PDA

View Full Version : Balcotan anyone?

Kannon Bosatsu
07-23-2002, 07:40 PM
Hugh aka Shug suggested this product to me on another topic. Searching Google I found some info on it but I was wondering if anyone out there in the ether has used it? I would be substituting it for epoxy while laminating kiln dried oak frames. Also maybe to glue my dang keelson back togeather... Thank y'all in advance for your responses...

Kannon Bosatsu
07-23-2002, 08:18 PM
Oh yeah, and before I forget, Cheers Hugh. Thanks for the advice... (By the by, I was meant to sail through that New Caledonian canal of yours last month, but after being beaten up on the Atlantic for five weeks, we took the channel to Denmark...)

ken mcclure
07-23-2002, 11:33 PM
No idea, so I can't help. Just thought you'd want to know that your message is being read. tongue.gif

Hugh Paterson
07-24-2002, 04:05 AM
Jester, the Canal is wonderful (Great glen) cannot recommend it enough, indeed I was thinking of plodding through it again next year, not been on it for a couple of years. Some of you may have seen articles on it titled the "Great Glen raid"

Shuggie.

John R Smith
07-24-2002, 07:54 AM
Kate and I have used Balcotan almost exclusively for all our marine work (and a lot of domestic stuff too), but because we only discovered it 3 years ago we can't really judge its long-term effectiveness.

Just for a laugh, I glued a one-inch square by three-inch piece of mahogany on top of Lulu's cabin with absolutely no surface prep. It has been through two winters' wind and rain and is still solid as a rock.

Very easy to use, no fumes, no mixing, slow to set (compared with epoxy). Nothing like as versatile as epoxy (no use for sheathing, filling). But a terrific general woodworking glue.

John

Hugh Paterson
07-25-2002, 09:34 AM
John try and source the Bison product through your local builders merchants, very similar to balcotan, should be half the price though :D

Shug.

NormMessinger
07-25-2002, 11:00 AM
Ian Wright spoke very highly of it many months ago. I never quite caught on to what it is in US type products. Anybody know?

--Norm

Hugh Paterson
07-27-2002, 12:50 PM
For all those interested? tongue.gif
The Balcotan range
*60 112 Fibre Gel regular - Gap filling, slow setting
*60 115 Fibre Gel rapid - Gap filling, slower setting
Melco Bonding supplies
Fiddlers Green, shop lane, Congleton, Cheshire CW12 3AW. TEL/Fax 01260 276997
WWW.melcobonding.co.uk (http://WWW.melcobonding.co.uk) - email: melco@virgin.net

The Bison product is a similar polyurethane wood glue, primarily found in the construction industry over here, still trying to find the contact details will post when I locate them.

Shug.

[ 07-27-2002, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Hugh Paterson ]

Plum
07-30-2002, 06:43 AM
I have used Balcotan sucessfully for a number of years now and would recommend it. Checkout the website in the previous posting carefully and you will find that there are currently 4 types (I have only used the "regular" one).
AND, please note that these glues are NOT gap filling like an epoxy. Gaps up to 1 or 2mm appear to be OK but the problem is that the glue foams slightly in the gap and although it appears to expand and fill much larger gaps, the strength of the foamed set adhesive is not as strong.