PDA

View Full Version : Boat - or Not Boat?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-18-2009, 07:15 AM
Designed by nutters - build by welding - paddled by (French?) Canadians.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkDfE7LF168

Paul Pless
10-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Those kinda hydraulics are spooky. That rescue craft seems like a lost cause. The fact of the matter is, that unless trained rescue personel are on station, if you get caught in such a situation, your survival will rest on your own skills, physical strength and ability, and luck.

I've rescued three people from similar situations, one of which would have surely died if I had not been there. I've also personally known two others that have died in that type of current.

John Smith
10-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Designed by nutters - build by welding - paddled by (French?) Canadians.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkDfE7LF168
Don't know if I'd want my rescue to depend on this, but it sure looks like fun to play with.

Bruce Taylor
10-18-2009, 09:03 AM
paddled by (French?) Canadians.....

"That's the way, Tabernac!"

Yup, Québécois.

(Tabernac / Tabernouche = Tabernacle)

Phillip Allen
10-18-2009, 09:07 AM
it's a float but not a boat...a pfd floats too but no one thinks they're boats

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Those kinda hydraulics are spooky. ....

True - I've swum in two different ones - and the view from the bottom is strange - there's a real temptation to panic.

James McMullen
10-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Surf city, baby! Still, it can't carve it up like a hardshell can.

David G
10-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Wh@t FUN! Makes me think of a nautical Gumby.

Hard to imagine that the provincial authorities would stock one near each dangerous site. Can't imagine them being effective otherwise. Or... are they thinking that a kayaking outfitter will have one of these tagging along on each outing? It's all a bit puzzling what the scheme might be.

I'd say, yes, it's definitely a boat. An oddity of a boat, but a boat nonetheless. I could imagine having all sorts of whitewater fun in it!

I wonder if the horizontal bar across the peak of the angled top-frame members couldn't be lengthened enough to preclude a full knockdown, and simplify the righting. Maybe not, but might be worth looking at.

Kaa
10-18-2009, 04:19 PM
It's basically a cataraft with roll bars :-)

Doubt it will be much fun in serious whitewater because you can't control it well enough.

Kaa

David G
10-18-2009, 05:54 PM
It's basically a cataraft with roll bars :-)

Doubt it will be much fun in serious whitewater because you can't control it well enough.

Kaa

Agreed. It's more like a beachball than a scalpel. I still think it'd be a hoot.

James McMullen
10-18-2009, 09:05 PM
I wanna see someone run Lava Falls in that puppy!

BarnacleGrim
10-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Isn't that pretty much a self-righting life raft with the canopy removed?

Nicholas Scheuer
10-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Who would want to be "rescued" by any of those nuts?

I grew tired of watching the contraptions ride the rapids while tethered, and so deleted the video before it ended. Did I miss much?

Moby Nick

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Who would want to be "rescued" by any of those nuts?....
If you'd ever been in a hole like that you might appreciate the prospect of rescue - by anybody.

. Did I miss much?

Yup - the rescue mode.

I cannot think is is really practical - but sort of interesting none the less.

Saltiguy
10-19-2009, 07:13 AM
I believe this was designed and built in Tenner Lemonhands boatyard.

skuthorp
10-19-2009, 07:21 AM
It's like going to sea in a rubber pretzel!

P.L.Lenihan
10-19-2009, 07:29 AM
I believe this was designed and built in Tenner Lemonhands boatyard.

Sorry Saltiguy, as flattering as your guess may be, but this puppy is a USA toy:

http://www.creaturecraft.com/

The linked video however was filmed here in Quebec as witnessed by the yellow Hydro Quebec sign near the start of the video which warns and forbids of trespassing.

Neat water toy!

Cheers!

Peter

Brian Palmer
10-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Those are pretty tame low head dams they are playing with. The boil line is not much farther from the dam than the width of the raft. The latter dams are practically curtain falls instead of low head dams. In the rescue at the end, the "victim" is not even being backwashed and recirculated to the bottom.

Check out the other suggested videos for a real low head dam situation. I expect that raft, epsecially with only oar and paddle power would get stuck like every other floating object.

Brian