PDA

View Full Version : talking of new technology....

jonboy
10-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't watch the box much mainly because its sh*te here with twenty minute commercial breaks and generally rubbish, and I don't have a tv anyway, but when tempted recently, with all the new HD bollix and wide flat screen blah blah, I went into the local 'electro domesticos' shop and was unimpressed...still one or two standard format tvs on the shelves but of course banks of enormous flat screen gear. So, actually able to compare...'Why is everyone short and fat,' I said, watching a soccer match... and looking at another channel with an especially gorgeous presenter who looked like she'd lived in McDonalds for a month, compared to the TV over there..... the salesman refused to see my point.. and, it's not just Portugal which actually has a very high technological level in consumer goods,.... when I was back in the uk last month the mother of the Queen of All She Surveys had been persuaded to buy a new box because analogue tv is being phased out...the quality was like the early digital cameras.. a bit pixel-y, And more to the point, if you weren't more or or less directly in front of the screen it all went negative -ish.. The sound was crap too, all muffled like everyone speaking through cotton wool..
Am I getting old? Did she buy a piece of crap on the back of the 'You wont be able to watch the telly anymore bs...'

certainly sounding like my dear departed old man these days...
Tell me I'm wrong please...?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
You can still watch the telly - but its all carp.

Except Dave - sometimes.

Presenters get squashed or etiolated in a random, arbitrary manner - this is part of the fun.

Yes you are getting older - and yes your hearing is probably pretty poor - I checked mine recently and found damn all beyond 12.5K - and despite this the sound from a TV is still dreadful - fine sound is transmitted but squeezed out through the crappy little drive units in a large flat resonant plastic frame will sound pretty dire.

Have you noticed how well a pair of ELS57s matches a new flat screen telly?

jonboy
10-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Point taken , but also some more comments...the fact is that in almost every encounter with wide screen /flat screen tvs, the short fat people is the norm .. cafés, restaurants (tvs seem to be obligatory in restaurants here) the said tv stores.. they're trying to sell the dam' things after all...don't they realise anyone with half a brain takes one look and says nice black flat modern keep up with the Jone's but sh*te quality.... they can't all be ' idiots with the remote control'.. Why should I have to be bothered with knowing if what what I am watching is being broadcast in one format or another.. . and if I understand the business of the format 'non linear horizontal trick' I have seen that, where the proportions differ depending on the proximity to the side edges of the screen....equally risible compared to an old telly... There was a time when techno advances equalled quality advances ... now we are being sold the emporer's new clothes.
Hey... what's happening here is we are being sold (for the moment) second rate crapology and some of us are swallowing it ...hook line and sinker... what's new you might say, laser discs mini cds betamax Windows whatever ... who'll have an iPod in five years...
Ho hum back to the wood shavings and turpentine...

jonboy
10-01-2009, 05:28 PM
And another thing , why buy a wide tv to watch a sports event where they aren't short fat people, because there's a black band down each side...shouldn't I just stay with the standard format standard tv ????

jonboy
10-01-2009, 05:33 PM
And ANOTHER thing I've always thought electrostatics looked awful but sound amazing maybe they would go with the flat screen format...( don't you just love 'electrostatics'... all sort of 1950s sci-fi stuff)

paladin
10-01-2009, 07:11 PM
something has changed on the telly?

JBreeze
10-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Don't know if this sort of HDTV/Computer monitor is available is Lisbon, but I bought this 6 months ago:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b21JXHUqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T200HD-20-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B0019HDAP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254441904&sr=1-1

It is a Samsung monitor with a built-in HDTV tuner////available in 20" 22" 24" and 26".

It is my primary computer monitor, but in the rare instances when I want to watch TV, I can get about 20 HDTV stations for free OTA (over the air)....I'm using an exterior home-built antenna that was virtually free ($1 for the balun).

The monitor is great and I caught it on sale, so the price wasn't much more than a regular 20" monitor without a built-in HDTV tuner.

P.S. It has all sorts of connection and jacks for connecting with other devices, too....what the heck is optical audio !!??

willmarsh3
10-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I'd agree that the quality of the picture on an HD TV is better. Instead I got a digital converter box for an ancient 25" television. This has settings for 3:4 or 9:16 letterbox display, etc. The sound and picture is pretty good quality since I'm in the city where the signal is strong.

However I don't find many of the current lineup of shows very interesting; I never really have.

Instead I've gotten more to watching shows on the computer over broadband where I can pick what and when I want to watch them and the commercial time is pretty minimal for now. Hulu has plenty of online episodes. Also Netflix has some of their movies online. Sometimes someone posts movies on youtube for free (probably illegally).

ccmanuals
10-01-2009, 08:15 PM
unless you can get an HD signal everything else is academic. If you can get this signal it's a whole new experience. Watching golf this past weekend I noticed you can almost count the dimples on the golf ball on a green shot.