PDA

View Full Version : hydro-locked engine

shombolly
09-08-2005, 01:11 PM
The risers leaked in my bass boat and got into the engine. It would hard starting but would run.
The yard said it tried to start it but it hydro locked, while trying to start it.

How likly am i going to need a new engine?

Gary E
09-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Does that yard sell and install new engins???

Will you need a new one? figger about 100% YES

unless your a mechanic and can doityourself, then the ods drop to 50/50

[ 09-08-2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Gary E ]

shombolly
09-08-2005, 01:32 PM
So there is no chance that the engine will be serviceable? Are you saying that i am going to need a new engine because of the salt in the cylinders or because it locked up? We caught it early and it was not run when it locked.

Gary E
09-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Only a mechanic can tell you that AFTER he takes it apart... are you a mechanic?

shombolly
09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
O i see where your going with this...

The yard told me that it was hard starting because water was getting into the engine.

Then they go and try to start the thing and it hydrolocks using the starter, go figure. If i thought that was the problem i would have pulled the pulgs and turned it over and put some oil in the cylinders.

Gary E
09-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Thats a good start...
and if it turns over freely then maybe you have not bent a valve or a rod..

Only one way to find out..

shombolly
09-08-2005, 01:39 PM
no i am not a mechaninc for a living but i have built up a few engines. I don't have time to do it myself now, so i am hopeing that nothing got bent or broken when it locked up.

Gary E
09-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Ok, sounds like you at least know whatss going on in there, maybe someone can fix it, but since I dont know the what shape that engine is in, I have no idea if itss worth fixing, you are left to trusting someone who can look at it.

Gary E
09-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Long ago I knew a fellow that owned a chain of restraunt's, super nice guy and definatly not a mechanic, could afford anything he wanted. Well anyway he built Heath Kit Depth sounder cause he liked to, several other things too. One year he decides to take his engines home for a cleaning and painting.. he did pull them both out of his 50 ish ft Chris... they came back the next spring and put them back in... The boat worked just fine, you can do it, if you have the time and the inclinenation.. Another idea is to find a high school auto shop...bet they would like a project, I have seen that idea work very well.

sdowney717
09-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Take out the spark plugs and see if it cranks over freely. If it does with no strange noises then
check the oil for odd colors perhaps from salt water.
check the compression if fairly decent then
Put some new risers on it
Make sure plugs look good reinstall and see if it runs ok.
If it hydrolocked only from the starter, there is a chance there is no internal damage.
However, if salt water has been getting into the combustion chamber or valves, you may have a problem. A compression check would give you some guidance on this. It is always possible that some minor rust on the valves or cylinders that could compromise the compression readings would burn off if you could get the engine running with good oil and good risers.
I once hydrolocked an engine with gasoline when the fuel bowl overflowed and filled one cylinder. The engine survived. It had hydrolocked while cranking.

John Meachen
09-08-2005, 03:39 PM
If you think you have a cylinder full of water,don't do what one fellow did.He thought he would remove the plugs one at a time to determine which cylinder had filled.With the first one out,he shone a light down the plug hole and had his companion turn the key.The engine fired and the blast of water exiting the cylinder went into his eye with some force.He lost the eye.Be careful

William R Roche
09-09-2005, 12:23 PM
One of the dangers is bending a con rod in a diesel which has "hydrauliced". A clever way to test the stroke is to use some soft solder wire. Holding one end, place it in the cylinder via the injector port and turn the engine over once manually. The solder will compress to the clearance between the piston and the head and can be read with a micrometer. I watched a mechanic do this after the exhaust riser cracked on my new engine!