PDA

View Full Version : .....teak decks, again

Chayco
01-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I have a fair quantity of Burma teak, that I brought over from Myanmar, and now running it through my bandsaw for decking. I am cutting 3/8" x 2" with a 3/16 th rabbet on one side for caulking.I leave both sides 'sawn' for better adhesion and one time sanding. I have seen 3/8"x 2" strips lift on one side when 'sprung'to fit the deck's contours.
Anyone know if this lifting occurs with 1/2" x 1 3/4" ?

Regards...Ken

Stargazer14
01-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Ken, I can truely say - "I dont know."

But I did see your post was about to leave the front page without an answer for you,
so I thought I'd bump ya up top.

Cheers, Michael

Gary E
01-13-2005, 06:10 PM
"I have seen 3/8"x 2" strips lift on one side when 'sprung'to fit the deck's contours.
Anyone know if this lifting occurs with 1/2" x 1 3/4" ? "

Only you can answer that because it depends on how much you spring the teak installing it and how strong the glue is that holds it down.

No spring installing, most likley no separation.
Screwit down, that's what screws are for.

John Meachen
01-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Gary is right about the lifting being the result of the edge set given during installation.Screws would probably pull it down but if the idea of holes in your deck is not one you are happy with,you could use weights or shores until the glue goes off.If you have the technology available a vacuum bag would also work.After all,you must be using wood of this thickness as an overlay.Once glued you should be fine.

Chayco
01-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I watched/helped a shipwright lay a sprung teak deck (3/8 x 2" strips). He used Sikaflex to bond the decking to the deck and would screw in both temporary holding blocks and the occasional screw and big washer between the decking to keep the decking secure while the sikaflex set. He did not use screws through the teak decking itself. After a large part of the deck was laid we noticed that there was a 'slight' raise on one side of the decking due to the strain of the bend. No major concern since the surfaces of the teak decking were still rough sawn. I have read that 1/4" x 1 3/4 " takes a better bend....but IMHO that's too thin. I'll keep experimenting.

...Ken (Vancouver Island)