PDA

View Full Version : Computer question: Saving Threads

ShagRock
10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
What is easiest way to save a WBF thread to a backup file or flash drive? And same question for list of Bookmarks?

Kaa
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
In your browser, select File -> Save As... and save the web page, complete. That will save the current web page which may or may not cover the entire thread.

Kaa

ShagRock
10-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Click on "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread, and select "Show Printable Version."

Highlight all of it and hit CTRL-C.

Open an editor and hit CTRL-V.

Save the file wherever you want to store it.

=====================

What browser do you use?

Mozilla Firefox. Thanks for suggestions..first time I tried that! Just tried it on this thread and that handles it fine!

ShagRock
10-01-2009, 04:16 PM
That's super of you Donn..Thank you!

J. Dillon
10-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Donn ,what about images on a thread ? I would like to save the entire 16 page thread initiated by Paul Pless. This one
http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61697

It has many images, art, cartoons and text. It represents a lot of my time and I hate to see it go poof .:(

Can I down load it to a disk, memory stick or what ?

Thanks

JD

JD

rufustr
10-01-2009, 04:52 PM
You definitely should save that one JD.:cool::D

TimH
10-01-2009, 04:57 PM
GNU Wget

TimH
10-01-2009, 05:24 PM
With Wget you can save the whole site to a local folder - pictures, text, scripts, everything.

ShagRock
10-01-2009, 07:34 PM
With Wget you can save the whole site to a local folder - pictures, text, scripts, everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget

Tim..Have you experienced any problems working with this software..looks like it's free?

ccmanuals
10-01-2009, 08:11 PM
if you are using Vista you can also use the built in sniping tool.

TimH
10-01-2009, 08:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget

Tim..Have you experienced any problems working with this software..looks like it's free?

it works well. I havent seen any problems with it.

Wild Dingo
10-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I think over the years Ive possibly asked this question a gadzillion flamin times but well I'll ask it again!

WHY????? WHY would ANYONE want to save an entire thread from the bilge to there hard drive or thumb drive????... I just dont get it :confused:

Kaa
10-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Donn ,what about images on a thread ? I would like to save the entire 16 page thread initiated by Paul Pless. This one
http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61697

It has many images, art, cartoons and text. It represents a lot of my time and I hate to see it go poof .:(

Use the method from post #2. It saves everything there is. The only thing is that for a 16-page thread you'll have to save 16 files.

Kaa

ShagRock
10-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I think over the years Ive possibly asked this question a gadzillion flamin times but well I'll ask it again!

WHY????? WHY would ANYONE want to save an entire thread from the bilge to there hard drive or thumb drive????... I just dont get it :confused:

It's not for Bilge threads:D.

J. Dillon
10-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm not too computer savy but I tried Donn's method and it did not work.

I tried Kaa's way and it did work . My problem is did it really ? It seems to me that images hosted by another out fit , posted here and loaded on to a card, stick, or disk really save it.

I got off line and displayed the threads on the card did the INTERNET kick in to get the images from the photo host ? :confused:

JD

BTW, I only got up to page 12 as the card was to small to load all 16 pages.

Kaa
10-02-2009, 07:48 PM
I tried Kaa's way and it did work . My problem is did it really ? It seems to me that images hosted by another out fit , posted here and loaded on to a card, stick, or disk really save it.

I got off line and displayed the threads on the card did the INTERNET kick in to get the images from the photo host ? :confused:

Yeah, really really :-)

When you save as "web page, complete", for each web page saved you get multiple files. Specifically, you get one .html file and a folder that's named the same as the file. Inside that folder should be all images, etc. that are on that web page.

Kaa

Garret
10-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi -

Kaa is correct - his method will get all of the pictures to your local disk (in the folder he mentions - one for each page).

A thought or 2 for storage:

1) If you can swing it, buy a larger flash drive. I've seen 2 GB, even 4 GB now available for well under $50.

2) You can compress all the files & folders that you saved on your hard drive & then copy the ".zip" file that compressing creates to the flash drive. This can decrease the total size by more than 50%. The drawback is that if you want to view the pages on another computer, you'd have to copy the zip file to the computer & un-compress it.

How do you do that? Here's what I'd suggest:

1) Create a folder on your hard drive (call it "Thread" or whatever you like).
2) Place all the files & folders you've gotten from saving the thread to that folder - so everything is contained within that one folder
3) Compress that "Thread" folder (right click on it & choose "Send To", then "Compressed Folder".
4) Copy the compressed file (it'll have a name comprised of the folder name + ".zip": "Thread.zip" if you named the folder "Thread") to your flash drive

To view it on another computer:
1) Copy Thread.zip (or whatever you named it) to the hard drive.
2) Open it by double-clicking on it
3) You will then see the original folder. Click on it, right click & choose "Copy".
4) Navigate to wherever you want the folder on this hard drive, right-click & choose "Paste".

It will then expand to the new location & you can delete the .zip on the hard drive when you're done.

One final thought: When you do the save of the web page, it will default to a name like "showthread.php.htm". Before you save it, you can change the name. If you change the name to something meaningful & even more importantly, names that will order alphabetically, it will be easier to view them in the future. At the time of saving is the time to change it, as it will also change the name of the accompanying folder - which needs to have a specific name so the .htm file can find it. For example, If the htm file is "ComputersAreConfusing.htm", the folder will be named "JComputersAreConfusing_Files.

So - save the first page as "Page1.htm", the second as Page2.htm", etc. then they will appear in order when you view them in My Computer.

However, do not change the extension (.htm)! Doing so will render the saved files unusable.

Hope this helps -

Garret

Kaa
10-05-2009, 08:17 PM
1) If you can swing it, buy a larger flash drive. I've seen 2 GB, even 4 GB now available for well under $50.

Newegg sells a lot of 16Gb flash drives for $30 or so.

Kaa

clancy
10-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I just tried this on my Mac using Safari. I did not click on printable view. In Safari ->File ->Print -> PDF ->Save as PDF. I picked a location in Documents and it was automatically labeled. I tried page 2 of the thread and it was automatically labeled as page 2. All images were saved. The PDF files were created in the blink of an eye.

Is there a way to save all of the pages in a thread in one shot?

ShagRock
10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Ditto the question by Clancy...?

I obviously missed the full import of Kaa's post#2 at the time. Thanks you Kaa and to Garret for the giving us the details on storage and transfer options.

I clicked on file..then 'save page as'. I get my usual download window pop-up. In the download window I click the downloaded file and viola..I have 2 files on my active screen..the one I'm looking at on the forum and the downloaded file. Thanks for that.

The 'save page as' shows 'showthread.php' only..I changed it to 'showthreadCOM1.php'...to stand for page 1 of this thread. So page2 I would add in COM2.

In an options window in the 'save page as' there are 4 options for saving: 1) web page complete (default option) 2) web page HTML only 3) text files and 4) all files.

What is difference between choices 1 and 4 in terms of what is saved?

Garret
10-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Ditto the question by Clancy...?

I obviously missed the full import of Kaa's post#2 at the time. Thanks you Kaa and to Garret for the giving us the details on storage and transfer options.

I clicked on file..then 'save page as'. I get my usual download window pop-up. In the download window I click the downloaded file and viola..I have 2 files on my active screen..the one I'm looking at on the forum and the downloaded file. Thanks for that.

The 'save page as' shows 'showthread.php' only..I changed it to 'showthreadCOM1.php'...to stand for page 1 of this thread. So page2 I would add in COM2.

In an options window in the 'save page as' there are 4 options for saving: 1) web page complete (default option) 2) web page HTML only 3) text files and 4) all files.

What is difference between choices 1 and 4 in terms of what is saved?

Hi -

You're welcome.

"All Files" really doesn't belong there in this case, but it's a part of the Windows "Save As" standard.

All Files is used when you want to change the extension (.htm in this case) - as it lets you save the file with any extension. Do not do that - you need to keep the "htm" - although some pages may be "html" which is also OK. IOW- always save as .htm or .html - whichever it first comes up with.

By the way - you say you are saving as "showthreadcom1.php' - I hope there's a ".htm" at the end! If not, it won't work. Also - you don't need the ".php" - although it doesn't hurt to leave it in there.

Hope that helps -

Garret

ShagRock
10-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Hey Garret..Thanks again! I guess if one only wanted the text parts, one could choose that. I note that seems to be similar to searching a WB forum topic on Google and it comes up text only with an option on the WB page to view it as full in which case images and all are shown.

I didn't add an htm..do you think it's automatic with 'complete file' default? The whole file showed, but I haven't tried it yet with a file containing images..will try that and see what happens.

I just had a brainwave (well a little one:D) while you were responding and maybe (?) this applies to Clancy's question.

One can copy a web link location or [IMG] link from a webpage into a word processing program, and then copy it from that program into your forum post, and it works the same as going directly from the web page to the forum page.

So, I tried selecting (high lighting) a 3-page thread and it saved all the pages in one file! One solution, you think?

Garret
10-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey Garret..Thanks again! I guess if one only wanted the text parts, one could choose that. I note that seems to be similar to searching a WB forum topic on Google and it comes up text only with an option on the WB page to view it as full in which case images and all are shown.

I didn't add an htm..do you think it's automatic with 'complete file' default? The whole file showed, but I haven't tried it yet with a file containing images..will try that and see what happens.

I just had a brainwave (well a little one:D) while you were responding and maybe (?) this applies to Clancy's question.

One can copy a web link location or [IMG] link from a webpage into a word processing program, and then copy it from that program into your forum post, and it works the same as going directly from the web page to the forum page.

So, I tried selecting (high lighting) a 3-page thread and it saved all the pages in one file! One solution, you think?

OK - I'm just a geek what writes software & my users will often say "Hey, that's cool how your program does XYZ". I smile & say "Glad you like it" & then rush home to see if it really does that!

So - you've got me interested - but confused.

You copy a link, paste it into a document, then paste another & somehow open both at once?

Can you try explaining it again? My little brain isn't getting it.

Thanks -

Garret

ShagRock
10-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Well, I have been known to confuse myself too:D!

Three points..I'll try and separate:
1) following your and Kaa's help, I was able to download page 1 of a WB thread, 'showthread.php without adding the htm extension and it worked..I could click on the file in the download window or in my Documents and have both files..original and new..switch back and forth between the two.

2) I was thinking of Clancy's query as to saving say a 3-page thread. I knew that one can save a copy a [IMG] link from say Photobucket, paste it to Word, and copy it from Word to WB forum and it works.

3) So this led me to try highlighting a 3-page thread in WB forum and saving it to a file and all was transferred and saved as one file. It was a Bilge file with no images in it..

I will try this with a file that has images or links in it and see if the images and links transfer as workable in the new file.

Garret
10-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Well, I have been known to confuse myself too:D!

Three points..I'll try and separate:
1) following your and Kaa's help, I was able to download page 1 of a WB thread, 'showthread.php without adding the htm extension and it worked..I could click on the file in the download window or in my Documents and have both files..original and new..switch back and forth between the two.

2) I was thinking of Clancy's query as to saving say a 3-page thread. I knew that one can save a copy a [IMG] link from say Photobucket, paste it to Word, and copy it from Word to WB forum and it works.

3) So this led me to try highlighting a 3-page thread in WB forum and saving it to a file and all was transferred and saved as one file. It was a Bilge file with no images in it..

I will try this with a file that has images or links in it and see if the images and links transfer as workable in the new file.

OK - but you don't need to help confuse me!:p

1) Do you have "known file extensions hidden"? I bet you'll find that there is an htm extension. Unless you have PHP & a web server installed - you can't run PHP files.

2 & 3) I'd be interested to hear a step by step example if you can do that. Not saying you can't - just saying I'd like to know how.

Good luck!

Michael Beckman
10-05-2009, 10:53 PM
On the page you wantto save press CTRL+ S, or go to File -> Save page as.

Make sure that the Save as type is set to Website, Complete. That will save an exact copy of the page to your hard drive.

I haven't found a way to automate the process for multipage threads, but I'd be surprised if someone hasn't made a firefox extension to do so.

ShagRock
10-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Garret - I don't know how to find anything that's "hidden" on a computer:D. My 12 yr-old niece gave herself an account on my laptop, thereby accidentally hiding mine...I had to get my friend to ferret it out for me!

Michael..I think the 'complete' option is the default one in my 'save page as'. Maybe you're onto something in that I use Mozilla Firefox..they're regularly add new things. By the way, I just highlighted (selected by holding down mouse) a second 3-page thread (if you scroll down with the mouse while high-lighting it will go all the way to the end of the thread..unless you decide to stop at a certain point). Then 'save page as' saves all 3 pages together..I'm assuming when you do this it treats the 3 highlighted pages as 1 page.

Michael Beckman
10-05-2009, 11:17 PM
I tried your method there, it doesn't work for me.

Make sure to check the url. If it reads something like: file:///C:/Users/Michael/Desktop/showthread.php.htm than you know its a local file. If you click to the 2nd page in the thread, the url changes to something like http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103325. This means you're back on the internet again.

Michael Beckman
10-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I've found a sort of solution.

Install the firefox addon Greasemonkey (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748)

Install the Greasemonkey script Endless VBulletin Forum Pages (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/3972)

Now, when you scroll to the end of a thread the next page will automatically be added to the bottom of the page. I just tested this, and was able to save a 6 page thread easily.

ShagRock
10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
OK Michael..you got the answer! I checked my file by opening the saved file and it shows the .htm extension in my browser so I guess it's done auto without me having to type in the extension. I had earlier tried opening it in MS Word..which it did..which also means it is a local file on my hard drive.

I'm assuming that the Grease Monkey, slipped onto my system:D, when I updated to latest version of Firefox.

Just one difference I see. When I go to that item in 'open file', I noticed there were actually 2 files..one being the document which I can open, and a 2nd which contains only a 'list of files'. I'm not sure what that implies? But it works!

Garret
10-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Just one difference I see. When I go to that item in 'open file', I noticed there were actually 2 files..one being the document which I can open, and a 2nd which contains only a 'list of files'. I'm not sure what that implies? But it works!

Web Page complete saves 2 things: the page itself (the file that ends in ".htm") and a folder that contains all the images & other stuff.

So - for each page you save, you get (if you saved as "WebPage":

WebPage.htm
WebPage_Files (folder)

Inside WebPage_Files, you'll see every image that WebPage.htm uses plus a whole lotta geek stuff: javascript, images to create the banner, etc. etc. All you need to know is: Don't mess with the contents of it! ;)

That help?

Garret