PDA

View Full Version : Granting consents forms in a post 9-11 world

Ted Hoppe
10-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Recently my employer requested that I give my consent to a investigative consumer report and not a consumer report. This is regards to the use of company vans which I rarely if ever use:

I think this may invade my privacy rights as it grants a full background check beyond a normal credit reports ( and well into requests for information on legal actions, any/all leins, criminal record, education, as well as allowing discovery to outside people who would be will to opin on my character). I am shocked that they would request such things after several years of good employment. I have nothing to hide but I am quite reluctant to consent.

Am I out of line here by not granting consent? Or am I another 9-10 guy living in a 9-11 world?

John Meachen
10-19-2009, 04:57 PM
If the same level of reporting is done on the all the people in the organisation,it may be worth giving the matter more consideration.If the people asking consent have been subjected to it and are willing to have you view the report on themselves as an example of why you have nothing to be concerned about then maybe.If they are not willing to be scrutinised by you tell them that you share their reservations and will not willingly submit.

High C
10-19-2009, 05:09 PM
If the same level of reporting is done on the all the people in the organisation,it may be worth giving the matter more consideration.If the people asking consent have been subjected to it and are willing to have you view the report on themselves as an example of why you have nothing to be concerned about then maybe.If they are not willing to be scrutinised by you tell them that you share their reservations and will not willingly submit.

Excellent!

BrianW
10-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't like it either Ted.

But being ex-military, I had to go through the same stuff.

Ted Hoppe
10-19-2009, 06:27 PM
I too am an ex Navy spook who left the ranch long time ago. I know there is no up side in giving consent to folks who don't share your best interest. I suspect that in crappy economic times, many folks are willing to wave their privacy rights. It is not far fetched that by consumer report information that many other tabs would spring. Notably health tracking (via payments/debts), organizational relationships, political affiliations and many other pressure points. With a financial report, I suspect promotions, pay raises and restucturing could be based on things other than current criteria. It would be hard to prove a reason for discrimanition by a corporation based on personal economics and employee future fiscal forcasting.

I also chuckled thinking about the detatched board of directors giving me a peek at thier investigative reports. I have no illusions that there are many who would love to erode my rights for expedence and profit. These are the same folks who offshore every chance they get.

paladin
10-19-2009, 08:25 PM
I look at it in a similar view. When my TS + + + clearances came up for renewal I had left the company and still working on "classified" stuff.....when they came around the guys upstairs told me to forget it as I had been there too long and they knew me to well to spend the time and money to renew the clearances, and did it all under the table......Todays current world is a bit different. Everyone wants the tiniest detail of your life that they can get an eyeball in to. I'm with the rest of the guys...unless they are gonna raise your pay the equivalent of the total background information check...tell them, politely, to take a long walk off a very short pier.

Flying Orca
10-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Boy, you guys seem to put up with a lot in the "land of the free". ;)

elf
10-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Oh, yes. We have to protect our freedoms, after all.

katey
10-20-2009, 10:04 AM
A full background check for the purpose of driving a company van? Forget it. Let someone else drive. Or, if their insurance company is mandating this, for the few times they need you to drive they can rent you a van from an outside agency, with insurance. I'm sure it would be cheaper, in the long run, than doing the full check.

Have you asked them what procedures they have in place for keeping your information confidential?

Ted Hoppe
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Flying Orca
10-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Bad touch!!!

purri
10-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm with Mr Paladin on this. If isn't relevant to national security then tell them to walk. I had a high level clearance when doing very mundane stuff when with navy, only when going over to the green machine did it become relevant.
(the regional clearance cell was staffed by civilians who had no idea of what contempt the pointy end squirrels held them in)