PDA

View Full Version : Finished the guitar cabinet

Flying Orca
10-03-2009, 11:29 PM
...more or less. You can see it full of instruments if you visit my blog, just click on the link in my sig.

For those of you who are interested, I mean. ;)

Paul Girouard
10-03-2009, 11:47 PM
No doors? Glass maybe? I didn't read your whole blog so maybe the answers in there, pictures are kind of small.

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Those recessed lights in the top are flourescent.....right? so you don't cook your tuning heads? Where are the doors?

JBreeze
10-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Click on the pics for larger size.....the doors appear to be sliding glass.

Flying Orca
10-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Fluorescent light and sliding glass doors.

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 08:34 AM
AH! Now I see! (Said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw....) I thought you were doing hinged doors..... Why no cedar in the bottom part?
Looks good BTW.

Flying Orca
10-04-2009, 08:41 AM
I was looking at hinged doors, and the weight would have been problematic, not to mention having doors sticking 27" out into the room every time I opened it. Accident waiting to happen.

No cedar in the bottom because it's just case storage... and because I already spent about $1000 on this thing, and that's quite enough. :eek:

Woxbox
10-04-2009, 08:54 AM
... and who let that banjo sneak into the guitar cabinet?

Paul Girouard
10-04-2009, 08:56 AM
No cedar in the bottom because it's just case storage... and because I already spent about $1000 on this thing, and that's quite enough. :eek:

I'd suggest spending a bit more and adding two swinging doors to cover the lower storage area. It's only money and you can't take it with you;)

George Jung
10-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Very nice! And nice blog ya got going there.

Flying Orca
10-04-2009, 09:21 AM
... and who let that banjo sneak into the guitar cabinet?

It's a sin and a shame, to be sure, but at least it's a tenor banjo. :D

I'd suggest spending a bit more and adding two swinging doors to cover the lower storage area. It's only money and you can't take it with you;)

I'm contemplating doors for the storage area, but I thought I'd live with it "as is" for a while and see whether I want to change it. I'm not overly uptight about money, but this thing was already financed through the Bank of Mom & Dad, so I'm trying to avoid being too extravagant! :o

Very nice! And nice blog ya got going there.

Thanks, I'm hoping to work on the boat enough to justify blogging a lot more over the coming year.

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I hate to admit to agreeing with Paul, (;) ) but...... Yeah...... The cases really don't need to be a focal point.....
And the visual weight of solid doors at the bottom would ground the cabinet nicely.

Paul Girouard
10-04-2009, 09:29 AM
I hate to admit to agreeing with Paul, (;) )

Most do , join the ever growing club! :D

Flying Orca
10-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I am leaning that way. Doors are easy enough to retrofit. If the dimensions were a better fit I'd think about tamboured doors, but the depth is less than half the width, so that wouldn't work all that well and would cut down the interior space too much. Maybe some musically-themed carved butternut panels in red oak frames... hmmm...

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Or straight grained spruce with f holes....

Uncle Duke
10-04-2009, 09:34 AM
The cases really don't need to be a focal pointA nice neutral curtain would fix the problem (until you're ready to do something permanent) at very low cost. :D

Flying Orca
10-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Oooooh, that could be nice. Got any 26" wide straight-grained spruce kicking around? Or even two sets of book-matched 13" wide... I'm not picky. ;)

Flying Orca
10-04-2009, 09:37 AM
A nice neutral curtain would fix the problem (until you're ready to do something permanent) at very low cost. :D

Also an option under consideration. Mom's a quilter and has offered a quilted curtain.

Paul Girouard
10-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Or straight grained spruce with f holes....

Lefty , who you callin a F hole??? Why I oughta ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Opps you mean the musical F hole , Ah carry on :D

Orc, your on to something here! Contrasting woods , musical theme , OOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenovian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 09:38 AM
As a matter of fact...Someone offered me an old piano sound board a lil while ago..... I'll see if it's still up for grabs.

Paul Girouard
10-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Oooooh, that could be nice. Got any 26" wide straight-grained spruce kicking around? Or even two sets of book-matched 13" wide... I'm not picky.

R. Oak frame , Live edged Alder panels , book matched, sort of the rough meets refined look??

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 09:39 AM
OOH! OOH! Quilted Maple panels with Rosewood frames! :D

Flying Orca
10-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Now you're talking. Oystagirl had the terrific idea of laminating the hangers from typical guitar woods - mahogany, spruce, ebony, rosewood, alder, ash, maple... It would have been cool, but the Laminator-In-Chief said it would be far too much of a PITA, so we went with some ash he had kicking around.

Paul Pless
10-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I think I see a problem.:o:(

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HFaRjNaQ4vY/Ssgi2kLB5TI/AAAAAAAAAb0/LXm6okioFHY/s1600/lit.jpg

You've left little room for expansion of your collection.;):D

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 10:10 AM
....And the twang box should go between the electric guitar and the mandolin...

boylesboats
10-04-2009, 10:17 AM
That is nice, Flying Orca....
That'll keep 'em outta reach of lil' sticky fangers...
I still have little grand kids, always finding strings fun to pull on...:eek:

Flying Orca
10-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Expansion is certainly an issue... there's room to move the banjo and mandolin to the back of the case and still have room to hang electrics, which is a short-term solution. Longer term, I just build another matching case. :D

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 10:31 AM
What's the little block on the side, under the mandolin?
Never mind....It's the door pull .....

Bruce Taylor
10-04-2009, 11:36 AM
That turned out really well!

When it's time to add new guitars, you can always evict the solid bodies. :)

So, you must be entering heating season out there in Winterpeg. How's the humidity in your cabinet?

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 11:42 AM
How's the humidity in your cabinet?

Shouldn't be a problem....He's filled that big one with the headstock binding up with warm water....:D

David G
10-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Looks nice. I agree about doors/curtain below.

Flying Orca
10-04-2009, 01:48 PM
So, you must be entering heating season out there in Winterpeg. How's the humidity in your cabinet?

It's cool and rainy outside right now, but 50% RH inside. I haven't actually installed the hygrometer or set up the humidifying pans yet; that's a project for later this week. Today I take it easy and hang out with Oystagirl. :)

peter radclyffe
10-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Great

ShagRock
10-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Expansion is certainly an issue... there's room to move the banjo and mandolin to the back of the case and still have room to hang electrics, which is a short-term solution. Longer term, I just build another matching case. :D

Beautiful piece of work!
And yeh, I think hanging the mandolin and bango at the back at an angle will look neat..something front on to admire as well!

MiddleAgesMan
10-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Unless you go with sliding doors (or curtain) at the bottom you'll want to raise it a few inches, 2 1/2 minimum, 5 would look better. With hinged doors that close to the floor they'll be hitting your bare feet--sooner or later--when you swing them open. Are you clear of the ceiling by a few inches at the top?

Nice job and nice collection, BTW. :)