PDA

View Full Version : I saw Al Green last night

Hwyl
10-16-2009, 08:31 AM
He lived up to my expectations and more, he put on a great show and I really enjoyed it. I'd still like to see him in his church in Memphis, but there's not the urgency now.

He was the consummate professional, entertaining and flashing his charismatic smile, I was wondering on the way home how many performances he has given, if you only count the secular stuff, it must be many thousands.

Still he was dancing and singing, throwing roses to the girls. Hitting and holding the high notes, interjecting his musical chuckle.

He was great, his chorus consisted of three of his daughters (he said).

There were two male dancers, that I could have done without, I think I may have been a better dancer in my heyday.

I was ambivalent about going, I was on my own. I'd had a tense meeting in the afternnon and had refereed an intense and very cold soccer game, When I got in my car, I did not relish the drive to Boston, but boy I'm glad I did.

I expected at least one Gospel song or maybe a "bless you" or two. The show was completely non religious however.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-16-2009, 11:04 AM
You are truly blessed, Gareth!
Did he do "Take Me To The River"?

Hwyl
10-16-2009, 12:21 PM
No he didn't, he did do one minute vignettes of other soul artists. Did two or three Sam Cook songs. I think Sam was a big influence."My Girl" the temps version was great. I love the line "I've go so much honey baby, the bees envy me".
My next boat, if I get one will be called Bees Envy.

peter radclyffe
10-16-2009, 12:21 PM
hallelujah, lucky you

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-17-2009, 10:08 PM
http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/entertainment/08/04/16_green_lg.jpg