PDA

View Full Version : Miracle baby survives being run over by train in Melbourne

Larks
10-16-2009, 04:04 AM
Amazing but scary footage from security camera shows a baby in a stroller rolling off the railway station platform and being run over by a train yesterday. To save you any trauma when you watch it I'll tell you now that miraculously it survived with only a bump on the head.

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=383672

seanz
10-16-2009, 04:10 AM
Saw the video on the news here.....bloody horrible. Watching a woman try to push away a moving train is gut wrenching.
Just glad it worked out OK.

PeterSibley
10-16-2009, 05:23 AM
Yep ,I saw it too .A nightmare scenario for Mum , she'll never for get that one !

Phillip Allen
10-16-2009, 05:32 AM
okay...I opened the thread...but I still cannot make myself watch the vid...

JimJ
10-16-2009, 07:53 AM
There is a new Australian standard specifically to prevent accidents like this one.

Mandatory pram and stroller standard commences

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission today launched a consumer safety alert highlighting the new mandatory standard for prams and strollers which came into effect today (1 July 2008).
The new standard draws on critical safety features of the Australian/New Zealand Standard for prams and strollers, and was developed following tragic incidents where children have been killed or injured when their strollers rolled away from carers. It requires a tether strap to give carers a means of restraining prams and strollers, in addition to a parking brake. There is also a requirement for a restraint harness to prevent falls and requirements to eliminate entrapment hazards.
"With the new mandatory safety standard for prams and strollers coming into effect from 1 July, suppliers need to ensure that their products include the safety features specified by the mandatory standard," ACCC Chairman, Mr Graeme Samuel, said. "The ACCC will be monitoring the market to check that products are compliant."
The safety alert reminds carers of the ways children could be injured in a pram or stroller such as falls, entrapment causing suffocation, crushing injuries or 'runaway' hazards, and provides safe use information. The safety alert provides tips to avoid injuries and a safety checklist. Carers are encouraged to use the tether strap to prevent the stroller rolling away and to use the parking brake when the stroller is stationary.

jonboy
10-16-2009, 11:56 AM
'Miracle baby'...? what was Jesus doing in Melbourne??

thiings come in threes they say... there was a more tragic news report in UK this week...a couple's attention being diverted for a sec whilst strolling along the Prom, and the buggy and kid rolling off into the sea with sad and unfortunate consequences... even allowing for the said moment of inattention being the married father of kid snogging his girlfriend ...
maybe the third one has already been the 'missing baloon child' saga...

skuthorp
10-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Happened just up the road from me. One rolled over an embankment the other week too, it's the kind of thing that happens all the time except not on stations and not when the train is coming and not with a camera rolling. Theoretically they come with a lanyard, but they get lost or are considered a bother. Stuff happens everyday but we don'toften hear about it.

sailboy3
10-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I wonder if that lady is going to wear a belt in the future instead of having her kid roll onto the tracks while she's busy hitching up her trousers.

skuthorp
10-16-2009, 07:53 PM
To what purpose boylesboats? There's no evidence that she's a 'bad mother' quite the contrary. Just a lapse in concentration, a bad result from an ordinary action. Lifes a risk, things happen, I'm sure the next baby carriage will, as all do here, have a brake, and in her case probably an anchor!
The design of platforms, 1880's, and current trains, 1980's-2005, don't quite match and that's a transport operator problem. Last year an independent man in a wheelchair was killed in a similar fashion. People have slipped down between train and platform, (extra high heels have been part of this problem).
I guess it's a balance of risk between over regulation and common sense, the childrens wading pool is a bigger killer than this.

skuthorp
10-16-2009, 08:38 PM
It's a hard balance to get right, and their careers are stuffed if they get it wrong. The state care system has made major stuff ups here too, but they have trouble retaining staff because of the stresses of the job. And it does attract idealogues of course, they are the ones that will stay the course and inevitably end up in charge. No easy answers I'm afraid. I think that children have always been at risk and any idealising of a perfect past is just sanitising history. I went to school with kids whose parents beat, starved, and no doubt abused some of them in a sexual manner. But often they were just repeating their own childhood pattern. The kid next door was brutalised by the Christian Brothers at his school, a nun locally had a fearsome reputation and was eventuatally done over by one of her female former pupils. I like to think things have improved, but the incident here had nothing to do with that. The child may have some trauma as a result, it's mother even more I think.

Larks
10-17-2009, 05:04 AM
It made me wonder why the platform would camber towards the track - I thought that may have been recognised as a risk a long time ago for strollers, wheelchairs and so on. I understand that it would seem logical for rain run off but it'd be easy enough camber away from the track and have grilled gutters inboard

JimD
10-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Train Baby and Balloon Boy need to team up. There's gotta be an angle in there somewhere.