PDA

View Full Version : Internet banking advice

WX
10-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Detective Inspector Bruce van der Graaf from the Computer Crime Investigation Unit told the hearing that he uses two rules to protect himself from cybercriminals when banking online. The first rule, he said, was to never click on hyperlinks to the banking site and the second was to avoid Microsoft Windows.

"If you are using the internet for a commercial transaction, use a Linux boot up disk - such as Ubuntu or some of the other flavours. Puppylinux is a nice small distribution that boots up fairly quickly.

"It gives you an operating system which is perfectly clean and operates only in the memory of the computer and is a perfectly safe way of doing internet banking," van der Graaf said.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/157767%2Cnsw-police-dont-use-windows-for-internet-banking.aspx

George Roberts
10-08-2009, 05:03 PM
I am sure that many people do internet banking, use Windows, and have no problems.

WX
10-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I am sure that many people do internet banking, use Windows, and have no problems.
Use it at your peril but you are correct many do. There are however many that get taken to the cleaners.

WX
10-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm just passing on some advice, what you do with it is your choice.

Peerie Maa
10-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Never used any of the Linux family, but I do know that British banks have set up their web site sign-ons so that they will work with Windows Internet Explorer, but they won't work with Firefox.
It may be good but unworkable advice.

WX
10-08-2009, 05:28 PM
but they won't work with Firefox.
You can run IE in Linux via Wine, it is still a better option than running Windows. For bank to block Firefox indicates a level of stupidity...change banks.

Peerie Maa
10-08-2009, 05:43 PM
You can run IE in Linux via Wine, it is still a better option than running Windows. For bank to block Firefox indicates a level of stupidity...change banks.

I don't know that it was deliberate blocking. They have used a windows facility not supported on Firfox, and probably decided that setting up a system using the most popular browser alone is more cost effective than duplicate systems. It looks as though Google Chrome has the requisite facility though, I might use it the next time I move cash around.

jonboy
10-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Let 'em have it ... with a bit of luck they'll steal all my overdrafts and credit card debts...

My wealth is cunningly concealed in three tons of 18 carat electroplated gold lead in the keel...or is it lead briquets hollowed out and filled with molten gold... can't remember dammit.

Anyway you can't eat it and it won't keep you warm so I've recently reinvested in two million cubic feet of rice crackers,,, excellent buoyoncy, unbeatable insulation properties and I'll be fat when you are all dead. or is that the other way round too...
Eat drink and be merry, because tomorrow you'll be looking for the Alka Seltzers as my dad said

WX
10-08-2009, 06:25 PM
That's the spirit Jonboy.:D