PDA

View Full Version : Getting older

ishmael
10-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I rebuilt my front stoop and stairs last week. A six hour day, a seven, and then a ten to get it finished, one day off for rain.

I was pooped and sore at the end of each day. I'm sure if I'd been less sedentary over the last decade it would have been easier, but at thirty I'd whip this sorta work out with energy to spare for a party. At fifty three, not so much.

switters
10-20-2009, 04:26 PM
SA rules, lets see the deck.

The more you keep moving the less you hurt in the long run.

ishmael
10-20-2009, 04:50 PM
What are "SA rules?"

I don't have a digital camera, though I have been looking for one. "Deck" would be to inflate it, it's just the small stoop and four steps that let me get in my front door. It turned out well. I still know how to make such things work, which was good to be reminded of. It's reasonably square, straight, and sound. Twenty three hours of work well spent. It cost me a buck and a half in materials, and if I'd hired it, it would have easily run 600 smackers. But I was pooped at the end of the day.

Upnorth1
10-20-2009, 05:08 PM
SA = Sailing Anarchy.

Ron Williamson
10-20-2009, 05:39 PM
SA rules=Show pics or it didn't happen.
R

Stiletto
10-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I know what you mean, I'm 60 now and a full weeks work leaves me pretty worn out.
I'm glad you got your stoop done before winter.

Paul Pless
10-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Getting older Sucks!

goodbasil
10-20-2009, 06:21 PM
"Old age is not for cowards."

bobbys
10-20-2009, 06:51 PM
As long as i can chase my Sea Hag around at night after work im doing OK..

I roofed yesterday but i chased her round but had no energy once i caught her.

O well chasing her is fun anyways!:D

John Smith
10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
I rebuilt my front stoop and stairs last week. A six hour day, a seven, and then a ten to get it finished, one day off for rain.

I was pooped and sore at the end of each day. I'm sure if I'd been less sedentary over the last decade it would have been easier, but at thirty I'd whip this sorta work out with energy to spare for a party. At fifty three, not so much.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but it gets worse. Do your best to stay active. Which also gets harder with age.

I find the hardest part of any endeavor is the first step.

Shang
10-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Oh to be fifty-three again...

Get off your duff and get active!
I was born the year the Nazis invaded Poland, want to bet money that I can beat you in a consecutive-push-up contest...?

Seriously, Ish, don't dwell on the candles on your birthday cake... they can't bury you as long as you're moving. You're a good guy with an active mind. Sure the stair building project took longer now than when it might have taken at thirty, but at thirty you didn't have the skill and experience that you have now.
Don't ever give up --there's a guy in a dark suit who will pat you on the face with a shovel when the time comes, but until then have fun and give love, and enjoy every day.

PeterSibley
10-20-2009, 10:12 PM
You aren't "older" enough. Soon, you'll start to discover your advancing age and decrepitating body, and learn how to deal with it. At 62, I've become very good at conserving movement, maximizing tool use and planning breaks into my work day. I spent 8 hours working outside today, and feel fine. I picked tomatoes, cut down and pulled the plants I harvested, dug out their roots, and planted 8 ornamental grasses in their place. I fixed a hose-end, ran the vacuum inside, took the dog for a 2-miler (her second of the day..she's much older than I am), sharpened 6 garden tools and paid bills on-line. I day-traded during my breaks, and made more than I spent paying bills, with 3 RTs.

Now I'll eat dinner, and fall asleep in my recliner while watching the ball game. Tomorrow at ~4-5AM, I'll start it all over again. Life is good when you're old. It takes just short of an entire life to learn how to deal with aging.

I've just turned 60 and still feel pretty good .I've just broken out my mountain bike and plotted out a new 4 mile hilly section ,a couple of 3/4 mile long climbs up 150 feet or so .I can do it pretty well ,but not as fast as the same distance on the flat .

Blood pressure 120 over 70 ,pulse 65 .Ticking along OK .

Chris Coose
10-20-2009, 10:38 PM
On Sunday me and the boat lifted the mooring on the coming tide and moved it a few feet. While waiting on the tide I pulled down the rig.
On the outgoing at noontime I built the frame and laid on the canvas cockpit and house cover. Near the end of the low tide I rigged to the gangway hauling frame at the end of the pier and hauled out the mast on to the pier.
Pulled the flagpole and wrapped it and the mast together aboard a temp frame I built on the stored gangway.
Finished about 5 PM mostly wiped by the Noreaster that was blowing over me all day.
Driving home I was just glad I can still make a full day of it.
Might have something to do with walking or riding my bike to and from work each day.

WX
10-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I find walking up and down a short steep slope cutting bamboo helps me lose weight :D
I'm 57 and I think at this age it becomes a matter of use it or lose it.
You are right though Ish, the aches and pains linger longer.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-20-2009, 11:01 PM
wax on.
wax off.

paladin
10-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Damned bunch of snotty nosed KIDS!

WX
10-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah right, Grandad. :D

Jim Ledger
10-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Tell it, Chuck. :D

Paul Girouard
10-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Getting older ,,,,,,,,,,,,, beats the only alternative. :D

Have you ever tried the glucosamine / conjoint-in stuff?

If not you maybe should give it a try , it's worked well for me.

And yes the best way is to keep active, when I went back to site work after about ten years of cabinet shop work the ole body had a adjustment to make , took about 4 months to "feel good" after a normal day. BTW my normal day might kill you if it really took you three days to demo and rebuild a door landing a flight of three
steps.

And yer just a kid really;)

WX
10-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Deosn't matter how old yer are, there's always somebody that will call ya sonny.:D

goodbasil
10-21-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm told that at 60 old age begins, but your not old.
At 65 one gets the onslaught of old age begins.
At 70 your old.

I turned 61 last June and I'm going to pot.
When my daughter was born in '83 I wore a 36" waist. Now I'm at 44". I've got to get it together. I won't get back to a 36" again but I could a 40" I think. I'm not "fit." And thats it. Be fit for your age. I had a personal trainer 3 years ago. She put me through the paces and it was good for me, though it didn't feel like it. (Mercy misstress.)
Trouble is you age, gain a bit of weight and start to get lazy and procrastinate more and more which leads to depression. And of course all this stuff piles up but it all has to be done, so best do it as it needs to be before your
overwhelmed.
I've been off work since July 2, and probably won't be back before spring but I've become lazy has one can get. But I've done more in the last 2 days than I have in the last 3 months and I'm feeling better for it. I was going to wash the dishes but luckily FineWoodworking #208 arrived so that saved the day.

PeterSibley
10-21-2009, 04:36 AM
Basil ,you've got to get the weigh off .At 61 it starts to get dangerous , diabetes and similar .Drop around to the hospital rehab ward and check out the 70 year olds with multiple amputations .Diabetes is not good !

edited to add .Sorry to sound so serious , but I've spent too many hours around rehab wards over the last few years .The number of people missing bits of their anatomy is depressing .

shamus
10-21-2009, 04:41 AM
Deosn't matter how old yer are, there's always somebody that will call ya sonny.:D
Ain't that the truth.

P.L.Lenihan
10-21-2009, 05:21 AM
I find walking up and down a short steep slope chasing baboons helps me lose weight :D

Jesus Gary! For a minute there you had me frightened with images of you being chased by bamboo sticks!:D :D

Cheers!

Peter

Paul Girouard
10-21-2009, 07:53 AM
For a minute there you had me frightened with images of you being chased by bamboo sticks!:D :D

Reading comprehension starts to fall off at about 48 :D

Mrleft8
10-21-2009, 07:59 AM
23 hours to build a set of front steps? Wadja do, cut down the trees, and square em up with an adze? ;)

John Meachen
10-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I still smile at the memory of a long ago article in Woodenboat,describing the original builder of a range of fishing boats who had been engaged to maintain the forty year old fleet.He said "I can still do a good days work.The trouble is it takes all week to do it.".Some of us can probably understand what he meant.

Captain Blight
10-21-2009, 05:32 PM
This is why I ride the bike all the damn time. I don't want to be a fat, creepy old dude. I want to be a fit, creepy old dude.

ishmael
10-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I've lucky been much of my adult life. Much of my work kept me fit. First environmental work, with a lot of time spent rambling, collecting samples etc, and then building stuff. Moving stuff around all day, sometimes rather heavy stuff, keeps you fit. Things started going down hill when I began doing mental health work. Much of that's behind a desk. These days I must spend ten hours each day enslaved by this machine called a computer.

That said, I've never been fat. Oh, I could lose ten pounds. A bigger problem is that tapping away at the keys seems to invite smoking tobacco, at least for me. I quit a couple weeks ago, thought I had it licked, did have the physical addiction licked, but it's back, dammit! It's somehow reflexive to take a break from scribbling and light up, sit back and contemplate how good you are. LOL.

A dog, I need a new dog! Dogs help keep you fit. They need a good ramble daily if they are going to be happy. While on one of my errands today I stopped down to a boat ramp that's a short piece from here. I stop there often to listen to old man Penobscot River. It was a spectacular Fall day here, bright and sunny, reasonably warm. There was a guy there with a pair of Scotties. You know God has a sense of humor when you meet a Scottie. They did their typical terrierist shtick. Barked a little, tore up the turf with their hind legs, and after an admonition from their owner were sweet little beasts. Comical dogs, they always remind me someway of old men, with their beards and droll faces. When I went to leave, they wanted to come with me! I had to chase them off to keep them out of the truck.

Upnorth1
10-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Ten hours at as computer would make anybody feel old. Stop that!!!

PeterSibley
10-22-2009, 02:45 AM
That was a good post Jack ,an enjoyable read ..

You're right , get a dog :):)

bob winter
10-22-2009, 05:50 AM
These days I must spend ten hours each day enslaved by this machine called a computer.

You spend that much time on the computer because you want to, not because you have to. It is a lifestyle choice. Every hour you spend sitting on your ass when you could be moving around will have its price down the road.

I will be 66 in a few days and I think I am in pretty good health. At least the doctor tells me I am. But I sure have a lot of little aches and pains I didn't have twenty years ago. Building the sunroom at this cottage this summer was hard work and I was damned tired at the end end of a day. Mainly because I spend my working days sitting and playing with numbers. After a day or two at the cottage I would find myself a whole lot less tired. It is also interesting how many muscles we don't use all that often. They have a way of reminding you that they are there after a day's work. I think I may start going to the gym again.

Popeye
10-22-2009, 06:51 AM
my fingers hurt

Tylerdurden
10-22-2009, 07:09 AM
I have reached the point where I cannot do much boat mechanical/electrical work anymore as I cannot get into the spaces and positions like I used to. I am doing a ketch right now changing the mounts on a hydraulic drive and rewiring it. I have to get the boy to help on a lot of it as I cannot get to the work. Sucks, but the doctors warned me it was coming. I have been entertaining a Service Manager desk job for a while now but don't want to move far inland where the offer stands. There is San Juan though and its looking better all the time. Problem is its a must carry city these days and I don't want to have a sidearm with me 24/7. One should not need to be prepared for a firefight to make a living. It was fine when I was young in Miami but now it gets tired real quick. Maybe Chuck understands what I am saying.

ishmael
10-22-2009, 09:52 AM
"23 hours to build a set of front steps? Wadja do, cut down the trees, and square em up with an adze?"

Front steps and a small porch, in my defense. LOL. Included in the 23 hours was a fair amount of standing around scratching my head, rounding up materials twice, and such. It wasn't until day three that things really moved. It took awhile to get back in the swing of it. The previous builder had neglected a good foundation. Parts of the old stair and porch framing were just sitting in the dirt. Digging dirt and leveling cinder blocks was the worst part of it. Not enough earth in my chart!

Fun, all in all. I like engineering and building things. And the project won't be completely finished till I go to the town hall and pull a burn permit for the debris.

skuthorp
10-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Sixty seven in a few months, I weigh what I did at 18, aroun 10 stone. I'm stronger than I've been for 30 years but somewhat less supple. Like Tyler, squeezing mysel into confined spaces gives me cramps and my old hip injury can play up if I lift too much. My recovery times are longer though I think I'm doing OK for an older bloke. Spent two days wielding a chainsaw and barrowing wood last week and moved a dozen engines and gearboxes into a skip for disposal. It'll catch up with me one day though.