PDA

View Full Version : Concrete contractor screwup -- Chap 2

Nicholas Scheuer
10-16-2009, 05:47 PM
So we faxed a couple of detailed drawings over to the contractor yesterday showing a set of front entry stairs with 6"rise and 11-1/2" tread, per standard trade dimensions with which the sum of the rise and tread is supposed to equal 17-1/2".

Well, the wrecking arrived at 8;30 am and took out the screwed up stairway with a jackhammer. Then the form crew arrived and started setting up forms before I got home from a trip to the office. When I arrived and went out to see their progress, the foreman sais, "will 10" treads be OK?"

I said, "You didn't see my drawings?"

"No".

I gave him a set for hs very own, showing 11-1/2" treads.

This Contractor sure runs one fu---d-up company.

Moby Nick

gert
10-16-2009, 06:05 PM
6" seems kinda small IMHO; I always thought it was 7 /10

Nicholas Scheuer
10-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Actually it's 7"x10.5".

It's a proportional thing; with rise and tread being inversely proportional. It's 7 x 10.5" ; 6 x 11.5" ; 9" x 8.5" ; etc.

The sum of the rise and tread should equal 17.5".

I had an earlier thread a couple of days ago in which a lot of folks here were basically all saying the same things.

My Contractor is a "numb-nut", plain and simple.

After his fairly belligerant appearance here, he did appologise to my wife over the phone and termed his crew's work, "baby steps".

Moby Nick

MiddleAgesMan
10-17-2009, 06:41 AM
There is a formula but it isn't tread plus rise, it's tread plus twice the rise should equal 25. If the steps follow that formula they will feel natural and aren't likely to trip anyone up.

cs
10-17-2009, 08:22 AM
The formula of T+ (2)R = 25" is from the Standard Building Code (SBC) (and that formula is not entirely correct and I don't have it in front of me). But regardless the SBC is being replaced by the International Building Code (IBC).

The IBC uses a flatter stair than the SBC. A set of stairs take up more horizontal room with a max tread height of 7" and a min tread depth of 11".

1009.3 Stair Treads and Risers.
Stair riser heights shall be 7 inches maximum and 4 inches minimum. Stair tread depths shall be 11 inches minimum. The riser height shall be measured vertically between the leading edges of adjacent treads. The greatest riser height within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 0.375 inch. The tread depth shall be measured horizontally between the vertical planes of the foremost projection of adjacent treads and at right angle to the tread's leading edge. The greatest tread depth within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 0.375 inch

Of course riser height and tread depth are covered by whichever building code that you are under and I don't know which you fall under.

I will look for your other thread and find your total rise and I will figure your riser height for you.

Chad

cs
10-17-2009, 08:28 AM
That was too easy. If your total rise is 18" than you need 3 risers of 6" = 18" and 2 treads of 11" = 22"

Chad

Mrleft8
10-17-2009, 08:30 AM
The IBC uses a flatter stair than the SBC. A set of stairs take up more horizontal room with a max tread height of 7" and a min tread depth of 11".

Chad IBC also makes good root beer...;)

John Smith
10-17-2009, 09:27 AM
I have absolutely no expertise in this area, but I'd suspect if I'm paying for it, I'm entitled to have my steps any size I wish as long as they don't violate some code.