PDA

View Full Version : Ouch - off with the fingernail...

Noah
10-24-2009, 08:52 PM
We just had a nice dinner party at our house. A bunch of fun parents and kids, everyone had a good time.

As the last were leaving I went to open the storm door to let in our cat, and managed to pull off 3/4s of my middle fingernail. Darn that hurt. A bit of blood, but mostly I felt sick to my stomach. We taped it down quickly, and I'm hoping it will stay attached - am I in for a long haul with this thing?

Hwyl
10-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Anything to get out of working on the boat

George Jung
10-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Well.... in my experience.... taking the nail off offers almost instant relief. (I've done a few - including my own (without anesthesia - another story) - and that's the line I'm sticking to!

Taping the nail down is okay - but you'll fine yourself 'catching' it, and suffering re-injury. Personally, I'd have it completed. And Hydro/oxycodone is helpful...

Phillip Allen
10-24-2009, 09:39 PM
sounds like a bad case of digit-owus

TimH
10-24-2009, 09:43 PM
I ripped my entire thumbnail off when I was a kid in a bicycle wreck. I couldnt sail for the rest of the season, but when it finally grew back it was (and still is) twice as thick.

I knocked my toe nail off in a dirt bike accident. Actually I shoved it back into my foot about 1/4". It fell off and grew back unattached to the toe. It still just floats freely, 20 years later.

George Jung
10-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Interesting - presumably, you detached the nail plate! I've not seen t hat - which just goes to show you, stick around this place long enough, you'll learn something!

TimH
10-24-2009, 09:53 PM
I keep it cut real short so it doesnt snag and rip off :)
I only have to trim it every year or so. Grows real slowly.

Jim Ledger
10-24-2009, 11:55 PM
I ripped one almost completely off about three years ago. I was working on the roof when it started to rain near the end of the day. My foot slipped on the top rung and I was on the ground in about... well it didn't take long. The fingernail came off trying to grab a rung.

Trim it, keep a Band-Aid on it. Mines almost grown back.

ishmael
10-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Boy, that smarts! I lost the toenail on my great left toe, all of it, years back. High school gym class wrestling. We were practicing the move where you jump back to keep your opponent from grabbing your legs. Everyone was barefooted, and it caught on the mat. It was mercifully quick, as most amputations are, but it throbbed for a long time and never has been quite right since, though it doesn't pain me. I remember looking down, seeing the blood, seeing what had happened, and wailing. Kinda surprising, because I tend toward stoic. I couldn't help it, it was such a shock that wordless moans and screams escaped me.

Good luck. It'll heal.

paladin
10-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Larry, the cider helps but only if'n ya puts it inside...outside dunno help much.

halflin
10-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Noah, forget this cider nonsense, sounds like a nice time to get The Macallan out, I think 3 fingers are called for- at least.

plus buy some Marigolds(large) & you can cut the fingers off these to keep the finger dry in the tub.

Its going to take a while, but it shall repair. Good luck.

John Smith
10-25-2009, 10:48 AM
This is where you'll get a lot of anadotes from others, but you'll be making your own.

It will probably grow back without further problems, but it may not. If you get any hint that something is going wrong, have it checked.

If it decided to ingrow, it will be painful.

Paul Pless
10-25-2009, 11:33 AM
...managed to pull off 3/4s of my middle fingernail. Darn that hurt. A bit of blood, but mostly I felt sick to my stomach.sa rules :eek:

Ron Williamson
10-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Just last week,I put a 18g. air nail into my fingernail,from the fingerprint side.
The fingernail stopped the air nail from going all the way through.
I said at least one bad word.
R

Nicholas Carey
10-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Ouch! I feel for you.

Oncet upon a time, I smashed my fingernail with a hammer. Instantly turned dark red with blood under the nail, swelled up and hurt like the devil.

I chucked a 1/16" drill bit into the drill, flame-sterilized it and drilled [very carefully] through the nail so as to relieve the pressure. Blood squirted out rather impressively.

Took care of it and didn't lose the nail.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-25-2009, 04:03 PM
am I in for a long haul with this thing?

Yes.
It's going to hurt for awhile.
Fingers and toes have lots of nerves.
Soak it in warm water with epson salts, don't know why this helps but it does.

S/V Laura Ellen
10-25-2009, 06:40 PM
A percocet and a beer ... what nail?:D

Doug

From my experience, the beer is somewhat redundant, but then again.... why not!

ishmael
10-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Keep it washed, an anti-bacterial unguent on it, a dressing, and it'll heal just fine. The washing is the hardest part. Ew! that's ugly, but do it anyway.

I had a friend, a fellow wood butcher in MA. He'd lost a part of his left fingers, mostly the middle one, up well past the first knuckle, on a jointer. He didn't let it stop him, he ran a very successful cabinet business selling to high end companies in Boston.

Push sticks! They are underrated, and get in the way at times, but keep them pinkies away from the blades.

Give it time, it'll heal.