X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

The Americans Really Racked Up This Year Didn't They

Other than the Nobel Prize for Chemistry and the Nobel Prize for Literature, I believe all of the award recipients were Americans.
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 10-12-2009, 09:36 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.
  • Phillip Allen
    • May 2002

Re: The Americans Really Racked Up This Year Didn't They

and as Joe would loudly say:

We won, you lost!
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• Bruce Taylor
      Eardstapa
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein
      II think it's a good thing, don't you?
      Yup. Well done, guys. You've still got it!

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
        Who?
        • Aug 1999

On a point of information, Charles Kao (half the Physics prize) holds joint British and American citizenship, Elizabeth Blackburn (Medicine) was born in Australia and Jack Szostak (Medicine) was born in.

So yes, your Universities pay better...
        Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-12-2009, 10:29 AM.
        IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• Kaa
          Wanderer
          • Sep 2006

In an era when (it can be argued) we need more reasons to be proud of America, I think it's a good thing, don't you?
          The Nobel Peace Prize is such an embarrassment, it gives a bad taste to the whole thing.

Kaa

Comment

• Paul Pless
            pinko commie tree hugger
            • Oct 2003

I think it's a good thing, don't you?
            Yes... I think its a good thing.

I mentioned this before, something about this year that's pretty coo for me, is that I've been aware of, at least on a conversational level, all of the subjects that were studied or advanced by the recipients. Some years I have no idea what the awrd recipients were studying or how it advanced the human condition. This year I feel like I 'get it'.

Perhaps I'll start a thread on the economics prize later as the recipients studied market failures and successes as they pertain to the commons, especially fisheries.

Comment

• JBreeze
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett
              On a point of information, Charles Kao (half the Physics prize) holds joint British and American citizenship, Elizabeth Blackburn (Medicine) was born in Australia and Jack Szostak (Medicine) was born in.

So yes, your Universities pay better...
              Charles Kao citizenship - add Hong Kong, too

Comment

• Paul Pless
                pinko commie tree hugger
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by JBreeze

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_K._Kao
                a man of the world eh

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
                  Who?
                  • Aug 1999

Originally posted by JBreeze

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_K._Kao
                  My apologies; I knew that, and should have included it. Very well known figure in HK.
                  IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• JBreeze
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Paul Pless
                    a man of the world eh
                    Actually, yes! Pretty amazing that one person could play a role in such important scientific endeavors in so many countries.....maybe the scientific community is unique in that the science is recognized, rather than the culture, politics, religion and finances.

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
                      Who?
                      • Aug 1999

He comes from a notable scientific family - his brother has a crater on the Moon named after him, IIRC.
                      IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• bobbys
                        • Jun 2009

I wish RUSH would have won it this year and brought some dignity back to it!!.

Landmark Legal Foundation Nominates Rush Limbaugh for 2007 Nobel Peace Prize

Limbaugh called 'the foremost advocate for freedom and democracy in the world today'

LEESBURG, Va., Feb. 1 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Landmark Legal Foundation today nominated nationally syndicated radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh for the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize. Limbaugh, whose daily radio show is heard by more than 20 million people on more than 600 radio stations in the United States and around the world, was nominated for the prestigious award for his "nearly two decades of tireless efforts to promote liberty, equality and opportunity for all humankind, regardless of race, creed, economic stratum or national origin. These are the only real cornerstones of just and lasting peace throughout the world," said Landmark President Mark R. Levin. "Rush Limbaugh is the foremost advocate for freedom and democracy in the world today," explained Levin. "Everyday he gives voice to the values of democratic governance, individual opportunity and the just, equal application of the rule of law -- and it is fitting that the Nobel Committee recognize the power of these ideals to build a truly peaceful world for future generations." The Nobel Peace Prize, which is given by a committee of the Norwegian Storting (the Norwegian Parliament), was created by inventor Alfred Nobel in his will in 1896 to be given to the individual or organization who "shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding of peace congresses." The first Nobel Peace Prize was awarded in 1901 to Henry Dunant and Frederic Passy. Should Limbaugh become the 2007 Nobel Laureate for Peace, he will receive the Nobel Peace Prize medal and a cash award of $10 million Norwegian Kroner (approximately $1.6 million). The prize would be presented at a ceremony in the Oslo City Hall presided over by King Harald V and Queen Sonja of Norway on December 10, 2007, the anniversary of Alfred Nobel's death. As the 2007 Nobel Laureate for Peace, Limbaugh would deliver the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize Lecture at that ceremony. Founded in 1976, Landmark Legal Foundation is the leading conservative public interest law firm in the United States. Rush Limbaugh serves as an unpaid member of Landmark's Board of Advisors. February 1, 2007 Professor Ole Danbolt Mjos Chairman, Norwegian Nobel Institute Henrik Ibsens Gate 51 NO-0255 Oslo, Norway Dear Dr. Mjos: Landmark Legal Foundation herewith submits the name of Rush Limbaugh as an unsolicited nomination for the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize. We are offering this nomination for Mr. Limbaugh's nearly two decades of tireless efforts to promote liberty, equality and opportunity for all mankind, regardless of race, creed, economic stratum or national origin. We fervently believe that these are the only real cornerstones of just and lasting peace throughout the world. Rush Limbaugh is a nationally syndicated radio talk show host in the United States and one of the most popular broadcasters in the world. His daily radio show is heard on more than 600 radio stations in the United States and around the world. For 18 years he has used his show to become the foremost advocate for freedom and democracy in the world today. Everyday he gives voice to the values of democratic governance, individual opportunity and the just, equal application of the rule of law -- and it is fitting the Nobel Committee recognize the power of these ideals to build a truly peaceful world for future generations. Thank you for your thoughtful and serious consideration of this nomination. Should you require additional information, please don't hesitate to contact me. Sincerely, Mark R. Levin President

SOURCE Landmark Legal Foundation

Comment

• JBreeze
                          • Apr 2007

There you go, Bobbys! That's why I only read about the awards in Chemistry, Physics and Medicine. The awards in these categories are now awarded after a period of time in which the accomplishments have withstood serious scrutiny....unfortunately, the awardee also has to be still alive at the time of nomination, so Rosalind Russell never received the accolades Watson and Crick received..

The other awards are fluff....on another thread, people scoffed at the award to Arafat....well, Menachim Begin received a Peace Prize, too. I wonder how some British Veterans feel about that?

The "Nobel" Prize for economics? Krugman can't even grasp the concept of a gas mask - brilliant man!

(must be a mouth breather)
                          Last edited by JBreeze; 10-12-2009, 12:00 PM. Reason: Can't spell today - probably tomorrow, too

Comment

• George.
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Paul Pless
                            Other than the Nobel Prize for Chemistry ... I believe all of the award recipients were Americans.
                            I thought Obama would win the prize for chemistry.

Comment

• brad9798
                              • May 2000

his brother has a crater on the Moon named after him, IIRC.
                              I have a WHOLE star named after me ... it only cost me like $80US! Oh, and it's in the star registry, too!
                              Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Comment

Working...