PDA

View Full Version : big wood building, Tustin Hangars

switters
10-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I was sent a link to a short (15min or so video) about the Tustin Hangars, originally built for blimps at the beginning of WWII. Over the course of 6 years Hangar 2 was my "shop" for about 2 of those years at different times.

http://tustinca.org/VIDEOS/HANGARSHISTORY.WMV

The building and stats of the hanger are in the first half of the video.

They are sometimes called the largest unsupported wooden building in the world, but that is contested, at any rate, they are huge, and mostly wood, and still standing since 1943.

J P
10-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Cool, thanks. Watched that at lunch.

Are both buildings still standing? A couple million BF of gov. spec. D. fir would be a nice salvage.

Imagine going into battle hanging under a gas filled balloon! No thanks.

switters
10-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Both buildings are still there, but not much has been done with them. They have served as a location in some movies recently, I recognized the inside of the hanger in one of the Austin Powers movies.

There were some other interesting side stories that didn't get mentioned. There was a rumor that an anlisted had committed suicide by jumping off of the rafters onto the hangar floor and he haunted the hangar. I worked night crew my last year there and never saw anything, but I'm not much of a ghost guy.

In other dubious history, Oswald was stationed there for a while.

Captain Blight
10-22-2009, 05:26 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Tutsi finally getting her comuppance, and the ticker-tape parade that would then ensue.

RED HERRING

David W Pratt
10-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Be a good place to build boats.

willmarsh3
10-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Neat video. I hope they get incorporated into whatever the future plans turn out to be rather than razed.

Be a good place to build boats.

It looks like you just about build a dang aircraft carrier in there. :D :D