PDA

View Full Version : The biter bit, or self inflicted wounds?

skuthorp
10-19-2009, 06:56 AM
"Suicide Bomb Kills 5 Senior Iran Military Officers

State Media Report at Least 42 Slain, Dozens Injured in Attack, Which Comes as Nation Struggles to Clamp Down on Protests

The attack took place in the Sistan-Baluchistan province, a region long plagued by Sunni insurgents who have in the past targeted Iranian soldiers and Revolutionary Guard officers. But Sunday's violence comes as Tehran struggles on another front: keeping a lid on protests and opposition activities across the country after contested presidential elections in June."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125585233185992507.html?mod=rss_Today's_Most_Pop ular

Hmm, I wonder if this is an 'own goal', a propaganda event with the side benifit of removing a possible rival or three to the present unpopular regime that is struggling to assert some authority? Wouldn't be the first time an unpopular regime has resorted to this tactic. I note with some amusement that thoughj the perp's seem to be Pakistani, the US is copping the blame.

Phillip Allen
10-19-2009, 08:31 AM
how would we know?

James McMullen
10-19-2009, 08:53 AM
I think it likely that the primary reason the US hasn't suffered another big terrorist attack inside its borders is that the seething stew of religious and tribal animosities over there has given the various factions plenty of closer, easier targets. Whether it is an 'own goal' or not by a government or an outside job by some faction or another is pretty much academic to my view.

I, Rowboat
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Didn't T-urd take all his marbles, stomp off the playground, and insist he would never play with us ever again? What happened?

John of Phoenix
10-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I think the issue proposed was "I wonder if this is an 'own goal' ". If I read that correctly, "Did the Iranians do this themselves to get some Republican Guard generals that had gotten a bit out of hand?"

I doubt it. The RG gets much of its strength being perceived as being elite and indestructible. This would not enhance that perception. Given that 13 of the Jundahlla were recently executed, I'd say it is what it appears to be, retaliation. If the Council wants to get rid of someone, even a RG general, they just do it. It sets an example for the rest.

All the parties involved... that's another matter.