PDA

View Full Version : Ish...?

Shang
10-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Have we heard from Ish lately?
I've been out of circulation for a few days...

Paul Pless
10-14-2009, 08:15 PM
maybe he and mm are chillin out together

Glen Longino
10-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Good question! I hope he's okay.
I suspect he's met a lovely woman with a lovely boat and is with her in the islands for the winter.
Pics please!

Hwyl
10-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Ishmael, last activity 4:41 yesterday.

MM has been banned, but I don't know why. He's been divesting himself of his WBF facebook friends. I got dumped by him and Sue. I said she was a good artist because a picture she painted of him looked human.

He said I was being negative.

Shang
10-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Awww...
MMike and Ish are classics here, and we miss them both when they're not not among us.

(Okay, Joe is too...)

Shang
10-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Good question! I hope he's okay.
I suspect he's met a lovely woman with a lovely boat and is with her in the islands for the winter.
Pics please!

Wouldn't that be great... either scenario...

Paul Girouard
10-14-2009, 10:03 PM
MM has been banned, but I don't know why. He's been divesting himself of his WBF facebook friends. I got dumped by him and Sue. I said she was a good artist because a picture she painted of him looked human.

Tragic , do you feel "Gut shot" ? :rolleyes:

Sue H.
10-15-2009, 09:18 AM
What you actually said, Gareth, was "Makes you look almost human. Quite a skill."

I took that as a cheap shot, not as a compliment. You also brought up Wild Drongo, which is ancient history and something Mike has apologized for numerous times. I found it petty and petulant. Perhaps I'm misreading you, but that was my take on it, and I honestly expected better from you than that.

I don't like to get caught up in personalities on here because I like most everyone on this forum and know that we all go through bad times and good. However, you chose to bring me up in your post, so here's my rebuttal.

No hard feelings, I just don't enjoy that kind of "dog with a bone" attitude in people, personally. No 'gut shot' intended. ;)

Mrleft8
10-15-2009, 09:21 AM
*Sigh*....

Paul Pless
10-15-2009, 09:24 AM
*Sigh*....whatever :p

Popeye
10-15-2009, 09:29 AM
horse hockey

.. i have no real point to make

i just like typing horse hockey

LeeG
10-15-2009, 09:35 AM
I think Jack is building his porch and he is having too much fun to bother with the 'puter.

Sue H.
10-15-2009, 09:37 AM
horse hockey

.. i have no real point to make

i just like typing horse hockey

Hockey puck! Now, let's all get misty eyed and have a big, group hug. Awwwwwwh.......

Bunch of salty old softies.....:p

Popeye
10-15-2009, 09:38 AM
pounding nails is both fun , educational and therapeutic

Sue H.
10-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Popeye...you just ain't right! :D

Glen Longino
10-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Popeye...you just ain't right! :D

spinach poisoning!;)

Popeye
10-15-2009, 09:52 AM
http://www.emmabutler.com/artists/john_mcdonald/show/just_in_time_web.jpg

Hwyl
10-15-2009, 09:57 AM
What you actually said, Gareth, was "Makes you look almost human. Quite a skill."

I took that as a cheap shot, not as a compliment. You also brought up Wild Drongo, which is ancient history and something Mike has apologized for numerous times. I found it petty and petulant. Perhaps I'm misreading you, but that was my take on it, and I honestly expected better from you than that.

I don't like to get caught up in personalities on here because I like most everyone on this forum and know that we all go through bad times and good. However, you chose to bring me up in your post, so here's my rebuttal.

No hard feelings, I just don't enjoy that kind of "dog with a bone" attitude in people, personally. No 'gut shot' intended. ;)

It was never intended as a cheap shot, the Wild Drongo comment was in the second round after Mike had accused me of being negative. This is what he wrote

Mike Huddleston 07 October at 22:04
I've had all of the negativity associated with woodenboat forum members that I can stand. Therefore you won't get another opportunity to post to my FB page. Have a nice life.
this is what I wrote

07 October at 22:17 Meant as a joke as I'm sure you know. I don't see myself as negative on the forum, but you certainly can be. I'm still shocked by your Wild Drongo period.

II strive to be positive on here and took the negativity thing personally. I now wish I had not mentioned the Wild Drongo thing, but there you have it.

Phillip Allen
10-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Donald Southerland would tell us just what we could do with "all those negetive vibes"

Paul Pless
10-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Donald Southerland would tell us just what we could do with "all those negetive vibes"i love that movie

Sue H.
10-15-2009, 10:53 AM
OK Gareth, nuff said. It's easy to misunderstand written words since the expressions and nuances we rely on face to face are missing. So perhaps I misunderstood you. Let's leave it behind us now.

And Popeye, I don't know what you're conveying with that painting (you're waaaay to esoteric for me, dude) but I sure like it and saved the artist into my favorites. Thanks!

Hwyl
10-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Agreed Sue.

I thought the painting was yours.

Paul Pless
10-15-2009, 11:16 AM
OK Gareth, nuff said
Agreed Sue.

Now that that's settled we can go back to talking about Jack?

Popeye
10-15-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't know what you're conveying with that painting

me neither , but , can you post more of your work please

LeeG
10-15-2009, 11:25 AM
looks like a boarded up WWII bunker in the Marin Headlands and they've walked from his friends ranch to get a ride to the ferry/airport. He's doing the manly work and she's thinking of when they get to do something she wants to do.

bobbys
10-15-2009, 11:33 AM
OK Gareth, nuff said. It's easy to misunderstand written words since the expressions and nuances we rely on face to face are missing. So perhaps I misunderstood you. Let's leave it behind us now.

And Popeye, I don't know what you're conveying with that painting (you're waaaay to esoteric for me, dude) but I sure like it and saved the artist into my favorites. Thanks!.

You can paint my picture if it pleases you Miss Sue.

My left side is my best side!!!

oznabrag
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
pounding nails is both fun , educational and therapeutic

As long as you don't pound your thumb nail. :D

Phillip Allen
10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
As long as you don't pound your thumb nail. :D

WHAT thumb nail?

Harry Miller
10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/A_classic_Black_pair_of_Converse_All_Stars_resting _on_the_Black_%26_White_Ed._Shoebox_%281998-2002%29.JPG/300px-A_classic_Black_pair_of_Converse_All_Stars_resting _on_the_Black_%26_White_Ed._Shoebox_%281998-2002%29.JPG

I still wear 'em

Harry Miller
10-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, but they weren't made in the mid sixties in Kansas City or some place like that. You can't wear them to a frazzle one summer winging a hammer. Just think, If you'd known just what a rare thing you had your hands on you might have been more careful with them.
Saved for posterity:D

Joe (SoCal)
10-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Ishmael, last activity 4:41 yesterday.

He said I was being negative.

Gareth I have had similar situation with MMike on facebook
He wrote me saying silliness

"It's not fun to watch the disease of alcoholism take someone that is close to you. Your's has you staring straight down the neck of a bottle and there isn't anything in the bottom my friend"

WTF !!!!!!!:confused: I seriously do not have a alcoholism problem whatsoever at all !!!! I told him to call me like a man not a computer. Never heard back from him.

Shame cause I like the guy

As for Ish he can be annoying but hes part of the WBF hope he's OK

brad9798
10-15-2009, 07:58 PM
I sure hope you don't (have a booze problem ... ), Joe! :)

As for Memphis-

Hell with 'em. As long as you agree with him, he is fine ... but the slightest bit of difference and he becomes one of the biggest jerks on the forum.

Then whines about how this place isn't like it used to be ... blah, blah, blah!

His BS multiple logins over the years have been childish at best ... but I will give him credit for being some of our more famous monikers! (He'll get mad at that last sentence, I'm sure).

Brad- out!

I hope Memphis stays well, and I wish him luck ... we just don't see eye-to-eye on much of anything except booze!

:)

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
10-16-2009, 04:34 AM
Last made in the US about 2003 I believe. I bought 3 pairs of US made Taylors in 2001 off the net and still have a well used pair as a back up. Now theyre made in china of course. And the quality is way down. I used to be able to get a good couple years out of a pair and now they start ripping out just above the rubber canvas line in less than a year. the shoe laces are crap as well. They also do not support your feet like they once did. Cheap Chinese cotton crap.

I haven't seen any recent examples, I don't doubt that quality is down, but support your feet? Even the old ones never did that. Padded yes, but flat as a pool table in there, no arches or anything. And not near enough padding in the heel for serious running, hence the advent of real running shoes in the 70s and 80s, and vastly overpriced though better cushioned basketball shoes in the 90s. These days, Chuck Taylors (or as they were called in my day, Converse All-Stars) are decent boating shoes, that's it.

Phillip Allen
10-16-2009, 04:41 AM
I "think" I remember, bare in mind I was pretty young, the converse were advertised as giving better arch suport. They had an inked little section that showed where they claimed they had improved arch suport (1/8 inch of foam)...the shoes cost FOUR times the price of the cheap ones that us kids ran through in one summer, tearing them to rags while outgrowing them at the same time. Looking back, the differense seems to have been...higher cost, more material (making them heavier) and the same old design

TomF
10-16-2009, 07:55 AM
...These days, Chuck Taylors (or as they were called in my day, Converse All-Stars) are decent boating shoes, that's it.Not quite. They're well known among powerlifters and oly weightlifters as fairly cheap, acceptable alternatives to actual weightlifting shoes, at least for beginning lifters. They're acceptable exactly because they don't have all the padding under the heel etc. that you find in basketball, crosstraining, or running shoes.

When you're squatting or doing heavy pulls (cleans, deadlifts, snatches etc.), you do much better when there's no squishiness under your feet de-stabilizing your ankles, or even slightly impairing the transfer of power to the bar. Real Oly weightlifting shoes have wood heels ...

Me? I lift barefoot.

Mrleft8
10-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Maybe he's getting that ulcerative colitis taken care of...

ishmael
10-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the interest and concern. I've been busy with other stuff, including a new deck and front steps. Done now, except for the bonfire for the debris.

To be frank, I've also been concerned by some of the nasty turns this place has taken the last few years. Most here are good people, but I've had some encounters here and via e-mail/PM with members that were unpleasant. I've continued to lurk and read on occasion, and to check my private messages, but haven't felt compelled to write.

Last night was strange, and probably in no way connected with this place. I'll write about it on a separate thread.

There's an idea in most psychological theory, but especially in Jung's, of the container. The basic concept is that creative energy must have something to hold it, with the lid on, until it reaches a critical mass. I've been a poor shepherd of this concept here, often spilling unformed ideas. In my defense, it was out of a joy in learning how to write(a lifelong pursuit,) and in corresponding with kind and wonderful people from all over the world.

I turned away from this place a few weeks ago out of a visceral disgust, at both myself for being too facile, and at some of our members for being downright nasty.

In short, I'll continue to be here, but with a new wariness, and with an eye to the container.

bob winter
10-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Some people seem to go out of their way to be nasty. Unfortunate trait.

ishmael
10-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Re the Chuck Taylors. My experience is somewhat limited, but as a carpenter cognoscenti many folks wore them. I don't know how they are now, but the Chinese knock offs sucked fifteen years ago. It wasn't about arch support, while there was some in the originals it was minor. The problem was that the foot bed was lumpy, and the glues and canvas etc. second rate. I don't know if they've gotten better.

Bought a pair of 1960s era once that fit like a glove. Second hand shop, five bucks, great stuff! Black Chuck Taylor high tops. If I'd known what I had my hands on I wouldn't have worn them to a frazzle roofing that summer.

Oh, my kingdom for a good pair of Chuck Taylors again. LOL.