PDA

View Full Version : $1500 Challenge

botebum
10-01-2009, 12:16 PM
This oughta' be fun.
My house needs help.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Ash%20House/0022.jpg
Staying within a $1500 limit, not including a much needed paint job, give me a new look for the front of my house. Use Photoshop if you are able. Extra points if you can beat the budget;).
Notes-
1.The big blank spot between the porch and the window to the right can have a window.
2.I'd like to stay with the pale yellow body color. Trim it to work with that.
3.The bump-out to the right is part of the kitchen so the windows cannot be enlarged.
4.Put a lot of thought into the porch railings and. front door. I can build both from scratch so lumber cost is the only consideration.
5.Extending the front porch all the way across the the house would be nice but I don't see it fitting in the budget. You can, however, suit your design so this can be a future option. I'd eventually like to do it.
6.Include low maintainance landscaping if you like. Keep in mind that I live in southeastern NC so Blue Spruce is not an option and I don't like palms in my yard.
7.Above all- keep the $1500 budget in mind. I can have impossible dreams all by myself.
8. The house doesn't really lean to the right like that ... I lean to the left:rolleyes:

Be creative and have fun!

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah- You won't win anything.

Doug

Paul Pless
10-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh yeah- You won't win anything.

Dougin that case... a privacy fence would be cheaper than a hedge:p

botebum
10-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Try to get into the spirit of it Paul.

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks Norman. Coupla' things-
Those aren't shrubs. Those are weeds:o My wacker is broken. There's a couple roses in there but they can be moved. I'd really like to change the railing and I was thinking of going craftsman style and keeping the rafter ends open for the same reason. I can do a lot with the style of the porch because it only supports the porch part of the roof. Just support it and rebuild under. Pretty easy really.

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 12:59 PM
This is what constitutes the porch connection-
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Ash%20House/001-1.jpg

Doug

LeeG
10-01-2009, 01:08 PM
paint everything,,then paint a vine and bright 3' lizard around the small right side window and a 6' butterfly on the roof above the lizard.

On the far left side of the house a cameo cut out of a boy about 15' tall climbing on the roof.

Michael s/v Sannyasin
10-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Well, since I won't win anything anyways, I don't have to follow the rules either!

I doubt this is going to fit in your budget, but a wrap-around deck is what that house needs...

HTTP://WWW.greatsoftware.net/sailing/0023.jpg

(ps, computer with photoshop is out of commission, so, this was the best C/P I could do).

Or, you might consider putting one of these around back...

http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/hottubs/wet_deck_hot_tub.jpg

Robert L.
10-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Just me, but first I would pop up into that attic, level up that ridge line and sister those 2x4 rafters. Then peel off and replace the shingles and re-gutter the eves.

As a radio commercial I hear a lot says "everything you call home is under the roof". Also it is amazing how a new roof really stands out in making a place look nice.

While you are doing the sistering of the rafters you could pretty easily sink a few holes in the ground, cast a few post footings and extend the porch roofline across the front of the house on the posts. Do the porch deck, railings, and windows next year.

botebum
10-01-2009, 01:22 PM
BTW- The pots that no longer have living plants will be removed/replaced. It's always been my theory that plants cannot survive in a home where there is no love. The plants have been half dead for a while now. Time to fix that. If the right plants can attract the right visitors then, too, the right look on a home can attract the same.
The house needs to look loved as much as lived in(more of one and less of the other the way it is now). It needs to be light maintainance because of my lifestyle of working out of town. It needs to welcome people and me to it's door.

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Budget!, Budget!, Budget!
Folks! I'm hoping to tear this house down or sell it and have it moved away within ten years. I want to build a new home on the same property at that time. Keep within the budget please. I just need to gild the lily for a few years.

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Actually Norman, the house never had fascia. This house was built in 1950 by a family of farmers. I may be the first carpenter(that's a matter of opinion) to ever set foot in it. It was moved here by that same family in 1957 from its original site. It's a hodge podge of design ideas by the owners and their "all-knowing" relatives. I consider it a blank slate for my own ideas and am hoping that some here(you've made some great suggestions) can assist me. As said, budget is a major concern. I don't plan on keeping this house indefinately and when I get rid of it, I do plan on keeping the land for a new home.
Maybe I should have titled the thread "Gild the Lily";)

Doug

ron ll
10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Actually, I AM an architect and you've already blown your budget on my fee retainer. :D :D

bobbys
10-01-2009, 01:55 PM
OK i still connections in jersey that are experts with this sorta thing, And it will not be anywhere near 1500, We call it, Fill in the ethnic race of your choice Lighting.

LOL.

Ok just kidding im not a fan of yellow but it looks good with black trim on the windows, I notice there's no fascia or gutters, Perhaps your gutters fill up to fast but a black fascia would look better, Maybe shutters on that window to fill in a bit

bobbys
10-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Im on my way in my 79 cordoba , If we set this puppy up on blocks it would enhance the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjXswE4AarQ&feature=related

Peerie Maa
10-01-2009, 02:34 PM
That chimney stack looks unfinished. A couple of courses of brick should do it.
http://www.apexbrickcutters.co.uk/imgs/chimneys.gif

botebum
10-01-2009, 02:40 PM
The chimney is held together by gravity, is connected to nothing and has to come down.
Maybe many of you missed it but when I said "have fun" I also said "be creative". From a bunch of guys that can see a bright finished mahoghany launch hiding in a pile of rotted pine under a veritable jungle of vines ... I'm disappointed:(

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Seriously Doug, that house absolutely needs a fascia on the rafter tails. You don't need a soffit, but the roof looks like it's shingles on cardboard. A fascia board with a drip edge molding will straighten out the edge line, and give the roof the appearance of some substance.

I would try to get rid of the post in front of the picture window - looks like an afterthought. Maybe three tapered posts on piers?

I sure wouldn't spend $300.00 on shrubs, either. Crepe Myrtle should grow around those parts, no?Well that's saved from the basket. I'll work on answering it;)

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Here's something I was thinking about- Instead of a "full fascia", how about a short or partial fascia, say a 1"x2" or 1"x3" and still expose the ends. It would beef up the look of the roof and still expose the rafter ends. Adding to that- how about boxing the rafter ends to beef them up at the same time?
Anybody good at Photoshop to put some of these ideas on "paper"?

Doug

Milo Christensen
10-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Doug: If you spend $1500 on energy star stuff - doors, windows, insulation, etc. you could claim a $1500 tax credit and use that money for the "curb appeal" stuff. I'm still just a little p.o.ed that I bought an energy star doorwall last November for $1500 and couldn't claim the credit because it had expired, then the credit was reinstituted just after I bought the window. Besides, the first $1500 will save you money over the long haul.

botebum
10-01-2009, 03:03 PM
How about some front door ideas that I can build myself? Oh- no room for sidelites:(

Doug

Peerie Maa
10-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Have fun he said.
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2007/02/28/fire460.jpg

botebum
10-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks Milo. Any windows will be qualifiyable and all improvements are tax deductable whereas maintainance is not.

Doug

rbgarr
10-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Impress the neighbors:

http://i34.tinypic.com/2epmtxy.jpg

Peerie Maa
10-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Impress the neighbors:

http://i34.tinypic.com/2epmtxy.jpg

Or scare the cr#p out of them http://www.tips4poker.com/images/collusion.jpg:D

botebum
10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Donn, the front faces southeast(close enough around here). The roses need to be moved at some point and can be moved back or elsewhere as the plan evolves. Tall grasses(here anyway) tend to look like unattended areas and promote snakes and spiders. I do need to do something to hide the foundation as it is one of the many unappealing aspects of the house. I was thinking some type of box hedge to follow the squareness of the house and to keep things looking uniform. Your thoughts?

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 03:22 PM
peerie maa and rbgarr- of all the creative things you could possibly come up with ... that's it? Pathetic:(

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Here's an example of tapered posts on piers. Also has the partial fascia with exposed tails:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/fredz859/WoodenBoat/BriarwoodCraftsmanAelev.jpgGotta' quote it to refer to it in your case Fred:rolleyes:
That might work. I'm not sure the tapered columns would work out though with the scale of my house and the low pitched roof.

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 03:40 PM
What do you guys think of adding the window and bigger/wider window trim all the way across in a contrasting color? What color with the pale yellow?

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Can someone Photoshop these ideas? I'm no good with it.

Doug

bobbys
10-01-2009, 03:47 PM
What do you guys think of adding the window and bigger/wider window trim all the way across in a contrasting color? What color with the pale yellow?

Doug.

BLACK!!.

I see a yellow house and i want the trim painted Black.

I wanna paint it paint it black!!!.

Insert Keiths screaming guitar here.:D

botebum
10-01-2009, 03:56 PM
You may be right. In any case, the picture shows rather heavy posts. I was going for a bungalow look, and the posts don't have to be that heavy:
http://images.tenant.com/listings/0000/0002/2869/0000/0221/9759/2219759_1.jpgMy mind didn't even consider scaling down the columns:rolleyes: Great idea and keeps with the Craftsman idea!

Donn, I hadn't thought about the failure of individual plants in a boxwood hedge but you reminded me that I've seen it before and it never looks right ... especially when the neighbor kids think it's a path and kill anything you try to replace there.

bobbys- got it- BLACK! Any other suggestions?:D

Doug

Jim Ledger
10-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Why the sudden fix-up?

It'd of been me, I'd have been knocking the hell out of that place from Day One.

But, that's just me.

botebum
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Yep, add a window. How about green shutters (hunter green-like) instead of the bigger/wider trim?Hunter-Green is good and it's not BLACK!:D I hadn't even thought of shutters ... another good idea! Thanks!

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Jim- Suddenly I'm living alone. No wife to comply with and the young'un is only here part time so living in a construction site is not such an issue and I NEED a project that I can afford to keep me steady. I've been waiting for you to show up. Get with the ideas!

Doug

2MeterTroll
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Well you can do it well, fast or cheap,

cheap is to go out and scrounge the materials you need for a wrap around porch. they are always tearing down houses so you could if you asked get enough lumber to build the porch. if you wanted some substance you can get bricks for free (folks will even bring then to you)

I would start with the porches and window, then strip all the paint off the house and find a nice REAL color to paint it. run away from the realitors Blaa neutral and put the color on the house that will look good on the house.

Robert L.
10-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Looking at costs:

It looks like those toothpick rafters are 2x4s and I am guessing we are looking at a 32’ by 20’ roof (640 square feet), plus 16’ by 8’ (128 square feet) to continue the porch. Plus maybe another 100 square for the kitchen bump-out, total about 868 square feet, say 900 rounded up. I am also rounding material costs up so I don’t have to count nails etc.

Sister rafters: 40 - 10’ 2x4 @ $2.50 = $90.00
Additional porch rafters: 10 – 8’ studs @ $2.00 = $20.00
Extra studs for the bump out etc if needed: 10 – 8’ studs @ $2.00 = $20.00
Posts to support additional porch roof: 4 – 10ft 4”x4” @$13.00 = $52.00
Concrete mix for post footings: 6 bags @ $4.00 = $24.00
Sheathing for porch: 4 sheets 4’x8’ What ever thickness needed to match existing $10 to $15 per sheet = $60
#30lb felt: 3 rolls @ $21.00 = $63.00
Asphalt shingles: 28 bundles @ $17.00 = $476.00

Total = $805.00

These prices are rounded up for wiggle room. If I am wrong about the rafters and they are 2x6 then just add about 80 cents per stick. But this still gives you room for plastic gutters, an inexpensive window as well as fasteners, caulk, roofing tar etc. I bet you could actually finish out that porch and paint the place too if you shopped carefully. Most areas have used building materials yards, Habitat For Humanity outlets etc. Shingles don’t have to match. They can be mixed for a shadowed look, or one color on the front side other on the back side. It would be easier to find on Google Earth. Even Home Depot usually has buckets of paint that came out the wrong color available cheap.

Think of it this way, if it were a rotted out old lapstrake rowboat and you asked peoples opinions about covering it in plastic to make it look better, most everybody here would have a cow and encourage you to fix it up right. That rowboat would probably cost you a ton more money and time than fixing this house. Don’t put makeup on a pig, fix the place, it won’t cost you any more than the cosmetic surgery and it will be more valuable down the road.

Then instead of building a new house build a nice big shop to build boats in.

Mrleft8
10-01-2009, 04:36 PM
A fine lookin' woman on the front porch hulling lima beans and watching the pork that's in the smoker would go a long way..... ;)

Jim Ledger
10-01-2009, 04:46 PM
A fine lookin' woman on the front porch hulling lima beans and watching the pork that's in the smoker would go a long way..... ;)

Or a Gawdawmighty eighteen wheeler Kenworth parked in front.

LeeG
10-01-2009, 04:53 PM
ok, leave the 15' sillohuete out of the plan.

2MeterTroll
10-01-2009, 05:03 PM
This oughta' be fun.
My house needs help.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Ash%20House/0022.jpg

Doug

I keep looking at the house and where you live and thinking you would do well to have insulation and thermal mass. your house looks like it is on a frying pan.
since we are not supposed to talk over much about our personal work. and so far i have kept shy of saying much about mine.

would it be ok if i made some suggestions that come from my work folks?

botebum
10-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Since I last posted I've torn down most of the chimney(10 minutes, pictures to come). Left enough to keep rain from flowing in. Had my computer take a dump. Been put off by my wife yet again(I really need this project) and been worried about my youngest step-daughter that was in labor at 30 weeks(she's ok, the baby's ok and I REALLY NEED THIS PROJECT!)

Doug

botebum
10-01-2009, 05:10 PM
would it be ok if i made some suggestions that come from my work folks?Suggestions are always fine unless it includes blowing up my house. I love to learn even though I can't afford some of the things that would "save me a bundle".

Doug

2MeterTroll
10-01-2009, 05:42 PM
OK
you dont have much money and you need a project so here go's if some one has a problem with me putting this stuff up let me know.

the porch is a good idea RobertL gave you a rough price idea. the window IMO is the first thing that should be done. the porch will give you shade and cut down on AC use. for the walls I would use an earthen plaster. its going to help stablize the temp inside the house and keep the wood at the proper moisture levels without causing rot. (mind i said an earthen plaster not cement. dont use cement if you can help it for plasters it wicks moisture and will accelerate rot) you can use the same pigments used to color cement, in earthen plasters. i assume your clay is the red stuff found in the area. so anything in the brick red to chocolate will be possible.

fyou dont need a hedge. its just going to take maint to keep it looking nice and you will have to keep at it. if you are looking for privacy and attraction a cob wall would serve you better and the thermal mass would slow the changes in temp inside the walls. (think micro climates) As long as you have a roof over the wall that keeps the rain off it will look good and your plaster will stay in pretty good repair for several years. the cob walls dont have to be straight so you could do some interesting things with curves that would make your yard look less like a boweling ally. so i am going to put some links here. several of then are from projects i designed or helped build and a couple will be from folks who i know that do great work. hope it helps.

earthen plasters:http://cdn.content.compendiumblog.com/uploads/user/d741c03c-09e5-48e2-8b62-05ae85ffc63d/5359811a-5863-4e70-a91a-37d3f2c3b2dd/Image/d712fa4601e9857a314aa7073752ec99.jpg

this is an earth plaster on the inside of a conventional stick frame. works the same on the out side. http://i.treehugger.com/american-clay-earth-plaster.jpg

this is a nice wall that shows some curves and the typical roof :http://www.yestermorrow.org/images/footprint/cobwall.jpg

here is another that is rather nice if i do say so my self :http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__8dbxhS6eos/SKtPLqWBBWI/AAAAAAAAACI/m3k5LkMjO8U/s320/cob+cottage+new+garden+wall.jpg

if you have some questions PM me. its also easy to look up cob projects and such these days. take a look around and see what is there. most of this building takes time and work but very little money.

switters
10-01-2009, 05:52 PM
double doors where the large window is currently located.

remove existing front door and add small window.

take large window removed for new door installation and reinstall to the right of the new double doors.

cover rafter ends.

wrap around porch as already noted, columns will look more balanced on the new porch with larger door closer to center.

Thats about $1500 and a totally new look because you are reusing.

Being color blind I would like to help with paint colors but all I ever come up with is light blue and white, think geranimals.

left over money? say yes to building shutters, makes a huge difference.

JBreeze
10-01-2009, 06:53 PM
If you don't want to put in another window to the right of the porch, consider an amish star or some other type of sculpture:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4616232/87171-main_Thumb.jpg

You could probably make one with plywood and some fiberglass and epoxy and paint to make it weatherproof and to color coordinate it.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4616232_meaning-decorative-star-homes.html

Wild Dingo
10-01-2009, 06:53 PM
mmmm eerrr no Gareth

Doug... you know what I think?... do what I did!!

Give it a lick of paint all round tidy up the yards give the shed a bit of a tidy round maybe throw a facia board up... but generally give it a "new look" as cheep as possible then whack it on the market get what you can and just leave

Okay now I know the little ones are little which was different to my situation and its always hard as hell in these situations... but staying there? dont do it... will simply keep returning to tear you apart... tell the nippers you LOVE THEM no matter what but daddy needs to go away for a little while but he WILL BE BACK SOON... go for a nice holiday somewhere (work a GOOD budget to do this) then come back have a good think about where YOU want to live if its nearby great go find a nice house and buy it... if its up the track a bit great find a house and buy it... But go away for a time mate doesnt have to be for say as long as I went but for a time somewhere TOTALLY different where there are NONE of the reminders.

The house? well it needs work as you know... do you honestly think by keeping busy it will stop what your feeling or whats happening? believe me it wont!... theres an old saying I had plastered over my place before I sold it

"If you keep doing and thinking the same shyte
You will keep getting the same crap"

Change!!! Change how you live where you live and what you do... With the missus its pretty fresh still mate it gets worse then it sorta smooths out... if you move!

Its taken near on to 2 years for my life to START to turn around and Ive changed almost every aspect of it... where I live what I do and how I think and mate? I couldnt have done that by staying in the "family home"... staying and doing some basic "coverup" work doesnt do it mate... I painted the entire damned house in 2 days frantic work to make a change to it did some work on the outside and you know something Doug... didnt change a bloody thing it just looked a bit better but it was the same damned house with the same damned memories

Sorry just my view mate