PDA

View Full Version : The Halloween Witch

Figment
10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and now.... the Halloween Witch.

Some other hockey parents told me about this, and yes my first reaction was "ohyougottabe****tingme", but the more I think about it I think it's genius.

Kids haul home more and more candy every year. Way more than they should be able to eat before it goes stale. Enough to keep them bouncing off the walls well past Thanksgiving.

Tell the kids that if they leave a pile of their candy near the hearth before going to bed on Halloween, the Halloween Witch will come down the chimney and exchange the candy for gifts. The greater percentage of their total haul they leave, the better the gift.

One must have a suitable range of gifts on hand, of course, but still.... Genius.

Anyone else do this?

Canoez
10-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and now.... the Halloween Witch.

Some other hockey parents told me about this, and yes my first reaction was "ohyougottabe****tingme", but the more I think about it I think it's genius.

Kids haul home more and more candy every year. Way more than they should be able to eat before it goes stale. Enough to keep them bouncing off the walls well past Thanksgiving.

Tell the kids that if they leave a pile of their candy near the hearth before going to bed on Halloween, the Halloween witch will come down the chimney and exchange the candy for gifts. The greater percentage of their total haul they leave, the better the gift.

One must have a suitable range of gifts on hand, of course, but still.... Genius.

Anyone else do this?

I agree on the "Pure Genius" part, but as we didn't start the kids on the idea early enough, they'd be suspicious. They haul in one of those plastic pumpkins to overflowing every year in our neighborhood. As a kid, I was lucky to get 1/3 of that...

Must forward this one on to SWMBO.

Bill R
10-14-2009, 03:31 PM
We teach them modern economics.

As the parents, we charge them a tax- usually 50%. We explain to them that they have a high income and no permissible deductions, and we as the defacto government tax them on their income. :D

They are usually as about as impressed with this as I am around tax time...

Robert L.
10-14-2009, 04:09 PM
No Halloween witch here, but Jack Skellington (Nightmare Before Christmas) does swing by each year.

Several of the communities in the area have a trick-or-treat downtown each year where all (most of) the merchants give out treats. OK so the cloves of garlic from the garlic specialty shop aren't too exciting for the boys, but they usually come back with pounds and pounds of candy. The funny thing is that they don't actually eat much of it so we don't have to worry about sugar overload.

The nice thing about the downtown trick-or-treating is that you don't have to worry as much about the kids and they get to see all of their friends costumes. The other thing is that of course when you live out in the sticks trick-or-treating isn't as much fun when your closest neighbor lives a mile away. Even when there are two or three neighbors close together the quarter mile driveways through the woods can be a bit spooky, especially as the bear are pretty active this time of year.

We do have a leprechaun who lives in one of the clawed up tree stumps out behind the orchard. A bit of a lush though, so we leave him a bottle of Irish beer and an opener on the front porch each year on St. Paddies Day. The first year we left him an open bottle and all we ended up with was a drunk raccoon. In exchange he leaves a few Irish coins, and maybe a CD of Celtic music or a new penny whistle behind. He used to leave gold chocolate coins but the raccoons caught on to that real quick. Baileys Irish Cream is a bit iffy, the little bugger tears his clothes off in the yard and runs around naked in the woods.

paladin
10-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Speaking of Bailey's Irish Cream...I made some for a neighbor.....I think she must be a lush as she's asking for more......

Robert L.
10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Talk about sheer marketing genius. I usually have little good to say about the marketing/promotions folks, but in this case I make an exception. The Irish dairy industry was over producing and couldn't unload the surplus cream. The whiskey distillers were finally able to produce more booze than even an Irishman could drink. The bottom was falling out of both markets and some marketing clown comes up with a genius idea. Mix them together and sell it to Americans as a traditional Irish booze. And it worked, and it was good.

That probably isn't how it happened but if it wasn't then I have nothing good to say about marketing types.

For a long time the French have made a sugar, cream and rum syrup they pour over pastries called petite babas. They have a similar sauce made with whiskey.

Perhaps this is where the term 'he was sauced' came from.

Uncle Duke
10-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Robert L:

The whiskey distillers were finally able to produce more booze than even an Irishman could drink.Apocryphal.
Internet legend.
Never actually happened.
Not according to my family!
:D:D

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.jillstanek.com/archives/wicked%20witch.jpg

"I'll get YOU, your little dog and all your candy!!!!