PDA

View Full Version : hunting season is coming up...

Phillip Allen
09-28-2009, 10:02 AM
I'll be out in the woods getting fence ready for horses and likely to see deer...I wonder if I would be doing the deer a favor to cary a revolver with shot shells and blast in their general direction to get them spooky ahead of the season. right now they will stand and watch me...

switters
09-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Dont know if that is necessary, the elk around here have evolved the uncanny ability to read a calendar, and know which private property to hang out on until December.

Paul Pless
09-28-2009, 10:23 AM
hunting season is coming up...I find myself living in a house that straddles a major game trail - as our house is one of only three nearby that is bordered on both sides by large state park wildlife refuge areas.:) So my dilemna... I've always been a rifle hunter (for deer at least) For the last 20 years using single shot medium and light caliber rifles. Well... that's illegal in Michigan, I gots to hunt with either a shotgun (i think rifled slug barrels are legal) or muzzle loader. I'm thinking muzzle loader may be the way to go.

Phillip Allen
09-28-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't mind a deer or two being taking off this property but my own son and his sons think it's spiritual to kill a bunch each and I think too many

I'd even like to take one but can't do it unless they don't take my share first...I can't seem to teach them any manners

Leon m
09-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I'd even like to take one but can't do it unless they don't take my share first...I can't seem to teach them any manners

Lay down the law ! It's your property, manage it how you see fit.

Phillip Allen
09-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Lay down the law ! It's your property, manage it how you see fit.

not my property...was once...now it's the ex's. I love that place and can have the run of it but can remember when there were NOT any deer...the kids think they've always been there and always will...won't listen

Leon m
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
.I wonder if I would be doing the deer a favor to cary a revolver with shot shells and blast in their general direction to get them spooky ahead of the season..

Maybe you could try this on the kids ;) Maybe then they'll listen :D

Here's an ol trick I used to use on unwanted hunters...Find out where they'll be sitting on opening morning. The night before drink a whole lot of your favorite beverage till your bladder can't take any more. Then go pay a visit to their deer stands...a squirt about a hundred yards on either side will keep the deer away from them... all they'll be saying all weekend is "I can't believe I aint seeing any deer, where'd all the deer go this year"? Then you can say...Ya musta shot em all ;).

Phillip Allen
09-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Maybe you could try this on the kids ;) Maybe then they'll listen :D

Here's an ol trick I used to use on unwanted hunters...Find out where they'll be sitting on opening morning. The night before drink a whole lot of your favorite beverage till your bladder can't take any more. Then go pay a visit to their deer stands...a squirt about a hundred yards on either side will keep the deer away from them... all they'll be saying all weekend is "I can't believe I aint seeing any deer, where'd all the deer go this year"? Then you can say...Ya musta shot em all ;).

been there, done that...:)

Iceboy
09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Leon, you must have some strange deer in your parts of Wisconsin. Now a lot of folks think that peeing near a stand will ruin it for the year. Perhaps in some places it will make a difference but not much. I make my own scrapes all the time. Just brush down to dirt and take a pee. My game cameras tell me that deer don't mind it a bit. In fact during the rut I have bucks actually freshening my scrapes for me. If you are not seeing deer after peeing, I suspect it is because of poor odor control after being around dogs or cats. Pee just doesn't bother them.