PDA

View Full Version : Home made window inserts for winter insulation

rbgarr
10-17-2009, 11:35 AM
I've been making some of these for windows today. They are hardly noticeable and do a good job of cutting down on road noise, an advantage I hadn't anticipated. :D

http://www.arttec.net/Thermal-Windows/index.html

Milo Christensen
10-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Are you using double sided tape to hold the shrink film to the frame? It's a good idea to also put a strip of packing tape over the edge of the shrink film such that the tape is half on the film, half on the frame.

These things work great.

rbgarr
10-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Yes.

MiddleAgesMan
10-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Is there any problem with condensation?

rbgarr
10-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Not as far as I know, but it depends how well the foam seals against the window frame.

Milo Christensen
10-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Is there any problem with condensation?

From my experience, if you put them up before heating season, before the humidity level - inside and outside - has dropped, there's a little condensation. Ongoing condensation would indicate some combination of too high an interior humidity or a window that's so cold consideration should be given to replacing it while the tax credit is still available.

Canoeyawl
10-17-2009, 01:13 PM
These plastic windows remind me of the lukewarm weekends late in October when we would remove the storm windows from upstairs in the barn.
Ummm - the cedar smell of the old barn half-full of stovewood and the somber downeast light coming through the dooryard only hinting of those dog days of summer...
Washing them with old linen dishtowels, the youngest would be checking the little nails with the numbers on the head on the sash to match the marked nails on the house while someone (dad or uncle Joe, the fireman) was up on a ladder checking the shutter hardware, removing the screens and replacing them with the (clean) storm windows one at a time.
That was a busy weekend… and next weekend (if it wasn’t a biting cold rain) we would put up the banking boards. Then maybe just before thanksgiving the ladders would come out again for one last cleaning of the gutters before it all froze solid.
Now this was a lot of work and took the joint efforts of the entire family with Grandmother supervising and feeding us, but that little cape cod house was as snug as could be during the winter. That house could be partitioned off on the inside simply by closing doors to provide the inner sanctum of a large kitchen heated by an equally large black woodstove.
In the late 1950’s to go along with the 2 cent per gallon fuel oil the house was renovated with modern windows, walls were knocked out to open up the interior and all was forgotten until winter set in for real. Now the place is lonely and cold, the heating bills are terrifying and we all go to warmer climes. Kind of a shame, but the family is smaller and there is no one to do the work. Besides, all the storm windows and banking boards went to the dump…
I’m going home next week to help close up the place for the winter again.

rbgarr
10-17-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd forgotten about those "nailheads with numbers". :D

We had coal for a while in the fifties. I have a single memory of the coal truck arriving and dumping a load through the chute into the basement.