PDA

View Full Version : You folks make wasting time just too easy!

Milo Christensen
10-14-2009, 11:19 AM
It's 39 degrees fafrenheight out. Gray, windy. There isn't any house work that needs doing, there aren't enough leaves down to rake yet, although I did get out yesterday and bought a spiffy new "clog-free" rake. I should be hooking up the trailer to take it to get winterized, or, much more ambitiously, buying and installing the parts so I can properly winterize it myself from now on.

But nooo! It's just gone noon and here I am, still in my pj's and slippers, sipping the last of the morning coffee, wasting time.

Seriously, I'm a bit concerned about this being retired during the winter thing. I've started some volunteer work one night a week, feeling a bit guilty that all I'm doing is thinking about signing up for more.

But nooo! It's just gone noon and here I am, still in my pj's and slippers, sipping the last of the morning coffee, wasting time.

The garage/workshop is a total disaster. Total. I should put on warm clothes and get my butt down there and reorganize everything so I can do some furniture building after setting up the workshop for the kitchen/dining room remodel.

switters
10-14-2009, 11:24 AM
go clean the shop.

make one sheet skiff that can double as a book case.

donate boat to cause of you choice for raffle to raise money.

I'm not retired, If I can get one done by December you can finish two and do a much better job.

Milo Christensen
10-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I've reached the point with the third canoe, the sailing rig, the akas and amas and the ginormous solo paddle that everything is covered in epoxy and everything needs to be sanded and I just can't quite face anymore sanding on epoxy. These projects must be finished to make way for any more boatbuilding.

John Smith
10-14-2009, 11:39 AM
It's 39 degrees fafrenheight out. Gray, windy. There isn't any house work that needs doing, there aren't enough leaves down to rake yet, although I did get out yesterday and bought a spiffy new "clog-free" rake. I should be hooking up the trailer to take it to get winterized, or, much more ambitiously, buying and installing the parts so I can properly winterize it myself from now on.

Seriously, I'm a bit concerned about this being retired during the winter thing. I've started some volunteer work one night a week, feeling a bit guilty that all I'm doing is thinking about signing up for more.

The garage/workshop is a total disaster. Total. I should put on warm clothes and get my butt down there and reorganize everything so I can do some furniture building after setting up the workshop for the kitchen/dining room remodel.

Do what you feel like doing.

I'm looking at my desk and it's a mess. Get a lot of help in that area from my granddaughter who's been sharing my computer.

She's getting one of her own for her room tomorrow, and then I might be able to keep this room less messy.

I do have a number of household projects, but all require a little money, and mine seems to be eaten up by medical costs. My wife has to go for a unch of physical therapy sessions at $20 out of pocket each. Doesn't sound like much, but if she goes two or three times a week, it starts adding up quickly.

katey
10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Cleaning, even de-cluttering, is free. Grab a beverage of your choice and get to it, all of you!

Chris Coose
10-14-2009, 11:43 AM
It takes about 3-4 hours to read Cormac McCarthy's The Road. That'll move you one way or another out of your mediocrity.

Milo Christensen
10-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Mediocrity? There's nothing mediocre about the first class, top drawer way I waste time. I'll wait a month for the movie, that'll give me another couple hours to waste instead of reading the book.

LeeG
10-14-2009, 12:11 PM
time to put on a favorite record/cd and crank up the music. Maybe something by Annie Lennox or Stevie Ray Vaughn

Popeye
10-14-2009, 12:23 PM
you could do some gardening or mow the lawn

but change out of your spiderman pajamas first

Dave Wright
10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Just got in from a hard bike ride, part of which was in the rain. I do it 4 -5 days a week and have done so for years, rain, cold, or shine. It removes any thoughts about wasting time or lack of purpose in life. I've got unfinished boat projects in the garage too, and there's no guilt or remorse when my heart's beating fast and my breathing's deep. It helps reduce the number of trips to this forum too.

BrianW
10-14-2009, 12:57 PM
It takes about 3-4 hours to read Cormac McCarthy's The Road. That'll move you one way or another out of your mediocrity.

That was a depressing son-of-a-bitch book

I'll skip the movie.

Glen Longino
10-14-2009, 01:05 PM
That was a depressing son-of-a-bitch book

I'll skip the movie.

Heheh! McCarthy is such a good writer he almost makes it worth reading the book, despite the depression.
I was in a dismal funk for two days after reading it.
My wife asked what's wrong with you? Oh, you read another one of those McCarthy books, didn't you!

Paul Pless
10-14-2009, 01:08 PM
There's nothing mediocre about the first class, top drawer way I waste time. That's priceless!

bobbys
10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
This news of you lounging about in you PJs is very disheartening.

Prepare your helmet and sword with my assistance as your squire Sancho Panza and let us set forth on adventures to defeat the Enchanter Gypsies and battle with windmills.

Sir Don Quixote La Milo Mancha you have challenged scalawags here to duels and so far cowards have declined as they should.

I set saddle upon your steed and awaith your command to set forth!!!

paladin
10-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Through the woodlands, through the valleys rides a horseman brave and free.............

and reaching for his saddlebags........

Glen Longino
10-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Milo, you're simply suffering from "Newbie Retiree Syndrome".
Give yourself a little time and you too can learn to enjoy, even relish, laziness and inactivity like many of us do, and without guilt.

John of Phoenix
10-14-2009, 01:49 PM
I know you're into wasting time but if you want to SAVE some, look into the joys of peel ply and it will relieve you of lots and lots of hours of tedious sanding on your canoe.

More time for the forum!!

Popeye
10-14-2009, 01:51 PM
you need a hobby , like collecting sink stoppers , or looking out the window at the neighbors and then pretending to write something down

Canoez
10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
I know you're into wasting time but if you want to SAVE some, look into the joys of peel ply and it will relieve you of lots and lots of hours of tedious sanding on your canoe.

More time for the forum!!

...or better squeegee techniques for epoxy applications.

Don't go making us your enablers, Milo!

JimD
10-14-2009, 02:30 PM
You should write a book on epoxy sanding for disgruntled Ron Paul conservatives with really big fences around their yards who like to shoot the neighbours pets using using weapons fitted with home made silencers. Maybe Sarah Palin will write a foreword.

paladin
10-14-2009, 02:52 PM
the proper term is "suppressors" and the threads for screw it on the end of the barrel are normally 3/8-24. Aluminum is good, titanium is better, must be a non resonant metal. Load the rounds sub sonic, below 1100 feet per second...
Part deux...use a Sarah Palin look alike, you'll get better response and she will probably be better looking......
Instead of regular bullets use Glaser Safety slugs, they disintegrate internally leaving no rifling marks and makes it harder than hell to recover bits and pieces.....
Most popular is .380 auto....or load a 9mm parabellum case subsonic....the advantage of the .380 is that you can manually feed it into the chamber and there is no ejected cartridge case to leave as evidence...and with the Glaser slug, no recovered projectile.....
anything else I can help you with...

boylesboats
10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
me... I am debatin' on puttin' plastic up around screened porch... I hate doin' it while it is rainin' or blowin'.. but it had to be done before its get any colder.. mind my fangers..

JimD
10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
the proper term is "suppressors" and the threads for screw it on the end of the barrel are normally 3/8-24. Aluminum is good, titanium is better, must be a non resonant metal. Load the rounds sub sonic, below 1100 feet per second...
Part deux...use a Sarah Palin look alike, you'll get better response and she will probably be better looking......
Instead of regular bullets use Glaser Safety slugs, they disintegrate internally leaving no rifling marks and makes it harder than hell to recover bits and pieces.....
Most popular is .380 auto....or load a 9mm parabellum case subsonic....the advantage of the .380 is that you can manually feed it into the chamber and there is no ejected cartridge case to leave as evidence...and with the Glaser slug, no recovered projectile.....
anything else I can help you with...

1) That's an awful lot for a disgruntled Ron Paul supporter to remember.

2) I've found someone who does a pretty good Sarah Palin:

http://www.insidesocal.com/tv/palin-fey3_1011916c.jpg

bobbys
10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I would ask you all to remove and delete all talk of assassinating a Mother, I find no humor in this and do not even detect any. The logic of gun ballistics and what she looks like escapes me.

LeeG
10-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Just got in from a hard bike ride, part of which was in the rain. .

so what tire sticks to a wet road?

JimD
10-14-2009, 11:32 PM
I would ask you all to remove and delete all talk of assassinating a Mother, I find no humor in this and do not even detect any. The logic of gun ballistics and what she looks like escapes me.
What on earth are you talking about?

skuthorp
10-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Milo, two and a half acres and a new house keeps this recent retiree busy, but if there wasn't that I have blackberries etc to clear before the fire season, boats to finish too, a chook pen to build, several pond models to put back into service, a banjo to practice (and I need it), and I'm going to learn to play a recently acquired cheap violin. SWMBO wants me to help with her cryptic crosswords (I cant stand them), there's a ton or 5 of old engines and stuff to get rid of from the shed, and I want to build a boat from Steve Paskey's plans to take to the Hobart WB show.
I'm sure you have a list too, but even so motivation deserts me too on occasion.

PS; Got to paint the house too, inside and out.