PDA

View Full Version : Grandson's Baptism

bob winter
10-18-2009, 09:41 AM
The son and DIL stuck Liam in a silly dress and trotted him off to be baptised. I am not sure I approve of this sort of thing but it is totally out of my control. A few pictures:

Ready to go
http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/wintek1/liam%20baptism/100_0787.jpg

Parents

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/wintek1/liam%20baptism/100_0793.jpg

Me and the ex

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/wintek1/liam%20baptism/100_0794.jpg

I don't look all that well

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/wintek1/liam%20baptism/100_0798.jpg

Parents, godparents etc.

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/wintek1/liam%20baptism/100_0806.jpg

Phillip Allen
10-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Sweet pea!!!

Milo Christensen
10-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Bob Winter - you look exactly like my grandfather, except Peter D had much more hair at that age. I'll have to find a pic of Peter D. Any Danes from Aalborg as a grandparent?

Phillip Allen
10-18-2009, 07:57 PM
ya know...someone needs to capture that pic of Grumpy-Bob :)

bob winter
10-19-2009, 05:10 AM
I have always thought that I am very even-tempered and pleasant. I never come across well in this sort of picture, don't like posed shots all that well and I certainly didn't see any reason to have the child baptised. If one wants to get involved in religion on their own, fine and good, but I don't think it should be foisted on somebody when they are only four or five months old.

It appears that my self-view is not universally subscribed to. It seems that the DIL is going to brain-wash poor little Liam to refer to me as "cranky-pop". Highly irritating.

Ron Williamson
10-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Some of my nieces and nephews have a grandpa that they call 'Grumpa'.

The resemblance between the kid in the second photo and the cranky-pop in the third photo, should be noted.
I don't know if you'd be quite as cute in the bonnet.

I had to suffer through my own kids getting the same treatment(FIL is a UC minister) and after 13-ish years,I'm still baffled.
R

bob winter
10-19-2009, 06:13 AM
I don't always look cranky. Here is shot of my current wife and I taken during construction of the new sun room at the cottage. She doesn't like bugs so I am building her a screened in room.

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/wintek1/cottage%20pics/100_0699.jpg

cbcc
10-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Children are extremely perceptive of the true personality of those around them.

I, Rowboat
10-19-2009, 03:36 PM
My father-in-law, a reluctant Lutheran, asked if his daughter and I would mind if he went ahead and had our son baptized. Seeing as how his daughter and I are both outspoken atheists, he must've surmised that we wouldn't be getting around to it any time soon.
We were both quite offended about this proposed transgression of, and perceived shortcoming of, our job as parents. I'm happy to say that, on my side at least, both Finnegan and Freya remain second-generation unbaptised and third-generation un-churched.

switters
10-19-2009, 03:51 PM
I dont think the little man getting baptized was anymore thrilled about the dress than Bob, hence the identical facial expressions. Can't say I blame them.

Tom Galyen
10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Post #10 is possibly the saddest post I've ever read on this or any other forum. I mourn for you and yours. And to say that you are happy about the situation makes me pity you and them greatly. To miss out on the greatest gift is truly warrant pity.

End of rant, I just wanted one person to witness to the Truth. I'll say no more.

bob winter
10-19-2009, 04:24 PM
DIL's family is traditional, so dress it was. Son couldn't give a damn if he was baptised or not. My ex has absolutely no use for the Catholic church, strange considering she very nearly became a nun at one stage in her life, and thought the whole thing was ill advised.

As to above comment regarding "current wife". I sincerely hope she is the last. Wonderful woman. Women are are all very wonderful and exciting when one is younger but, if anything happens to Gerry, I will likely get an additional cat and hire a housekeeper. Although maybe not, my dad had a housekeeper for years and they fought worse than most married couples. He used to sulk when he lost the argument, which seemed to be most of the time, but eventually apologized when the house started to be more of a mess than usual.

As to post 10. I am not going anywhere near that one except to say I have known many people who seem to manage without religion and get through life in a happy state. One person's sadness is not necessarily the same as another's.

I, Rowboat
10-19-2009, 04:40 PM
DIL's family is traditional, so dress it was. Son couldn't give a damn if he was baptised or not. My ex has absolutely no use for the Catholic church, strange considering she very nearly became a nun at one stage in her life, and thought the whole thing was ill advised.

As to above comment regarding "current wife". I sincerely hope she is the last. Wonderful woman. Women are are all very wonderful and exciting when one is younger but, if anything happens to Gerry, I will likely get an additional cat and hire a housekeeper. Although maybe not, my dad had a housekeeper for years and they fought worse than most married couples. He used to sulk when he lost the argument, which seemed to be most of the time, but eventually apologized when the house started to be more of a mess than usual.

As to post 10. I am not going anywhere near that one except to say I have known many people who seem to manage without religion and get through life in a happy state. One person's sadness is not necessarily the same as another's.

Mr. Winter -- I often refer to TLOML as "the first wife" at parties, which she thinks is hilarious. She is, after all, TLOML.

Mr. Gaylen -- Hey, although I have little regard for your opinions on this and just about any other matter, your kind words in the post above have brought a twinkle to my eye. Thanks for that, buddy. ;)

I'm baffled as to why you think that living under the mental shackles of a Bronze Age superstitious death-cult constitutes "the greatest gift" I could bestow upon my children. :confused:
Can anyone fill me in on this one?

I, Rowboat
10-19-2009, 04:45 PM
at the same time how lucky for you to have someone worthy of your pity.
Hey -- I'm sure he meant to couch it in a tone humble piety, but got distracted right as he hit the [enter] button. Maybe he can go back and edit it.

I, Rowboat
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
nope, when you got the Truth there's no reason for humility. Now if you were his boss or superior in the church there would be reason for humility but you blew it by dissing the whole bowl of spagetti.

Right, I understand the spaghetti part, but I'm a little unclear on the volcano and the midget pirates. Also, is it OK to break the spaghetti in two if it doesn't fit into the pot? It's two-quart saucepan (the bigger one needs to be washed).

I, Rowboat
10-19-2009, 05:21 PM
You may break the spagetti but not in anger, if you feel shame you must make more appetizers or clean the toilet. Go forth and speak of this no more.

You made appetizers? <gasp> Get back in the closet, you filthy appetizer-eating pervert! Appetizers are an abomination!

Not to worry, though. You can be cured -- you weren't born this way. Why don't you hand those appetizers over to me, so that they tempt you no longer. Hey, is that prosciutto? I'll need to "confiscate" that, too.

I'm sampling these merely so I am more informed about the danger of this dire moral enemy.

Nanoose
10-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm baffled as to why you think that living under the mental shackles of a Bronze Age superstitious death-cult constitutes "the greatest gift" I could bestow upon my children. :confused:
Can anyone fill me in on this one?

Man!....please educate me as to this "Bronze Age superstitious death-cult" that baptizes infants in contemporary America. What's it called?

I, Rowboat
10-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Man!....please educate me as to this "Bronze Age superstitious death-cult" that baptizes infants in contemporary America. What's it called?

Haven't you heard? I can't believe you're missing out on it. :(
Your post is probably the saddest post I've seen here or anywhere else. After all, it is the Greatest Gift Ever. Too bad for you.

Don't tell me you're with the hipper, more badass JC. Don't you know what kind of temper he has? Oh, I fear for you. As an author, He will take it as faint praise indeed when he learns that you've decided that vast portions of His Big Book can now be safely dismissed.

James McMullen
10-19-2009, 08:39 PM
What a dreadfully condescending post by Tom Gaylen. (#18) I happen to know I, Rowboat and his family personally, and they are some of the happiest, most content and self-reliant people in my entire circle of friends and aquaintances. I don't know a single person of religious bent who lives his life with as much verve, gusto and joie de vivre as Chad does. He's not waiting for some possible future reward reward in Heaven--he lives his life to the fullest right now!

I, Rowboat
10-19-2009, 09:09 PM
What a dreadfully condescending post by Tom Gaylen. (#18) I happen to know I, Rowboat and his family personally, and they are some of the happiest, most content and self-reliant people in my entire circle of friends and aquaintances. I don't know a single person of religious bent who lives his life with as much verve, gusto and joie de vivre as Chad does. He's not waiting for some possible future reward reward in Heaven--he lives his life to the fullest right now!

Aw, schucks, James. Thanks. Same back at ya. And may I observe that, as far as I know, you also have never gone through town in a drunken, arsonist's rage, raping or stealing whatever would not combust. Because we could, you know. We have no supernatural moral restraint preventing this.

Say, what are you doing this weekend? :D