PDA

View Full Version : Giant KFC logo visible from space

MiddleAgesMan
10-17-2009, 09:28 PM
While reading about the tiny town of Rachel, NV, right on the edge of Area 51, I came across a reference to a giant logo KFC constructed there. It's very small in this link but you can zoom in on it easy enough.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=rachel+nevada&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Rachel,+NV&gl=us&ei=92TaSrjrMZTR8Qaf4Zy3BQ&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAA&num=10&abstate=A:actbar-saveto

Maybe KFC figured aliens would be tempted to try their chicken and take some home with them. :)

S/V Laura Ellen
10-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Neat...Maybe we should all get together an put a big WoodenBoat logo out in the desert somewhere!

huisjen
10-18-2009, 09:06 AM
WB logo in the Desert? Don't be silly. Follow Dubai's lead.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/7000/7040/palmis_ast_2006261_lrg.jpg

Dan

boylesboats
10-18-2009, 09:29 AM
there a stain or some sort on the highway.. looks like a shadow of upside bowl...

Mrleft8
10-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Gosh! And that doesn't look photoshopped or anything!!! :rolleyes:

George.
10-18-2009, 09:37 AM
It's very dismaying. As alien visitors approach Earth, one of the first signs of life they get is Hitler's televised speeches, quickly followed by American sitcoms. From low Earth orbit they see a KFC logo. Almost giving up hope of finding intelligent life, they try scanning those glass fibers that some pesky little bipeds keep stringing everywhere, and promptly come upon the Bilge. This way we'll never have any visitors that actually land. :mad: :D

sailboy3
10-18-2009, 09:43 AM
It's very dismaying. As alien visitors approach Earth, one of the first signs of life they get is Hitler's televised speeches, quickly followed by American sitcoms. From low Earth orbit they see a KFC logo. Almost giving up hope of finding intelligent life, they try scanning those glass fibers that some pesky little bipeds keep stringing everywhere, and promptly come upon the Bilge. This way we'll never have any visitors that actually land. :mad: :D

Is there any intelligent life to find?:D

MiddleAgesMan
10-18-2009, 10:54 AM
It's about 65,000 colored tiles, not Photoshopped:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel,_Nevada

"In 2006 KFC created a giant company logo on the ground at the north edge of Rachel and claimed it to be the first logo visible from space. "[It] marked the official debut of a massive global re-image campaign that will contemporize 14,000-plus KFC restaurants in over 80 countries over the next few years."[1] Constructed in early November, it took six days on site to assemble its 65,000 colored tiles on 87,500 square feet (8,130 m2) of flat desert terrain. The logo also had a hidden message on the tie area of the logo that featured an impostor colonel holding a sign over his head, reading "Finger Lickin Good". Although the logo was removed in mid-2007, it is still visible on Google Earth."

As I understand it, the logo is no longer there but the Google Earth images haven't been updated. I looked on Mapquest and it's not shown there any longer.

huisjen
10-18-2009, 04:41 PM
I looked at the Google Maps satellite image and the Mapquest satellite image of my place and they're the same image. I like the color balance on the Mapquest one a little better though.

Dan

MiddleAgesMan
10-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Weird. I can't see my house on Google Earth (it's lost under trees) but there's a decent image on Mapquest. I had assumed they used different sources but apparently there's some sharing going on.