PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Contrctor, Chapter-3

Nicholas Scheuer
10-20-2009, 07:08 AM
We can take the yellow "caution" tape off the Contractor's second effort early this afternoon. Everything looks good at this point as far as dimensions and finish quality are concerned.

We'll put the check in today's mail.

Too bad he lost his profit by having to do our front entry stoop replacement project twice.

Moby Nick

George Roberts
10-20-2009, 07:48 AM
"Too bad he lost his profit by having to do our front entry stoop replacement project twice"

There is nothing that prevents you from paying him twice.

Nicholas Scheuer
10-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Maybe you are independantly wealthy, George.

I certainly am not.

I find it difficult to immagine that even Bill Gates would pay for a completely bothed minor construction job.

Moby Nick

brad9798
10-20-2009, 08:04 AM
The last I read was that you approved his work.

I would thank your contractor PROFUSELY for JUST charging you what he quoted.

He is obviously a smaller outfit, and money is tight for him.

A larger contractor would have worked out a payment for the re-do before he took out the original (bad) work. If not, he would have told you to have fun taking down your steps.

Again, thank your smaller guy profusely.

He did the right thing that we always claim never gets done anymore!

Glad it worked out!

Tom Wilkinson
10-20-2009, 08:29 AM
If your mom or grandmother had contracted to to have her steps replaced, the contractor designed and built the steps and they didn't meet code and they were unsafe would yu tell her to pay for them or tell her to try to have them replaced at the contractors cost.

Is the contractor or the layman reaponsible to ensure the work meets local code?
I say contractor.

If he had asked for an exact replacement I could see the steps not meeting code and not haveing recourse against the contractor, btu the contractor redesgned the steps in this case.

Nicholas Scheuer
10-20-2009, 08:33 AM
I approved the stair "rise"; and that was BEFORE the foreman finished his "float" with a upward bow in the middle step tread; in other words, not nearly "level".

They really botched the tread depth (7" instead of 11.5") and I did not visualize that mistake by looking at the forms.

I would have taken out the defective stairway by simply calling another contractor.

There will be no "profuse thanks", just a check for the originally quoted amount.

Moby Nick

brad9798
10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
I typically thank folks for extra work ... and especially if they are losing money ... whether it be their mistake or mine.

That's just me, I guess.

He could have VERY easily left you high and dry ... like many contractors in that situation would have!

But don't worry about thanking him!

Darren McClelland
10-20-2009, 08:59 AM
I have redone work that a client was not happy with for thwe coat of my original quote it is all about reputation and referells, sometimes you cannot make everyone happy but if the error was mine I owe up to my word by doing good work and making the customer happy weven if I lose money, I make it up on reputation and work

Phillip Allen
10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
If I couldn't help the contractor I'd feel bad...I might (if I were rich...which I ain't) replace his lost concrete...the demo and rebuild is on his own nickle

George Roberts
10-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Maybe you are independantly wealthy, George.

I certainly am not.

I find it difficult to immagine that even Bill Gates would pay for a completely bothed minor construction job.

Moby Nick

It has nothing to do with having wealth. It has to do with accepting responsibility for getting a job done.

You offer to pay for the corrections. The contractor offers to do it for free.

L.W. Baxter
10-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm glad it worked out, Nicholas.

One last time, with feeling for Brad and George, homeowner's approval of incorrect form-work is meaningless, and Mr. Scheuer was correct to expect a redo, and correct to pay only the original price. I'm impressed by how quickly the contractor came back to fulfill his obligation; prompt payment is the right thing to do, and is all that should be expected.

brad9798
10-20-2009, 11:51 AM
I never said it should NOT be redone, L.W. Baxter ... Did I? :confused:

I simply said he OUGHT to do the right thing and thank the person!

I think you misread my initial posts ...

Furthermore, if I tell a contractor to do something and it turns out to be wrong, I ALWAYS at least split the difference with him ... NOT because I HAVE to ... but because it is the RIGHT thing to do.

I have worked with hundreds of contractors on over 1,000 re-hab/new construction/development projects through my family's companies.

There is a reason contractors want to get on my list ... they KNOW I am more than fair!

brad9798
10-20-2009, 11:53 AM
George- for someone that just about got killed, you still haven't learned the Golden Rule.

Hopefully, you are just f'd up on pain meds ... or something.

Quit being such an old arrogant prick, or do you enjoy it?

mobjack68
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I do believe that if this was my sandbox??? I would boot everybody out!!

I do like the way everybody is so civil towards one another and I just love that everyone is so respectful of everyone else's opinions. I come here to be reminded of what's really important in life........

just my opinion...oh what?? I'm wrong???

cs
10-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Did you see my post on part 2? In it I quote the International Building Code on what the rise and run should be.

Chad

bobbys
10-20-2009, 07:02 PM
It wont cost a dime to say thanks!

Nicholas Scheuer
10-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Chad, We've got a front door threshold elevated 18" above the front walk.

After we pitch the landing a bit we are left with 17.625" elevation at the outward edge for dividing up into three steps, because two steps would be too tall.

Someone in Chapter-1 posted that the code doesn't apply to residential. Either way, we weren't about to tear up any of the perfectly good front walk in order to accomodate the code.

The steps we ended up with in the second effort pretty well duplicate within 1/8" what we lived with for many years before it started to crumble due to ivy and ice.

Moby Nick

MiddleAgesMan
10-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Paying the quoted price promptly is all that is required. As was demonstrated in the earlier threads the contractor tried pass the responsibility off on Mr. Scheuer because he "approved" the first form. He said other things that put his company and himself in a less than professional light.

If the new steps feel about like the old ones and no one is getting tripped up by them I agree-- pay the man, count your blessings and wash your hands of the whole outfit.

cs
10-20-2009, 08:12 PM
In that case each riser should have been 5.875" in height, but if you are happy so be it.

The reason you don't want to have a variance (and the code says no more than 3/8") is for safety. A change in riser height can be very dangerous.

I went ahead and did a quick search on the International Residential Code and looked at the 2000, 2003 & 2006 version and each say the same thing, max riser height of 7-3/4" with no variance greater than 3/8".

Don't believe everything you read on a public forum. The IRC does define how stairs are to be built, whether or not your area uses the IRC is another story. A quick call to the building official in your area would answer that question.

It is probably a moot point because he is not going to come out to your house and check your 3 steps. It may come into play if ever you sell.

But like I said, if you're happy, I'm happy.

Chad

BTW your contractor should have explained to you the rules on building steps. I would have if I was him. In fact many times I have had to explain to owners why they can't do what they want to do. Example why you can't build offices in an attic space of their bank.