PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

Bill R
10-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Pork chops baked in a creamy mushroom & onion sauce which is then thickened into a slam-your-arteries-shut gravy, steamed broccoli, garlic & cheddar mashed potatoes. Washed down with Gritty's Vacationland Ale.

About to send the stepdaughter out in search of a cheesecake for dessert. (an afterthought)

Russ Manheimer
10-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Roast Chicken on a bed of stale Ciabatta with EVOO and Thyme. The Chicken juices get soaked up by the bread; toasting and becoming very delicious, sauteed Spinach with shallots and a splash of cream and roasted Rosemary potatoes. Hmmmm mmmm good.

SMARTINSEN
10-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Saturday night.

Weiners and beans.

Home made cole slaw and baked beans. Hot dogs and just about the last of the fresh corn on the cob from the farmer's market.

Washed down with Yuengling's Black and Tan.

bobbys
10-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Saturday???.

"Uh-oh! SpaghettiOs!"

brad9798
10-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Homemade lasagna!

David G
10-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Wife's out of town. Oldest in Navy. Youngest at school. Just me and the dog.

PIZZA!!!!

Paul Pless
10-03-2009, 05:59 PM
grilled ham samich
frenchfries
mac&cheese
spicy pickles
ice cold cocacola

purri
10-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Warm Thai salad with skippy and a nice South Oz Reisling

paladin
10-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Boneless pork butt in the "smoker" since 6 a.m. when I was leaving for Annapolis. 12 hours later.....sliced thin, made Nawth Karolina style sauce for it...simmered it for 20 minutes...warmed a hamburger bun and slapped it full. Cole slaw and a couple of niblets on the side....ice cold unsweetened tea........then made a cuppa hot green tea and recovered a slice of key lime pie from the fridge.......cleaned up dishes, fed critters...getting ready for another shower and crash and burn.

Keith Wilson
10-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Spaghetti carbonara. I was out of Romano cheese, but there was Parmesan and Asiago, and it was yummy anyway.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Beans and toast.

http://harvey.nu/beans_on_toast/IMG_7241_heinz_beans_on_toast.jpg

Still have a little SPAM and eggs left too.

bobbys
10-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Beans and toast.

http://harvey.nu/beans_on_toast/IMG_7241_heinz_beans_on_toast.jpg

Still have a little SPAM and eggs left too. somehow i never thought of putting beans on toast, Sure i dabbled a bit and dipped my toast in beans but never had courage like that.

I tell ya dude i would not wanna meet you in a dark ally at night cause you must have tricks up your sleeve mere mortals could never dream of!!!

coelacanth2
10-03-2009, 09:40 PM
All sorts of stuff. Worked the frenchfry booth at our church Oktoberfest last night and tonight. RC, so a rather broad representation. In the last two days we've dined on Philipino, Mexican, Polish, Italian, EasternShore (crabcakes, that is) and of course, German. Oh yes, and some decent dark beer.

Dave Gray
10-03-2009, 09:51 PM
King salmon from the grill. Spinach salad with cucumbers and tomatoes. Damn, I have to start buying tomatoes again!

Wild Dingo
10-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Well LAST NIGHT I had a wonderful spagetti bolognaise (sp) ala "spag bog" tortalinie spag done aldentie (sp) chopped garlic and onion simmered in extra virgin olive oil till golden then taken out to one side next whacked in the beef and pork mince slow cook that toss in half each red and green capsicum (sweet peppers) some grated carrot and 7 quartered field shrooms cook slow and steady when almost done toss in half a cup of good red wine simmer for 5 mins toss in the onion and garlic and a handfull of Oregano and a tablespoon of Basil

Toss the tortalinie for a few secs then tip onto plate slater the bog on top grate some fresh parmesian and a meal fit for a king!! :cool:

Mind you I still make enough for what was my family!! Bloody hell Ive got so much leftover Im gonna give it away to some poor starving biafricanesque hippy yippie yaya sort... mmm oh yes! KREE!!! Dinners served sis! :D

Pics can surface if proof is required ;)

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Pics can surface if proof is required ;)

All we have up are beans and toast..... so far.
I think that killed everybody's appetite Shane.

seanz
10-04-2009, 05:22 AM
King salmon from the grill. Spinach salad with cucumbers and tomatoes. Damn, I have to start buying tomatoes again!

Tag! Bought a punnet of (6 cherry tomato) seedlings a few weeks back, potted them up and they now wait in fear....3 go in soon, with the other 3 as backup in case a late frost nails the first lot. Cunning, eh?;):)

Dinner was Vegetarian Thai red curry and rice.....a mix of home-grown, fresh and frozen vegies but it tasted fine and it took about as long to cook as it did to eat.

downthecreek
10-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Quail, slowly pot roasted in good olive oil and a little butter, stuffed with parma ham and sage and finished with a little white wine (a couple each) Garlic potatoes. Dunno about the other veg yet. I've been picking blackberries, the new Coxes are in and we have some clotted cream, so that will make a good crumble. Maybe we might open that nice bottle of Savigny that's sitting in the wine rack......

I'm not normally one for the "best in all the world" lark, but I really can't imagine an apple more delectable than a fresh plucked, perfectly ripe, "first of the season, English Cox's Orange Pippin.

PeterSibley
10-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Sour dough rye and cheese plus one apple .:D

downthecreek
10-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Sour dough rye and cheese plus one apple .:D

And what could be better than good bread, good cheese and a good apple?

Bon appetit! :)

Phillip Allen
10-04-2009, 06:46 AM
thinking of doing a roast for supper...

PeterSibley
10-04-2009, 06:50 AM
And what could be better than good bread, good cheese and a good apple?

Bon appetit! :)

I can only agree !:)

John Smith
10-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Dinner here is a nasty subject.

I'll eat anything other than liver, kidneys, or salted watermelon.

My wife is about the same.

The rest of the folks here are quite selective in what they'll eat, and the list of things all of us will eat gets pretty small.

One interesting meal I've devised that all seem to like and is simple and cheap:

1 lb of elbows. While the elbows drain, I dump two cands of crushed tomatos into the pot, keeping low heat on. Then I dump the elbows back into the pot.

Next I add 16 oz of grated cheese; sometimes cheddar, sometimes mozzarella, sometimes the mexican taco mix.

If I'm in the mood, I'll have been browning a small package of chopped beef, sausage, or such, which I will have dumped into the strainer before the elbows, so the hot water rinses the meet.

Once it's all back in the pot, I put a lid on and stir every couple of minutes until the cheese is melted.

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Last night was Jambalaya, with chicken, shrimp, chorizo, green pepper, dirty rice, onion, garlic, chopped hot cherry peppers,thyme, cumin, celery, parsely, various and sundry other spices......
Friday was sausage pizza, with mushrooms, fresh tomato and basil......
Tonight I dunno....It's my night off.

Wayne Jeffers
10-04-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm making my first big pot of Gumbo of the season today.

Wayne

Paul Pless
10-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I'll eat anything other than liver, kidneys, or salted watermelon.I've been having trouble finding good deep fried chicken livers up here in Michigan... guess I'll have to do them myself. I bet Katherine will not be happy with that for dinner... maybe I won't tell her what she's eating and just serve them over rice smothered with gravy (bacon grease gravy probably;))

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Chikin livers? (Where's the "retch" emoticon?)

Canoez
10-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Went to an Oktoberfest last night. We brought a pork tenderloin that was filleted, stuffed with apple, bacon and onion (all sauteed in a bit of the bacon fat, carmelized with a bit of brown sugar and deglazed with cider vinegar) wrapped in bacon and cooked with a bottle of hard cider in the baking dish. Yum. There were galumpki, potato salads, cole slaw, sauerkraut, ham, bread, sausages and more. I was stuffed!

Mrleft8
10-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Bacon and apple stuffed pork, cooked in bacon fat and apple cider, wrapped in bacon, served with a side of pork sausage, and ham.... "And to drink with that?"
"Pork cider!"
"Very good sir!" :D

Canoez
10-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Lefty - the pork is sooooo good that when we visit my in-laws, my MIL makes me prep two of them all stuffed and tied up to go into the freezer for after we've gone!

:cool:

Bill R
10-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Up to my a** in homework, so tonight is pizza, sitting at my desk...

paladin
10-04-2009, 07:24 PM
just finished a nice pulled pork sammich, some cole slaw and a couple of niblets......sitting here reading the mail, took my pills, and having 2-3 Oreo cookies before crashing and burning.

openboater
10-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Hot sausage sandwich with fried peppers and onions.

bowl of chocolate ice cream with sliced bananas.

Watch the Cowboys loose (as a Giants fan, thats the icing on the cake)

seanz
10-04-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm not normally one for the "best in all the world" lark, but I really can't imagine an apple more delectable than a fresh plucked, perfectly ripe, "first of the season, English Cox's Orange Pippin.

The New Zealand ones, perhaps? :D:p

Sadly, getting harder to find as growers swap to more commercial brands such as the dreaded Braeburn*....:(

*Braeburns are, in fact, quite a nice apple if eaten fresh from the tree....at least mine are. :)

Canoez
10-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Tonight? Mushrooms sauteed with garlic, thyme, parsley and de-glazed with red wine and topped with some fresh mozzerella and browned under the broiler. Add some Kalamata olives, fresh bread, a balsamic/basil/garlic/olive oil dipping sauce and a few glasses of a decent red and that was dinner.

seanz
10-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Hmmm, that one has potential......