PDA

View Full Version : Is the economy on the upswing?

TimH
10-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Or just the first uphill of the W shaped recovery they have been talking about.
They say consumer sentiment is the most important thing for the economy. What is yours?

John Smith
10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Or just the first uphill of the W shaped recovery they have been talking about.
They say consumer sentiment is the most important thing for the economy. What is yours?

I don't see how the economy really gets better until we find a way to get things manufactured here.

If we can use taxpayer dollars to bail out a corporation, why can we not have tax incentives for individuals who buy the product of that corporation?

TimH
10-15-2009, 12:43 PM
I would think jobs would be an important factor, but people seem content with a "jobless recovery"

bob winter
10-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I am the first to admit that I have no idea of where the economy is going - especially the US economy. Signs in Canada would seem to indicate that there is some sort of recovery going on. Unemployment fell last month and I just heard that real estate sales are very strong. I wouldn't count on this lasting, though, given the fact the Canadian dollar seems to be aproach parity the the US dollar. This not a good thing from the viewpoint of exporters. Exporters who price in Canadian dollars will find that they may price themselves out of the market. Exporters who price in US dollars, such as the company I am the CFO of, will have a nasty impact on the bottom line. A few points in the exchange rate can mean a lot.

TimH
10-17-2009, 12:59 PM
88 views and only 8 votes?

TimH
10-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Here in Silicon Valley things havent started improving yet. From what I have heard on the news things in Seattle may be improving.
Strange because Seattle is usually lagging behind the rest of the country in economic swings by.

ripley699
10-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Many months ago I predicted that the economy would REALLY go in the tank later part of the year.I still do and I think that by January or Feb we will see all helll break loose. There are 1 million new home[not new construction] foreclosures about to begin nd the commercial real estate market has barely begun its freefall !

Hold on to your hats !

Milo Christensen
10-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Commercial real estate issues haven't been getting much press, but it's all bad or worse than bad. A lot of already hard pressed banks are going to take huge hits in the coming meltdown in commercial real estate.

pipefitter
10-17-2009, 03:31 PM
I don't see how the economy really gets better until we find a way to get things manufactured here.

I agree with this statement more than anything I am hearing otherwise. We're going to need another technological/manufacturing boom or something along those lines and even then, I don't see long term stability with such a notion, with there being that constant looming incentive to pimp everything off overseas once it reaches equilibrium. It seems like they are just moving tired money around. I'd rather everyone make a little bit of real money over a longer period of time than try to make it overnight and worry about tomorrow when it arrives. If in the event that we do start to recover, I hope people have learned from this experience, regardless of what the fed says or does. It's time to make the markets earn their money more fairly. I think it is the one place where the citizens of this country could have long term control over corporate America.

Unemployment rates just reached 11% here in Florida.

JBreeze
10-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Commercial real estate issues haven't been getting much press, but it's all bad or worse than bad. A lot of already hard pressed banks are going to take huge hits in the coming meltdown in commercial real estate.

You might consider taking a small flyer on long-term call options on SRS....I also have been thinking comm. RE will be weak, so I bought some. I don't think the commercial RE folks will be beneficiaries of tax incentives like the 1st time home buyers are receiving.

George Roberts
10-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Banks are making a killing borrowing from one arm of the government at almost 0% and lending to another arm of the government are 4%. We should all get such a deal.

Our income is still increasing - it never decreased. Our local investments seem to be doing as expected. Our public investments seem to be going up. Cannot ask for much more.

Phillip Allen
10-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Mark, I wish you would remove that animation...I find it very disturbing

rnb1016
10-17-2009, 10:35 PM
The economy on wall st. is on the upswing, main st., not so much.
Seems thst the big banks are up to thier same old tricks, only this time instead of gambling the wealth of our country on sub-prime mortgages, they're working on buying up life insurance policies for pennies on the dollar and other exotic financial instruments that are so complex that the government agencies that are charged with the oversight, don't understand them enough to even tell if they're legal.

When it comes to financial institutions, too big to fail is too big to allow.

Milo Christensen
10-17-2009, 11:29 PM
You might consider taking a small flyer on long-term call options on SRS....I also have been thinking comm. RE will be weak, so I bought some. I don't think the commercial RE folks will be beneficiaries of tax incentives like the 1st time home buyers are receiving.

I've always stayed away from anything like this. Way too much risk at this point of my retirement. Nowhere for SRS to go but up or out though. Is the proposed class action investor's lawsuit going anywhere?

goodbasil
10-18-2009, 12:59 AM
It's on the upswing, up here anyway.

ishmael
10-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Hell if I know! The latest stats seem to indicate a minor deflation going on, and as mentioned the commercial real estate ****e has yet to hit the fan. What the affect of our massive deficit spending and the dollar loose from it moorings will be is anyone's guess, but my gut tells me it won't be good.

Phillip Allen
10-18-2009, 06:47 AM
No problem, sorry it took so long.

thank you...very much

cookie
10-18-2009, 07:09 AM

I agree with this statement more than anything I am hearing otherwise. We're going to need another technological/manufacturing boom or something along those lines and even then, I don't see long term stability with such a notion, with there being that constant looming incentive to pimp everything off overseas once it reaches equilibrium. It seems like they are just moving tired money around. I'd rather everyone make a little bit of real money over a longer period of time than try to make it overnight and worry about tomorrow when it arrives. ........

Unemployment rates just reached 11% here in Florida.

Maybe adjusting wages and labour circumstances to Asian levels would help :eek: