PDA

View Full Version : Australia ranked 2nd in quality of life

switters
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Congrats Aussies, dont let it go to your head though, we still don't care how you think we should run our country.

For those of you who are curious but don't want to chase the article down, Norway is #1.

USA #13 and dropping

Britan #21

Canada down from 3 to #4

They figure it out like this.

The HDI combines three dimensions:

Life expectancy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy) at birth, as an index of population health and longevity
Knowledge and education, as measured by the adult literacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy) rate (with two-thirds weighting) and the combined primary, secondary, and tertiary gross enrollment ratio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_enrollment_ratio) (with one-third weighting).
Standard of living (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_of_living), as measured by the natural logarithm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_logarithm) of gross domestic product (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_domestic_product) per capita (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_capita) at purchasing power parity.

a bit simplistic, and easy to argue with, but probably a very good tool.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/australia-ranks-second-for-quality-of-life-20091005-gjej.html

So live it up, and g'day.

Nicholas Scheuer
10-05-2009, 04:43 PM
We were happy to see Norway listed #1, as we have a very high opinion of theat country after our 2-wk vacation there in August.

Moby Nick

PeterSibley
10-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Yep ,it's pretty good !:)

TimH
10-05-2009, 05:43 PM
1. Norway 0.971 (▬)
2. Australia 0.970 (▬)
3. Iceland 0.969 (▬)
4. Canada 0.966 (▬)
5. Ireland 0.965 (▬)
6. Netherlands 0.964 (▲ 1)
7. Sweden 0.963 (▼ 1)
8. France 0.961 (▲ 3)
9. Switzerland 0.960 (▬)
10. Japan 0.960 (▬)
11. Luxembourg 0.960 (▼ 3)
12. Finland 0.959 (▲ 1)
13. United States 0.956 (▼ 1)
14. Austria 0.955 (▲ 2)
15. Spain 0.955 (▬)
16. Denmark 0.955 (▼ 2)
17. Belgium 0.953 (▬)
18. Italy 0.951 (▲ 1)
19. Liechtenstein 0.951 (▼ 1)
20. New Zealand 0.950 (▬)
21. United Kingdom 0.947 (▬)
22. Germany 0.947 (▬)
23. Singapore 0.944 (▲ 1)
24. Hong Kong 0.944 (▼ 1)
25. Greece 0.942 (▬)
26. South Korea 0.937 (▬)
27. Israel 0.935 (▲ 1)
28. Andorra 0.934 (▼ 1)
29. Slovenia 0.929 (▬)
30. Brunei 0.920 (▬)
31. Kuwait 0.916 (▬)
32. Cyprus 0.914 (▬)
33. Qatar 0.910 (▲ 1)
34. Portugal 0.909 (▼ 1)
35. United Arab Emirates 0.903 (▲ 2)
36. Czech Republic 0.903 (▬)
37. Barbados 0.903 (▲ 2)
38. Malta 0.902 (▼ 3)

switters
10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Serious question, what is so different between NZ and Oz?

seanz
10-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Oh, gawd................

seanz
10-05-2009, 05:58 PM
And now we return to our scheduled programming........

Congrats Aussies, dont let it go to your head though, we still don't care how you think we should run our country.

I wonder, if there was an index of countries that tell other countries how to run things, which country would be at the top?
:rolleyes::D

PeterSibley
10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh, gawd................

Oh go on ...have a go !:D

Steve Paskey
10-05-2009, 06:07 PM

That's precisely the problem. Oz is 0.970, and NZ is 0.950 -- that's a difference of .020, a bit over 2%. What does that really mean? And yet Oz is ranked #2, and NZ is ranked #20. Here's the message I get from this -- the top 20 are all so close to each other that the differences between them are smaller than the margin of error, and the rankings are essentially meaningless.

seanz
10-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Sort of what I were thinking when I noticed that NZ outranked Germany and the UK.....

Bruce Taylor
10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
in this venue, it would be Canada.

True, but we don't provide this service to Norway, Australia or Iceland, since they seem to know what they're doing . :p

TimH
10-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Technically Oz and NZ are not the same thing.

B_B
10-05-2009, 07:18 PM
It's "if there were an index," and in this venue, it would be Canada.

Yaay! we win something!

B_B
10-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I would assume, given the parameters of the study, that New Zealands per capita GDP played a large part in its low ranking. New Zealand appears to have a per capita GDP of about $28,000 vs. Australia at about $38,000 (US $)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Larks
10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
, we still don't care how you think we should run our country.

actually we don't really care how you run your country, except when it effects us.

As for the difference between NZ and Australia? Well NZ's just a crap country really, crap scenery, crap wines, crap ocean fishing, crap sailing, crap boats, crap diving, crap skiing, crap hiking, crap rivers, crap fly fishing, crap countryside, crap crayfish, crap adventure sports, crap climbing, crap summers, crap attitudes......pretty sad place really, not somewhere that we'd ever recommend to anyone!!! ;)

L.W. Baxter
10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm alarmed to see that Luxembourg has fallen three spots!

What happened, did one of the Luxembourgers get a hangnail?

purri
10-05-2009, 08:06 PM

NZ has better health stats for their Maori than our mobs (x4 worse than whitebread OZ)

John B
10-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Technically Oz and NZ are not the same thing.

Is that statement based on anectdotal or empirical data.:D

or is it just the thousand miles of ocean?.

Australia is the lucky country , full of minerals and wealth. ( did you know that AU hasn't technically even been in recession recently?)
NZ isn't so lucky with the minerals and wealth, although we don't have anything much that bites , apart from some big fish occasionally.
In fact its the pits , it rains all the time and it needs a mow. and we've been in recession .

Bruce Taylor
10-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Australia is the lucky country , full of minerals and wealth.

But it's not such a good place to take your mum.

http://www.davewalshphoto.com/dave_walsh_photography/flight_of_the_conchords_tiritiri_matangi2_500.jpg

GaryK
10-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Whoever made that list with oz at #2 obviously didnt take into account the price of housing here..

Larks
10-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Is
In fact its the pits , it rains all the time and it needs a mow.

:D I forgot that bit:D

J P
10-05-2009, 10:59 PM

All these 'studies' ... :rolleyes:

NZ ... "Most Promiscuous Women ... "

Oz ... "Worlds Worst Husbands ..."

... or is it just the thousand miles of ocean?.

This is probably a good thang. ;)

seanz
10-05-2009, 11:33 PM

Oz ... "Worlds Worst Husbands ..."

Match made in Heaven, mate...match made in Heaven.....
:):):)

Nicholas Scheuer
10-06-2009, 04:50 AM
Question for the Australians here:

In a similar thread over on the Trailer Sailers Political Forum a fellow who has been to Australia on vacation commented that "(Australia) was over regulated".

Reading stuff posted here by Austrailians over a number of years does not indicate "over regulation" to me.

As for steriotypes, doesn't the image of Crocodile Dundee a pot of coffee under the shade of a Billabong Tree in the Outback express just the opposite?

From what I can discerne, the fellow who made the comment positions himself pretty much "right" on the political scale, and is very, very afraid of Obama.

Moby Nick

Larks
10-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Yep, Australia is certainly over regulated - we're being wrapped in cotton wool for our own damn good.

As for steriotypes, you probably mean a billy of tea under a gum tree, anything stronger and you'd probably have to get a permit.

PeterSibley
10-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Greg , I've never had a bloody permit to do anything but drive ! If a bloke lives in the suburbs what else can he expect .The closer to the skyscrapers the bigger the rule book ...no matter where you live .

JimD
10-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Iceland, that most competitive of nations, has been working hard to overtake us here in the Great White North. But its not over yet. We'll be back next year. So get ready, Iceland, cuz we're comin'.

Paul Pless
10-06-2009, 05:58 AM
From what I can discerne, the fellow who made the comment positions himself pretty much "right" on the political scale, and is very, very afraid of Obama.

Moby NickTylerdurden posts on the TS forum too???;)

Paul Pless
10-06-2009, 06:20 AM
As for steriotypes, doesn't the image of Crocodile Dundee a pot of coffee under the shade of a Billabong Tree in the Outback express just the opposite?Dude... :D

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt239/Wild_Dingo_2009/SANY0226.jpg

purri
10-06-2009, 06:38 AM
chirp.

Larks
10-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Greg , I've never had a bloody permit to do anything but drive ! If a bloke lives in the suburbs what else can he expect .The closer to the skyscrapers the bigger the rule book ...no matter where you live .

Actually believe it or not but that's in Darwin - some last frontier eh?
- No alcohol in a public space within 2km of a pub (or something like that) to discourage anti-social behaviour - ie keep the long grassers from drinking on the esplanade.

- Want to go bush? Need a permit to access pretty much any area off the highway that isn't a cattle station. Need a parks visitor permit, need a permit to go on aboriginal land.

PeterSibley
10-06-2009, 07:03 AM
After Nth Qld , it's kinds nice to see some aborigine muscle ....you may differ .

George.
10-06-2009, 07:15 AM
"Quality of life" seems to be unrelated to apparent happiness. Otherwise, how could you explain, say, Switzerland and Japan outranking Spain and Brazil?

PeterSibley
10-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Crime ?

George.
10-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Winter? Suicides? Anal retentiveness?

LeeG
10-06-2009, 08:35 AM

I wouldn't mind these folks providing some consulting services for the US gov't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdnAaQ0n5-8&feature=PlayList&p=AB371E5FB92B96F6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

LeeG
10-06-2009, 08:38 AM
And chopper Reid coming on Glenn Becks program to tell him and the tea baggers to HTFU.

Popeye
10-06-2009, 08:45 AM
i'm going berry picking this weekend

http://www.ideaphore.com/Image_Galleries/2004.09.06.Skerwink/IMG_3220.jpg

goodbasil
10-06-2009, 08:49 AM
This study is from /07, before Iceland went bankrupt.
Also, about a year ago 60 minutes reported that the Danes were the most happy people on earth. So you'd think that they'd have a higher ranking than 16th.

LeeG
10-06-2009, 08:56 AM
i'm going berry picking this weekend

http://www.ideaphore.com/Image_Galleries/2004.09.06.Skerwink/IMG_3220.jpg

you could use one of these

http://www.biketriad.com/albums/misc/surly_pugsley1.sized.jpg

Popeye
10-06-2009, 09:06 AM
and you could move out of your mom's basement

TimH
10-06-2009, 09:20 AM

I have heard that, but are they hot? :D

GaryK
10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
@Nicholas & regulation Q:
Definitely. They made everyone carry an EPIRB if you go more then 2Nm offshore and now we need to sit an exam to skipper anything over 5hp in a backyard pond.
Wont stop there, the safety nazis are itching for more..

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-06-2009, 11:48 AM
1. Norway 0.971 (▬)
2. Australia 0.970 (▬)
3. Iceland 0.969 (▬)
4. Canada 0.966 (▬)
5. Ireland 0.965 (▬)
6. Netherlands 0.964 (▲ 1)

Its clearly Coastline/Land_Area - and someone has stuffed up the calculation of Australia's coastline.

No, on second thoughts, maybe it's Coasline/population.

High C
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
-- the top 20 are all so close to each other that the differences between them are smaller than the margin of error, and the rankings are essentially meaningless.

Accurate analysis...worthy of a bump.

B_B
10-06-2009, 12:16 PM
No, on second thoughts, maybe it's Coasline/population.
up to Netherlands at 6 you may have a point - but I doubt the Netherlands has a good Coastline/population ratio - and Switzerland, at no.9 doesn't even have said ratio (although they do have the Cup which may count for their high placement).

LeeG
10-06-2009, 07:00 PM
and you could move out of your mom's basement

garage, you don't like the color? Come on, a super fat tired mtn. bike would be great for that trail.

John B
10-06-2009, 07:44 PM

I must be living in a different universe.
Dang alternate planes, they suck.

WX
10-06-2009, 08:13 PM
It's your accent John, they can't understand you:D

purri
10-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Actually believe it or not but that's in Darwin - some last frontier eh?
- No alcohol in a public space within 2km of a pub (or something like that) to discourage anti-social behaviour - ie keep the long grassers from drinking on the esplanade.

- Want to go bush? Need a permit to access pretty much any area off the highway that isn't a cattle station. Need a parks visitor permit, need a permit to go on aboriginal land.

Haven't you heard the maxim "whitefella wilderness, blakfella backyard" ?:)

Larks
10-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, but in this case the communities themselves seem to have little say. I'm not in a minority when I say that I have been personally invited to a community by elders only to have some turkey in the Northern Land council require me to buy a permit each time and on one occasion deny me the permit for no given reason other than they didn't like the community talking to me directly.

purri
10-06-2009, 09:06 PM
I know what you mean. NLC admin is basically run by balanda bureaucrats looking after their own interests. If you can get a permit and letter of recommendation from the TOs (or a local Elders Council) then it should override the Darwin office. Which part of A.L. and what mob specifically?

BTW I have 'lations that way (and all over)
and where's Wonga in QLD?

RFNK
10-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Well, I'm certainly not on the so-called `right' of the political spectrum and I think it's a bit mad talking politics on a wooden boat forum but I just had to bite on this one. Australia is over-regulated to blazes and it's getting much worse. The problem stems from it being a nation with a population and economy about the same size as California but having a ridiculous constitution that locks us into having, effectively, 8 state or territory governments, all with their own parliament and swag of government departments and agencies, a federal/national government and local district governments on top of that. Each parliament is saturated with members of the legal profession so the steady decline towards a life managed by lawyers for every Australian is unlikely to be diverted any time soon.

Australia does have a reputation for telling the rest of the world how wonderful we are, based primarily on our capacity to do quite well in sport and our creeping (creepy) self-belief in our economic prowess (due entirely to the fact that we're sitting on the world's biggest coal reserves - nothing else). I don't actually think this has been a national characteristic but, rather, a reputation gained from the stupid, but typical, hyperbole of our politicians who serve us so incredibly badly. It's actually really embarrassing living in Asia and watching the behaviour of Australia's so-called leaders from afar and saddening to see how the Australian media picks this rubbish up and splashes it around. While NZ suffers from the problem of being full of New Zealanders (mostly annoying - especially during rugby season) :D and really bad food :eek: (icecream is good though!), it's a country that stands in real contrast to the lazy approach Australian politicians and, unfortunately, too many real Australians, are adopting these days. NZ has few natural resources but has an amazing capacity for inventiveness, quality, and resourcefulness. They've been forced through isolation and lack of natural wealth to develop leading edge technologies in many fields, including so much to do with boats, and brand their stuff really well. Australia used to be more like this. A famous (but deplorable) Kiwi was asked years ago, when visiting Australia, if he was concerned that so many NZers were migrating to Australia - this was at a time when Kiwis were wearing t-shirts with the message `Would the last person to leave please turn out the lights'. His response was `No, in fact it raises the average IQ of both nations'. Well, maybe there's some truth in that. Australia's becoming a lazy place where the population is just letting the lawyers/politicians hoodwink the public into increasing complacency about the future and the degree to which politicians already control our lives instead of really using the coal-boom income to fuel a truly sustainable future and promote self-reliance and resourcefulness.

Is Australia the second best place in the world to live? Maybe, in the same way that Babylon, Rome, Constantinople and Atlantis were, once. But I find it's also a really annoying place - I recently had to spend a training day actually pushing a motorbike around a carpark in order to gain a learner's permit to ride a motorbike and wear long sleeves, a hat and gloves for the whole time - by law. This in a country where we blithely watch our future go up as smoke in the power stations of China and Korea. Big picture? What big picture? Rick

Lew Barrett
10-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Also, about a year ago 60 minutes reported that the Danes were the most happy people on earth.
.In point of fact, the epicenter of happiness is Anaheim California. I read that on the sign as I was entering town.

The Happiest Place on Earth (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/landing?name=DisneylandParkLandingPage&bhcp=1)

bobbys
10-06-2009, 10:45 PM
I think i will be the very foist person in the bilge to say he should have no opinion on somewhere hes never been.

This is indeed hard as i have seen Crocodile Dundee movies, the movie Australia, read 4 dingo threads, Know 2 verses to Waltzing Matilda, Saw that Robert Mitchem movie , Like shrimp but have never put them on a Barbie doll, Have 2 good friends from Oz.

Cant be to good a place where they dont trust there own people with guns though!!.

However after reading some of the comments from the Aussies here its all becoming very clear why .:D

GaryK
10-07-2009, 09:16 AM
How does gun ownership have anything to do with quality of life?
Fact that you feel you need them says a lot more than anything else...

TimH
10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
you need guns to prevent someone from beating you up :)

You aussies must get beat up a lot.

brad9798
10-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I thought FINDING NEMO was a good movie! Taught me a lot about Sydney ... and dentistry!

GaryK
10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
you need guns to prevent someone from beating you up :)

You aussies must get beat up a lot.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df3_1246936960

Larks
10-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Rick, I have to agree with everything you say, (except the food in NZ - I'm very fond of their crays' and lamb).

Purri, Wongawallan is a bit north of the Gold Coast. I lived in both Alice Springs and Darwin for quite a while up until about six years ago (other than another 18 months stint in Darwin that I've just finished) and in one job I was involved in identifying some business development opportunities, including for indig' employment and community owned operations, so I spent a bit of time all over the NT. Mostly, if it was to do with indig' opportunities, I'd be asked by a community to visit them, Nhulunbuy, Oenpelli, Coburg Peninsula, Melville Island, Kakadu (who were unnecessarily very "big brothered" by Parks staff), around Katherine, and anywhere east and west and south to the borders.

Gary, the gun things an old argument, but as much as I don't miss my guns I did regret being forced to hand them in. I certainly don't need them for any personal protection, (the most ridiculous comment that I've heard regarding guns) but I did enjoy popping a bunny for the pot and a bit of target shooting once in a while.

RFNK
10-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm very fond of their crays' and lamb

They have crays? The mean buggers never offered me any of those! As for lambs, well I've been to NZ during lambing season - cute little lambs everywhere - with tails! I'm too much of a sook to eat them! Rick

Larks
10-07-2009, 10:51 PM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/Larks_01/PC190034.jpg

GaryK
10-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Gary, the gun things an old argument, but as much as I don't miss my guns I did regret being forced to hand them in. I certainly don't need them for any personal protection, (the most ridiculous comment that I've heard regarding guns) but I did enjoy popping a bunny for the pot and a bit of target shooting once in a while.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df3_1246936960

Larks, actually the above link is not about guns. it is a reply to TimH's "aussies beaten up" comment.
The link is to a story about US sailors been beaten up in Perth. One of the attackers was a pregnant woman!

Larks
10-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Sorry Gary, it was a poorly constructed sentence (distracted by trying to search for and understand chemical compositions of steel relevent to its strengths and uses - sort of - I think) but I did realise that, the attackers looked like bloody kids!!!.My comment was more related to how Tim's tongue in cheek comment is used by others more seriously elsewhere - in some of the "old argument" gun threads, seems to be given as a more "sincere" argument for keeping guns.

RFNK
10-08-2009, 02:54 AM
Oi Greg, you'd call those little things crays? :D Rick

Larks
10-08-2009, 03:45 AM
It's deceptive, Gerry, sitting over them, is a really big bloke, huge feet!!!

RFNK
10-08-2009, 05:16 AM
Well that sea urchin must be a whopper then!! :D Rick

Gerry?

Larks
10-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Gerry is the guy sitting over them, (sorry about the poor punctuation??? and I have no idea how to spell the shortened version of Gerald..) I think the reason he picked up the sea urchin was because it was in fact so big, one of his neighbours was after one for some reason.

shamus
10-08-2009, 05:24 AM
Tassie style:
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd277/shamus1955/le_f03.jpg

RFNK
10-08-2009, 05:41 AM
That's more like it Shamus! What we used to call a blue mundy when I was a kid!

OK Greg, I'll concede that along with whitebait omelettes (shudder), Watties baked beans, various root crops that should be left in the ground, hoki deep fried in 3cm of the oiliest batter you're ever likely to come across and floury apples with blight that we don't want in Australia, they also have SOME quite edible food, including crayfish since you've provided evidence. Actually sea urchin is quite nice too! :D
Rick

Larks
10-08-2009, 05:47 AM
Oh, and muscles, cheeses and some pretty bloody good wines!!! A perfect staple diet really.

RFNK
10-08-2009, 05:53 AM
I spent a week at Raglan once, surfing and living like the hippy I was on mussels, as they grew prolifically on the rocks there and were free. After the week I felt I'd had my share .... I should also point out that I'd previously spent 4 months surfing in SE Asia without a day of illness but got food poisoning in NZ - clearly not a very hygienic place :D Rick