PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Air Races

ron ll
10-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow. Probably been discussed here before, and I have seen them before, but wow. Just a for instance, you are disqualified if you pull more than 12 G's. Amazing machines, amazing pilots.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/99692/red-bull-air-race-san-diego-2009

Michael s/v Sannyasin
10-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Yea, that 12G number really surprised me, and the fact that people were actually pulling more and getting DQed.

Did you see the bird strike in San Diego?

ron ll
10-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I admit I haven't seen all of this one yet, I had to get back to work. But I remember seeing one a couple of years ago over land, I think maybe in Arizona, and a cockpit camera showed a pilot blacking out and then suddenly bumped awake. The external camera show that while blacked out he came too close to the ground and the "bump" was his gear hitting the ground before he woke up and pulled up, at over 200mph.

switters
10-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Yea, that 12G number really surprised me, and the fact that people were actually pulling more and getting DQed.

Did you see the bird strike in San Diego?

Cannot believe he finished the last part of the race after that, I am still wondering if he saw it before he hit it, or just got lucky. I wonder how many of them would have stayed at that speed 50-feet off the deck to finish? Not this kid.

Michael s/v Sannyasin
10-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Yea, I thought the same thing. Load some G's on the stabilizer and it might have then broken off! But he still finished 3rd, I think.

Rob Stokes, N. Vancouver
10-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Video available in US only :(

Michael s/v Sannyasin
10-02-2009, 05:39 PM
It plays on Comcast Cable on a channel called Versus, if you can't get it on Hulu.