PDA

View Full Version : Only in America- Michelle Obama's Roots

pefjr
10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
An incredible story of The First Lady's ancestor

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/08/michelle-obama-slavery-ro_n_313753.html

Bruce Hooke
10-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I am not sure it is that incredible...seems like much of it is the story of most blacks in America...but it does seem good to me that it is coming out as it may help deepen people's understanding of what things were like under slavery.

Nicholas Scheuer
10-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Not "incredible" at all. Just another day in the life of many slaves.

They never saw the Statue Of Liberty from the decks of their slave ships, neither.

Moby Nick

pefjr
10-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I think its an incredible story that Melvina's descendant is in the White House 5 generations from slavery. Hollywood directors have to be maneuvering fast to get this story on Film.

George.
10-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Not incredible and not only in America. Brazil, too.

bobbys
10-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Why does Barry make her work in the fields out in the back yard of the white house and wear a dress made from the drapes of the Oval office.?.

Give her her dignity back Barry!!!!

George.
10-08-2009, 01:34 PM
What I found interesting in the story is:

1) How soon after emancipation her ancestor picked himself up and ended up a home owner and business owner - in the Deep South.

2) The comparative advantages he seems to have gotten due to having a trade and being literate, a church leader, and half white.

ahp
10-08-2009, 01:48 PM
There is another long article on this subject in today's NYTs.

Bruce Hooke
10-08-2009, 02:15 PM
What I found interesting in the story is:

1) How soon after emancipation her ancestor picked himself up and ended up a home owner and business owner - in the Deep South.

2) The comparative advantages he seems to have gotten due to having a trade and being literate, a church leader, and half white.

Yes, one senses that this was not your average family back then, just as it is not your average family now!

The one slight modification I would make is that I would guess that what mattered was not that he was "half white" but that he was fairly light skinned (plus the other things you mentioned).

George.
10-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Light skinned = half white.

Nicholas Scheuer
10-08-2009, 04:40 PM
being "half white" still isn't enough to pass "go" and collect $200 on life's path of woe like the two George Bush's.

George.
10-09-2009, 06:37 AM
I bet his being half white had something to do with him getting an education and a trade in an age of illiterate ex-slaves.

jbelow
10-09-2009, 06:57 AM
That qualifies her as a REAL black person in America. Without slave roots , a person is a nothing and a nobody, a fake black person at best.

George.
10-09-2009, 07:07 AM
So Barack is a fake black person? What a curious concept.

jbelow
10-09-2009, 07:22 AM
So Barack is a fake black person? What a curious concept.

Yes. Keep it quiet. It upsets the people on the left and the right.

Phillip Allen
10-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Yes. Keep it quiet. It upsets the people on the left and the right.

I like it :)

Tom Montgomery
10-09-2009, 07:28 AM
That qualifies her as a REAL black person in America. Without slave roots , a person is a nothing and a nobody, a fake black person at best.

There are a lot of recent African immigrants here in Louisville who wonder wtf you are about.

Phillip Allen
10-09-2009, 07:33 AM
are there any "white" races without slavery (having been...) in their past?

(I think I may be related to Aesop... :)

George.
10-09-2009, 07:50 AM
On my father's side, there were likely more slaves than free people, all the way into the 19th century. On my mother's I seriously doubt there were any slaves, ever.

Phillip Allen
10-09-2009, 07:55 AM
this Mrs. Obama thing is just celebrity worship I think...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-09-2009, 08:21 AM
So, why did a nice All-American girl like that go marrying some Kenyan with a funny name?

paladin
10-09-2009, 08:25 AM
and why...in todays society, an African American with slave roots is still a more revered person than a Native American. Native Americans are still considered the bottom of the barrel.

Mrleft8
10-09-2009, 08:30 AM
and why...in todays society, an African American with slave roots is still a more revered person than a Native American. Native Americans are still considered the bottom of the barrel.

Without a bottom, it isn't a barrel.

George.
10-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I thought Arab Americans and illegal Mexicans were the current bottom of the barrel.

Mrleft8
10-09-2009, 09:11 AM
I thought Arab Americans and illegal Mexicans were the current bottom of the barrel.

Nah. Chuck's right. Native Americans have pretty much always been the most trod on, ignored, or disrespected group here. I couldn't tell you why. In my humble opinion, the cultures they represent are among the most impressive and interesting anywhere.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-09-2009, 10:06 AM
S'obvious. They were dispossessed by the original WASP illegal immigrants...

pefjr
10-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Well, sh%t, they had two continents for 10,000 yrs or more and did nothing but scatter buffalo bones. We, on the other hand have practically destroyed it in 500 yrs. Give it back to the Indians. :D

PeterSibley
10-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Like Austalian Aborigines they have the ultimate claim and hold the ultimate truth about the birth of both our nations .Despised ? Yes ..but why , I really don't know !

Phillip Allen
10-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Like Austalian Aborigines they have the ultimate claim and hold the ultimate truth about the birth of both our nations .Despised ? Yes ..but why , I really don't know !

left over fear and guilt...it's all I can think of
it's like the thief who says (to himself) "that guy didn't deserve to have that money anyway..."

PeterSibley
10-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Yep ,pretty much .

jbelow
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
There are a lot of recent African immigrants here in Louisville who wonder wtf you are about.

Tom , if one of those recent African immigrants or one of their children ever decide to run for a political office as a conservative Repulican , they will not wonder wtf I am about. They will never be black enough unless they had a female ancester that was a slave and raped by a white guy.
If one of those recent African immigrants or one of their children ever decided to run for politcal office as a liberal Democrat , they will not wonder wtf I am about. They will never be American enough unless they publish proof of citizenship or produce and publish a birth certificate if they ran for president of the U.S.

Either way , it is a loose - loose situation.

Glen Longino
10-09-2009, 10:07 PM
this Mrs. Obama thing is just celebrity worship I think...

Of course that's what you think.
Anything else out of you would have disappointed us!

Glen Longino
10-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Tom , if one of those recent African immigrants or one of their children ever decide to run for a political office as a conservative Repulican , they will not wonder wtf I am about. They will never be black enough unless they had a female ancester that was a slave and raped by a white guy.
If one of those recent African immigrants or one of their children ever decided to run for politcal office as a liberal Democrat , they will not wonder wtf I am about. They will never be American enough unless they publish proof of citizenship or produce and publish a birth certificate if they ran for president of the U.S.

Either way , it is a loose - loose situation.

Jay, do you have any idea how bat**** crazy you are?

Mrleft8
10-10-2009, 07:29 AM
They will never be American enough unless they publish proof of citizenship or produce and publish a birth certificate if they ran for president of the U.S. Where's yours? Not a copy, but the original.

Either way , it is a loose - loose situation. A tight - tight situation would be better for you?:rolleyes:

Dan McCosh
10-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Maybe so, it's been nearly 10 years since an Arab American ran one of the Big Three auto companies.

stevebaby
10-10-2009, 04:01 PM
If you meant Jac Nasser...he's Australian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Nasser

Phillip Allen
10-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Of course that's what you think.
Anything else out of you would have disappointed us!

and just what makes her p**p any less smelly than anyone else's

purri
10-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Too true 'bra. As the book title said "this whispering in our hearts".
BTW I did a joint visarts project with the Moree mob (Gamilaraay) and Lakota Sioux, toured the OZ embassy in DC in 2001. Then DFAT asked "is there any contentious material"?". Of course I told them otherwise. :D

(and a big "Yaama " to you Paladin).