PDA

View Full Version : How do I propagate raspberries ?

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 02:48 AM
I finally got hold of a couple of tropical raspberry plants ,a sub tropical selection that actually sets fruit in this climate !

They were however quite expensive ! $A30 each ! I 'd like to eastablish a decent bed of these but not at that price .

Does anyone know how to divide or somehow multply these two plants ?

Phillip Allen
10-21-2009, 03:19 AM
pthbbbbbbbbbbbt!

(like that?)

shamus
10-21-2009, 03:32 AM
The old canes fruit, and this years canes are for next year. After the fruiting finishes you remove the old canes, drive a spade through the root ball and transplant. I think.

shamus
10-21-2009, 03:38 AM
But the book says:
New plants are easily established from the suckers put out by existing plants. Dig these up and transplant them in autumn.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-21-2009, 03:40 AM
Shamus has just given the classic account for the Brit model rasp. - What is a "Tropical Raspberry"?

There are a number of Rubus ... which will propagate from runners.

http://www.bushfood.net/viewtopic.php?t=473

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 03:49 AM
Shamus has just given the classic account for the Brit model rasp. - What is a "Tropical Raspberry"?

There are a number of Rubus ... which will propagate from runners.

http://www.bushfood.net/viewtopic.php?t=473

A temperate ,normal raspberry ...but a particular selection that will set fruit here ,without winter temperatures below 10C and with a very humid summer .

I got one raspberry off last season :):D,brand new plants and small .I picked off most of the flowers but had to let a few set .The grandchildren got the others .

Delightful !

How many of these constitutes a family sized patch ?

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 03:51 AM
Ah , your link was to a particularly flavorless plant that grows wild here .Not sortafter by me !

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-21-2009, 03:55 AM

How many of these constitutes a family sized patch ?

Depends on the family - when I was a kid we used to keep a 20 foot run of canes, mixed yellow and red, but if we wanted to make a batch of jam then mum would pay us 6d per pound for wild ones.

I kept a few canes for old times sake but sadly the dog developed a real passion for the nearly-ripe fruit - so I got none.

shamus
10-21-2009, 03:59 AM
I got one raspberry off last season :):D,brand new plants and small

Brilliant. You're not supposed to let them fruit the first year. You pretty nearly achlieved this without trying.
Thirty canes is about right for a family who likes raspberries.

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 04:02 AM
I grew up in NZ , blackberry country and I really do miss fresh berries ....so these a are great ! Not as good as wild blackberries but pretty good !

A 20 foot run of canes ..that's 20 plants ?

And just to recap on the propagation , I divide the root ball or lift off suckers ? Either is satisfactory ?

Mark,SS
10-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Hi Peter, On raspberries , Get some earthenware pipes and sink them into the ground leaving the collar about 10" above ,plant one plant in each letting about 4-6 canes develop and espalier along wires .
As shamus said they fruit in the 2nd season . Allow 2nd growth to come on and prune spent canes at seasons end . Caution though they are HIGHLY invasive , hence the pipes . Only a couple of parent plants are needed as the proliferation of runners over the edge of the collar and thinning provides endless scope to expand the beds . Unrestrained these things will take over the garden in no time flat ! Cheers Mark

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Brilliant. You're not supposed to let them fruit the first year. You pretty nearly achlieved this without trying.
Thirty canes is about right for a family who likes raspberries.

Thanks Shamus ...how big should a plant be to divide ?

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi Peter, On raspberries , Get some earthenware pipes and sink them into the ground leaving the collar about 10" above ,plant one plant in each letting about 4-6 canes develop and espalier along wires .
As shamus said they fruit in the 2nd season . Allow 2nd growth to come on and prune spent canes at seasons end . Caution though they are HIGHLY invasive , hence the pipes . Only a couple of parent plants are needed as the proliferation of runners over the edge of the collar and thinning provides endless scope to expand the beds . Unrestrained these things will take over the garden in no time flat ! Cheers Mark

Actually Mark ,that sounds pretty good ! At A$30 per plant a mass of suckers would be pretty nice to pot up .:D

shamus
10-21-2009, 04:08 AM
Well let them fruit next year undisturbed, and then go at it. By the way some chook manure when they come into leaf next time won't go amiss.

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 04:11 AM
They're leafing up right now ...will do ! 30 C here today .

shamus
10-21-2009, 04:18 AM
I might mail you a punnet of blackberries in January. If you are good!

Phillip Allen
10-21-2009, 04:24 AM
what's a punnet?

Mark,SS
10-21-2009, 04:29 AM
A Chip ! every Kiwi & aussie Knows That

shamus
10-21-2009, 04:29 AM
A punnet is a container for small fruit. It's variable. In this case it will be about as big as is necessary to contain the amount of blackberries I can be bothered mailing.

Phillip Allen
10-21-2009, 04:31 AM
A Chip ! every Kiwi & aussie Knows That

GOOD NEWS, that must mean that Aussi-ism (for me) is in remission :)

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 04:41 AM
A punnet is a container for small fruit. It's variable. In this case it will be about as big as is necessary to contain the amount of blackberries I can be bothered mailing.
In this case the size of a matchbox ! A kind offer Shamus ...but I don't think they would travel !:D

Phillip Allen
10-21-2009, 04:43 AM
I got lots of em growing in my garden...can't seem to kill them off

shamus
10-21-2009, 04:45 AM
I dunno. We mail a hell of a lot of cherries around Christmas, in polystyrene boxes, chilled, in Express post bags. Not to mention crayfish, abalone, and pinkeye potatoes.

shamus
10-21-2009, 04:46 AM
And scallops.

Mark,SS
10-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Only in remission sorry kind Sir ,The only known elixir to ease the condition is a fruit diet , Chinese gooseberries Tree Tomatoes and Feijoas . Palliative only Not curable sorry . Peter can translate these fruits For Your consideration
Sorry about The drift Peter , though all plant suggestions worth considering over there in West Island . M

seanz
10-21-2009, 04:51 AM
Shamus; How do I get on your mailing list?
:D

shamus
10-21-2009, 04:55 AM
I don't think it would work to NZ.
Customs would eat it. Anyway u have enough fish over there.
When I spoke of 'mailing' this stuff, you should be advised I own a Post Office, so it's mostly on behalf of other folk.

seanz
10-21-2009, 04:58 AM
Peter; what's the name of the cultivar? It seems some raspberries fruit of this seasons canes and some fruit of last years canes.
Don't worry too much about how to propagate them....here they pop their heads up 2 to 3 meters away from the original plants.

I'd like to offer you more advice but I appear to have 'over-disciplined ' our raspberry patch and can't tell anybody anything about berries until it recovers.
:(:)

seanz
10-21-2009, 05:01 AM
I don't think it would work to NZ.
Customs would eat it. Anyway u have enough fish over there.
When I spoke of 'mailing' this stuff, you should be advised I own a Post Office, so it's mostly on behalf of other folk.

Ah, a professional logistics co-ordinator.....got it.

;):D

shamus
10-21-2009, 05:07 AM
Yeah, me and ACB are in the same business. He gets more money.:D

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 05:09 AM
Peter; what's the name of the cultivar? It seems some raspberries fruit of this seasons canes and some fruit of last years canes.
Don't worry too much about how to propagate them....here they pop their heads up 2 to 3 meters away from the original plants.

EEEKKK!!:( I'll be careful !

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 05:13 AM
Only in remission sorry kind Sir ,The only known elixir to ease the condition is a fruit diet , Chinese gooseberries Tree Tomatoes and Feijoas . Palliative only Not curable sorry . Peter can translate these fruits For Your consideration
Sorry about The drift Peter , though all plant suggestions worth considering over there in West Island . M

Mark ,do you have any tamarillo seed ? I lost all mine this last wet season ,I usually grow 5 or 6 at a time but this year was so wet for so long they all got root rots and died .All of them ! Full of fruit too !:(

I don't even have seed and there aren't even any fruit in the greengrocer's to get seed out of , :(
yours
desperate in Oz !

Mark,SS
10-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Leave it with Me Peter , Bit early for fruit yet , though I'll nip out to George Platt in the Waitakeries , A true Mr Smaiser on local trees .
Will PM soon on it Ok. M

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 05:39 AM
Thank you Mark ...very much appreciated .I've been growing them for years .This last year was unusually wet and caught me out !

WX
10-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Peter if you bend a cane down so that a leaf node is in contact with the soil it should strike. I grew Boysenberries years ago. Beautiful fruit but wicked thorns to tread on in bare feet.

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Peter if you bend a cane down so that a leaf node is in contact with the soil it should strike. I grew Boysenberries years ago. Beautiful fruit but wicked thorns to tread on in bare feet.

At ferndale ?

elf
10-21-2009, 06:23 AM
15 canes just about does it for me. Nowhere near enough to share.

Mrleft8
10-21-2009, 08:05 AM
If they're anything like the ones here, they'll spread faster than...... Faster than.... Er..... Faster than a rumor, all on their own.

WX
10-21-2009, 04:30 PM
At ferndale ?
Yes. I ended up digging them out as I was worried they would spread out of control...I didn't have them contained.