PDA

View Full Version : CHutzpah

J. Dillon
10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Chutzpah is a Yiddish word meaning gall, brazen nerve, effrontery, kohones, sheer guts plus arrogance. It's Yiddish and, as Leo Rosten writes, "No other word, and no other language," can do it justice. This example is better than 1,000 words . . .

THE ESSENCE OF CHUTZPAH

http://f387.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f30582%5fAFN9v9EAAXpDStz68glL7TGuZ gU&pid=1.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

A little old lady sold pretzels on a street corner for 25 cents each. Every day a young man would leave his office building at lunch time, and as he passed the pretzel stand, he would leave her a quarter, but never take a pretzel.

And this went on for more then 3 years. The two of them never spoke. One day, as the young man passed the old lady's stand and left his quarter as usual, the pretzel lady spoke to him.

"Sir, thank you for your business. You are a good customer, but I have to tell you that the pretzel price has gone up to 35 cents."

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-19-2009, 07:22 PM
That's wonderful JD.
thanks.

blacksmith
10-19-2009, 07:33 PM
The classic example is the woman who buries her dead husband in a rented tuxedo....

J. Dillon
10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Yea I thought it pretty funny to. :D:D BTW I wonder if any boats have been named that ?:cool:

JD

paladin
10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
yup! a couple that I know of, one on the Chesapeake near Annapolis that I would see when tied at the end of the Chart House before they banned it as a parking place....and one in South San Francisco...both powerboats.

Tom Galyen
10-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I like the old Ann Landers definition of a person with Chutzpah:

Someone who kills both their parents then pleads for the mercy of the court because they are an orphan.

Shang
10-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Yiddish doesn't translate into English very well.
I used to work in a place where I was the only non-Jewish person on the staff. I was introduced as, "our token Goy."

"Chutzpah" was defined to me as, "Taking a crap on your doorstep, then knocking on the door to ask for toilet paper."

Captain Blight
10-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Chutzpah is the distilled essence of courage. It's what lies behind courage, and I don't mean the kind of courage that running into a burning building to save a kitten takes. I mean the kind of courage that it takes to tell your boss to sh!t in his hat and f**k straigt off and then show up to work the next day confident in the knowledge that he knows, knows you are right and he was wrong.

Gold-plated brass balls that you have to carry around in a wheelbarrow because there's no room in your britches for them.

Walking across the bar to punch that big sonofabitch square in the mouth, just to save him the walk.

Smiling at the soccer mom and telling her that you can't accommodate her request and she now has no recourse except to raise a stink.

It is courage crossed with diplomacy; to do and say the bravest possible thing in the harshest way and have it be admired.