PDA

View Full Version : Cuprinol from Chris Craft factory? PHOTO

DPowers
05-11-2003, 01:39 PM
I think I have determined the green on all of the interior skin is cuprinol. Every square inch is green. I have removed decking boards on the bow, and it is even there, inbetween 2 sandwiched boards. I was not aware CHris did this from the factory. The boat is a 55 and is remarkably well preserved.

ANy one else seen cuprinol from the Chris Craft factory?

Dan
http://www.palstudios.com/dptv/chris/gutted.jpg

Ken Hutchins
05-11-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm hoping that is what it is, been hoping to find a boat treated with it as I have already put 2 gallons on TALLY HO II :D Just noticed you are looking for a supply, Cuprinol was bought by Sherwin Williams, they have it or can get it for you. Also some of the Wooden boat suppliers have it. :D

[ 05-11-2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hutchins ]

DPowers
05-11-2003, 04:13 PM
IF this stuff came from the factory and the boat is unrestored, then it does a very good job of maintaining the interior bilge wood.
There are some soft spots of course, it is 50 years old. But suprisingly good condition.
I plan on coating and injectingto the keel and bilge area CPES. I wonder where the Cupronil goes from there. CPES is going to do a better job of keeping the wood, so maybe just some similar green paint for finishing.

Paul Scheuer
05-11-2003, 04:49 PM
What are, or are there handling precautions for cuprinol ? Surface contact, dust, etc.

JormaS
05-11-2003, 05:24 PM
I havenīt used Cuprinol but Interlux used to sell something that fits the description and it was (is?) called Intercuprol. Says "copper naphtenate" on the can if memory serves. Itīs an oily, blue-green coloured liquid which when applied looks like a transparent stain. It soaks well into wood, is certainly poisonous and smells rather bad for a long time. Good stuff.

Ken Liden
05-12-2003, 01:04 AM
The same stuff is available in the Behr and Jasco lables available at your favorite Lowes or Home Depot store.

Ken Hutchins
05-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Some of the other brands have lower % of the copper naphthenate, Cuprinol is 22.3 % and the remainder inert ingredients. I've seen others as low as 12%, don't remember the brands. I go for the highest % of copper naphthenate which is the important part, inert ingredients don't protect the boat. CHEAPER PRODUCTS ARE LIKE SEX IN A CANOE. :D :D :D
It is a skin irritant wear good gloves and vapor mask, both when applying and when doing any sanding after.

TimothyB
05-12-2003, 10:02 AM
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/store/product_list_pages/Wood_Oils_Finishes_Finishes_Cuprinol.html?L+scstor e+txdz1219ff7c557c+1062482077

Ken Liden
05-13-2003, 10:22 PM
I have a 1994 Cuprinol can that I keep just for putting the the other stuff into for painting. It like all the other brands of copper naphthenate I have found are 10%. I have heard that it used to be stronger but have never found any.

Bob Adams
05-15-2003, 12:32 PM
I was under the impression tht the Enviro-Nazis had already done away with copper napthenate.Cuprinol still has it?

Ken Liden
05-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Sorry guys, I have errored. My Cuprinol green preservitive (aka green # 10) is 20% copper napthenate, The Behr brand is 19.25% and the Jasco brand is 25%.