are crumbled.

But rather than being blinded by these things, my
eyes are being opened to things and people that
have been a part of his life........things I never knew
or for some reason refused to see.

He has touched the lives of so many, and has left
a big pair of shoes to fill.There is a bit of self reflection
that needs to be done. I can't help but wonder as I hear
from others about my dads life, how would friends view mine?

There is no doubt, there is room for improvement.

Ian Marchuk
10-04-2009, 11:41 PM
I was a lad of 13 when I lost my 11 year old and only brother . Killed instantly while riding his bike . Struck by a car driven by a hopeless drunk on a lovely saturday afternoon.
Ten years ago I was at my dad's bedside in the hospital washing his dewey brow when he gasped, looked into my eyes , and left this life. A massive heart attack. My dad's death was a merciful one , at 77 in fine form,he had learned the day before that he had pancreatic cancer .
These are shattering experiences that so profoundly alter our perceptions of reality and what our capacity for emotional pain is.
Our hearts go out to you in these times of such terrible heartache.
I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your father.
Our warmest and best wishes for comfort and peace of mind for you and your family.
Ian

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-05-2009, 12:11 AM
"Rejoice, rejoice, we have no choice, but to carry on."

Stiletto
10-05-2009, 02:14 AM
Good on you Jack, being aware of the larger thing than just your own grief is a special kind of awareness.

It is one more thing your father has given you.

John B
10-05-2009, 04:08 AM
It does cause you to re evaluate a few things eh Jack.
Best wishes to you.

Duncan Gibbs
10-05-2009, 05:20 AM
I'm too tired from bending on the shovel in the heat and sun today Jack, so do not have the mental capacity to write as gracefully as Ian has ... and especially as you have Jack: Know that the depth and complexity of feeling you've both stirred in me, however, is. Know that my thoughts are with you as you comprehend the hole created by you father's passing.

TomF
10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Grief is a good thing - it's evidence of the quality of the relationship you've had. Imagine the grief that might be appropriate ... if you didn't feel grief at your father's passing.

As I've said elsewhere Jack, I'm sorry for your loss. But thank God there's a hole now, eh?

Tristan
10-06-2009, 08:04 PM
My dad died 25 years ago Jack, and I still miss him a lot. But I also find that my dad still lives ----- in the way I think and behave, the way I enjoy a cold front blowing through or a thunder storm abuilding, the way I love my kids. They're still here Jack. Every so often you'll wonder which is you and which is your dad.