PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Boat Rescue Foundation---update

OEX
12-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. I am posting a separate update on the questions about Ben Bow and cost of restoration vs. replication/new---the post will be “WBRF- Ben Bow update.”

We have a few new boats on the site www.woodenboatrescue.org. (http://www.woodenboatrescue.org.)

48 Matthews
35 ft ketch 1969
and more ---take a peak.

Wooden Boat Magazine was very nice in giving us a good rate for an ad in the latest issue---hope you all see it.

Someone asked about the Shore Liner on the site. OK, Shore Liner--she does seem to be one of four built in the 50's in RI to the Shore Liner plans, but the gunwale was changed (higher) and they were rigged as double headsail. This is a great boat and built well and in good condition---take the time to go see it in Mystic CT---visit the Seaport Museum and make a trip of it!!

The site is still fluxing about and issues arise due to lack of time---but please keep checking and understanding.

Also at this point only one other person has posted a boat on the site---all the rest are ones I have posted! It seems hard to believe that I can fine 20 boats for free in 2 months, but no one else can even find/save one---just guilting any and all into going to yards and barns and making an effort to get the boats onto the site :rolleyes: .

Cheers and happy holidays---a great present for you family would be Ben Bow or, a 30' Winslow Sloop or.... ;) WBRF (http://www.woodenboatrescue.org)

Bruce

jermedia
12-23-2004, 01:41 PM
I have a mid-fifties 'Cruisalong' 19 foot inboard with working Greymarine engine... in NH that needs work and is worth saving .... any interest?

OEX
12-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Please post it on the website with a few pics and as much honest detail as you can. Just create a sellers account and go for it---it simple. Then you can point people to the site and save time, etc---this is what it is for. I had 4000 hits in the last week.

WBRF (http://www.woodenboatrescue.org)

Cheers, Bruce

nedL
12-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Bruce: I'd love to chat about the "Sea Bright skiff" you have. My passion is boats built on the Jersey shore. I'm glad you posted pictures of her (I've been waiting smile.gif ). May I suggest that her bottom aft was built that way, that's called a 'hook'. I see no indications of things being afoul (waterline is still straigth & the bottom of the box keel & skeg angle look correct). I'd be glad to chat more. -Ned

http://www.woodenboatrescue.org/image.php?Id=134

Looks OK.---May look odd to those that don't know how some Jesey skiffs were built.

[ 12-23-2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: nedL ]

OEX
12-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Yup I am learning everyday. When i first posted the details of the Seabright, I had seen her in the grass on cinder blocks---thought she had lost shape. But now I know she was built that way. Her lines are very close to "Little Water" an Atkin design seabright, but many were similar.

Tell me more about these boats and the "hook" etc so I can get it to the people interested in taking her. Are you interested? She is very nice and the planking (outside of my idiot hole" is great. Her frames need attention, but they are easy to get to and not large---one-man job. I personally an falling in love with this boats---some come get it before I am lost!! She is here at my house.

Cheers, Bruce

OEX
12-23-2004, 05:30 PM
I think I should start reading my messages before I send them off---just had a look at my last post---sorry about all the typos. :eek:

bruce

nedL
12-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Bruce, a "hook" in the bottom is when the planking rises as it leaves the transom & then goes back down (forming that concave area near the prop). If a boat has a hook in the bottom it may be very slight (less than an inch) or it may be more extreme ( as in your skiff , or even more). The idea was to help the boat get up on a plane & flatten out sooner. It is quite an effective way to help the higher speed performance, but only up to a point. Above about 20 knots or so they cause extra drag and are counter productive. The idea that your skiff started out as a lobster boat makes sense as some NJ builders put more extreme hooks in their boats that were built as lobster boats so they could still 'get up on top' and plane when loaded with pots aft. I'll bet she is planked with 'Jersy white cedar'. That stuff is amazing wood, very light, incredibly tough and almost rot proof. As a kid I used to find old derelict locally built boats long abandon & washed up on islands in the salt marsh on the Jersey shore, they may have been spit totally open filled with sand & growing beach grass for decades; when I'd dig down the white oak ribs would be long rotten away & totally gone but that Jersey white cedar planking would be as solid as a rock. I picked some up this past summer for a boat I'm rebuilding now, you can almost pick up a 2x10x12' with one hand it is so light. smile.gif

[ 12-24-2004, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: nedL ]

Stari27
01-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Interestingly enough my 34' 1957 Richardson has a similar hook. It is about 1.5-02".