PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel

nukilic
07-29-2001, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know where I could find plans to make a traditional wooden spoked steering wheel? I think I would like to laminate it from mahogany or walnut.

paladin
07-29-2001, 11:30 AM
In two separate back issues of Woodenboat. You ARE a SUBSCRIBER are you not? The article was an excellent one and you can get the back issues from woodenboat with the color photos, or Woodenboat publishes a small book of "a bunch of neat projects" or something of the like for about the same price. I have built three and they are absolutely beautiful. The article was extremely well written.

holzbt
07-29-2001, 12:12 PM
"A Yankee Way With Wood" by Meras(?) has a chapter about wheel making with photos and diagrams. Hubs are available from Edson.

Dave R
07-29-2001, 01:59 PM
Pick up "25 Woodworking Projects For Small and Large Boats".
http://www2.mailordercentral.com/wbstore/images/325107.JPG
The first Chapter is an article by Michael Podmanicsky on making wheels.

You can order it from The WoodenBoat Store.

dasboat
07-29-2001, 02:11 PM
DaveR,What is the secret to posting,as you just did with the 25 projects book,without using photopoint?
I assume you didnt use them because their hosting stuff was not displayed.Is that another image posting service by chance or did you discover the secret to the cyber universe?

Bruce Hooke
07-30-2001, 01:50 PM
dasboat: In answer to your question about how DaveR posted the picture of the book -- the technique used to link to a photo on PhotoPoint or a similar service will also work to link to a photo on almost any other site on the web. If you go to a random web page, right click on a photo, and select 'properties' (Explorer) or 'Copy Image Link' (Netscape 6) you will get the URL for that photo, which you can then insert into your message on the forum. HOWEVER, there are a number of caveats:

1. If the site you are "borrowing" the picture from changes the URL of the picture then your link will, of course, no longer work.

2. If the picture is part of a montage of pictures the source site may have made it into one picture in which case you will only be able to link to the entire montage. Similarily, in some case sites will choose to make a picture and some associated text into one image. In that case you will only be able to get the image and text...

3. This is not really a nice thing to do in most cases because you put traffic on the source site's web server each time someone opens the forum thread in which you included the picture link.

4. It is probably a copyright violation in most cases (not that anyone is likely to do much about it).

5. There are ways to block this sort of thing and some sites do so...

All of that said, in this case I doubt WoodenBoat will have any objections since it is their book that Dave is plugging!

Dave R
07-30-2001, 06:57 PM
Yah sure, Bruce is right. I wouldn't have posted that except I found it in the WoodenBoat Store. I ordered my copy there, too. Anyway, I figured it wouldn't make the WB folks mad since I wasn't suggesting a book from somewhere else. Besides, it's the only book I know of that has good instructions on making a wheel.

Thanks, Bruce for the explanation.

paladin
07-30-2001, 07:37 PM
and the drawings and other stuff is fantastic. I purchased the Edsen hub and used it for a pattern and cast in the boats name and construction/launch date. Super nice.....

paladin
07-30-2001, 09:35 PM
Just dug out the file http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif The articles appeared in Woodenboat July/August 1992 Issue 107, and was completed in September/October 1992 Issue number 108. Really nice article.....

nukilic
07-31-2001, 01:34 AM
Thanks for your help. I found the articles you mentioned in my back issues of WB.They will be really helpful.Where is that Edson hardware available from?
Don

paladin
07-31-2001, 06:33 AM
The Edson Corp. (Edson International) 508-995-9711 or fax 1-800-338-5021........They also advertise in Woodenboat.