job.
Agreements were made by the powerful to allow foreign fishing close to shore forcing starvation on the poor. It was a natural reaction to fight the aggressors and the results of their actions have seemed to pay off for them.

paladin
10-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Andrew, the only two ports that I visited in Mozambique were Mocambique and Maputo, in the 70's.....how recent were your visits and how much have they changed?...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Never been there, Chuck; only Somalia and Kenya.

Here is a link to the Chatham House website and if I have got this right you should be able to download a very good briefing paper on Piracy:

http://www.chathamhouse.org.uk/publications/papers/view/-/id/665/

There's another very good, new, briefing paper on Somaliland, a pet cause of mine.

peter radclyffe
10-26-2009, 01:00 PM
if you were being raped would you prefer extended negotiation or immediate withdrawal

paladin
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
If I were being raped there would be a few involved, and if I wasn't dead when they left, someone, I guarantee, would lose their ability to rape again.......

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-27-2009, 02:23 AM
Going back to Mark's original point, Somali piracy can be seen as the first of the "resource wars" which are predicted by some pundits as our planet runs out of everything.

martin schulz
10-27-2009, 04:20 AM
I have been arguing for a long time that the pirates actions were a direct result of being pushed out of their fishing grounds.

I thought this was apparent to everyone...

But as with other problems in the world it always seems much easier to fight the symptoms instead of the causes (hunger, illiteracy, oppression), but then fighting the causes won't bring any return of investment...

The Bigfella
10-27-2009, 04:39 AM
I thought the pirates actions were as the result of opportunism and the belief that they wouldn't get caught.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-27-2009, 04:42 AM
There is a very critical line here, which I must point out.

In most legal systems (but not under Italian law, and I am unsure about some other European legal systems) it is lawful to pay a ransom to criminals.

Under just about all legal systems, it is illegal to pay money to terrorists.

This really, really, matters - please, please, don't come close to calling the Somali pirates anything other than criminals.

skuthorp
10-27-2009, 05:28 AM
That might just be the most interesting post you have put up ACB.