PDA

View Full Version : A rapid fire world

ishmael
09-29-2009, 07:54 PM
I was just going through some of the news sites, and it occurred to how much the internet has changed the news and the world. People are much more hurried and harried than say during my parent's generation. They read their morning paper, sometimes, and watched Cronkite or Brinkley in the evening.

Now you can catch anything and everything 24/7.

I'm not saying it is necessarily bad, but it does seem a bit of a leap for the human frame. To constantly know about things you have no control over seems like it could be bad for the heart and mind.

Uncle Duke
09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Or perhaps it is invigorating and exciting to be able to be more closely in touch with the world as it happens.

Upnorth1
09-29-2009, 08:09 PM
I was just going through some of the news sites, and it occurred to how much the internet has changed the news and the world. People are much more hurried and harried than say during my parent's generation. They read their morning paper, sometimes, and watched Cronkite or Brinkley in the evening.

You can still do your news any way you want. No one's making anyone read it.

LeeG
09-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Last week I was reading my mothers and fathers letters to home in '49-'51 when they lived in Saudi Arabia. They were discussing the problems in Iran, the religious studies classes they'd started, the string quartet practice and theater group they were a part of and the refugee problem from Palestine.

Life is as hectic or bucolic as you need it to be. Why not create an imaginary future as real as the past you imagine?

Keith Wilson
09-29-2009, 09:36 PM
The net is how you use it; the essential point is that you have control. On thing is that it's a hell of a lot easier to research things in moderate depth now. One minor example; George mentioned the War of the Triple Alliance and Francisco Solano Lopez, something I'd read about maybe twenty years ago and wasn't sure I remembered correctly. Three minutes with Google, and I knew I had the basics right. Going to the encyclopedia or a history book would have had to wait a couple of hours until I got home, going to the library even longer - and I probably wouldn't have bothered. Serious research is almost as hard as it ever was, but its a lot easier to check facts. Its a pity more people haven't figured that out.