PDA

View Full Version : computer anti virus program suggestions

John Smith
10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Since I had my computer fixed, I'm on Norton 2005, with updates.

I get a reminder that my subscription runs out soon, and I can't seem to renew. Going to Norton, and calling them, according to their menu, 2005 is no longer renewable.

So I ask you fine folks if there's a modestly priced anti-virus and other bad stuff program you like for Windows XP.

Paul Pless
10-12-2009, 06:10 PM
stay away from whatever t-mobile uses :eek:

George Jung
10-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Why are you buying when you can get the milk for free?

Wait, that's dating information..

You'll get a bunch of recommendations here. I like AVG (it's free, and very good) but currently use Avast! - also free, and it fits in with the nautical theme and dastardly attitude of the bilge. I've used both; I prefer either to Nortons, or any of the other subscription services.

Flying Orca
10-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Another vote for AVG here - I install the free version on all computers I maintain privately (many for other people), and the paid version on all computers I maintain professionally. Never a serious problem in close to ten years.

SMARTINSEN
10-12-2009, 07:13 PM
What Larry and Orca say.

Uncle Duke
10-12-2009, 07:33 PM
AVG = good. Even the free one. Using it for 3 years now - no problems at all.
Very important - don't just stop using Norton - do a complete un-install.
Go ahead - ask how I know.... <Grin!>

Flying Orca
10-12-2009, 07:43 PM
More like an exorcism, but yeah.

ShagRock
10-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Another vote for AVG here - I install the free version on all computers I maintain privately (many for other people), and the paid version on all computers I maintain professionally. Never a serious problem in close to ten years.

I seem to recall that the free AVG version has 'fewer components' than the paid version, and is that your reason for using the latter in the professional domain?

Also, recently I'm using Secure provided free from my cable service company...Shaw. Is this a reasonable solution?

Flying Orca
10-12-2009, 07:44 PM
I use the paid version in the pro domain because (a) it's not available for servers, and (b) it's not free for anyone other than private users. That said, they do give me a good deal on network seats because we are a non-profit organization.

SMARTINSEN
10-12-2009, 08:13 PM
More like an exorcism, but yeah.

Even that is an understatement.

Like a cancer, it wormed into every every fissure in my old computer.

When I got the my new computer, even before I connected to the internet, the first thing that I did was do uninstall and delete everything Norton, which seemed easier before the abomination had any chance to spread.

Tom Galyen
10-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I use a Mac! :) :) :)

elf
10-12-2009, 08:45 PM
AVG won me a fight with some malware one weekend. It's the only ad on a newpaper web site I've ever been glad to see!

Jim Bow
10-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I've installed Advanced System Care after it was recommended by PC Magazine.
It's another freebie, just google the name.
I have an old desktop running in the garage and I ran this program and doubled the speed.

ripley699
10-12-2009, 10:38 PM
If you really need the "VERY BEST " AIN'T NOTHIN' GONNA BEAT IT ,CHEAT IT OR WHIP IT,,ITS CALLED

" CA " ask your computer people about it ..of course at $600.00 you'd expect the best ,wouldn't you ?

Kryptonite bounces off it ,Even lasers and phasers don't
bother it .........The pentagon won't be allowed in !!!!

George Roberts
10-12-2009, 11:02 PM
We don't use anti-virus programs. The router seems to stop most of the bad stuff. The rest is stopped by good computer practice.

John Smith
10-13-2009, 07:58 AM
AVG = good. Even the free one. Using it for 3 years now - no problems at all.
Very important - don't just stop using Norton - do a complete un-install.
Go ahead - ask how I know.... <Grin!>
Sounds like a plan.

Would it be wise to un-install Norton before downloading AVG, or install AVG first, or doesn't it matter?

Popeye
10-13-2009, 08:11 AM
easy , back up your data , get an 'image' , wipe your entire disk

and start again

norton ghost (http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost)

John Smith
10-13-2009, 09:03 AM
I have followed the above advise. Norton uninstalled with no apparent problem. Cyberdefender is installed.

Guess I'm set.

Thanks all.

John Smith
10-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I have to say, however, my computer seems noticable slower since I downloaded the free program.

Popeye
10-13-2009, 09:58 AM
computers make our lives easy and way more efficient

John Smith
10-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Gee, I just got a speed up my computer ad from these folks for $19.99

Spyware removal.

Should I do it?