PDA

View Full Version : Who did the Germans just elect?

Tom Galyen
09-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh, yes a Conservative? Now I wonder why they would do that?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_elections

Now, is a German conservative the same as an American Conservative? Enquiring minds want to know. :) :)

Keith Wilson
09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Now, is a German conservative the same as an American Conservative? Enquiring minds want to know.No. Closer to a moderate American liberal, actually. Ms. Merkel's OK.

paladin
09-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Good Grief...I though you was gonna say Adolph's nephew......:(

seanz
09-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Oh, yes a Conservative? Now I wonder why they would do that?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_elections

Now, is a German conservative the same as an American Conservative? Enquiring minds want to know. :) :)

Not so different......you do realize Obama is a conservative, don't you?
;):D

PeterSibley
09-27-2009, 05:38 PM
American conservatives roughly equate to Attila the Hun in most of the rest of the Western world .Our conservatives are your liberal bleeding hearts .:D

PeterSibley
09-27-2009, 07:07 PM
It's not just Ozzies and Kiwis Donn ,the world knows them by their works .

seanz
09-27-2009, 07:07 PM
It cracks me up when Aussies and Kiwis define American Conservatives.

Judging from the last few years or so, you do need outside help.

:)

PeterSibley
09-27-2009, 07:14 PM
I wonder if ,in the corporate spirit , they've considered outsourcing management ? :D

Oz is certainly doing much better in this little downturn ...all the banks are fine , steady growth etc .

skuthorp
09-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I wonder if ,in the corporate spirit , they've considered outsourcing management ? :D

Oz is certainly doing much better in this little downturn ...all the banks are fine , steady growth etc .

All the banks deposits are still govt garanteed Peter, there's no risk in banking in Aus these days, and as for 'competition'...............
It'll be a fine political performance when the garantees end, but the US is not out of the financial woods yet, so I reckon the y'll be kept on till after ther next election.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-27-2009, 07:42 PM
The Germans just re-elected Angela Merkel but in coalition with the Free Democrats not the Social Democrats

I think she has some explaining to do to the European Commission over her "rescue" of Opel and I trust the Commission will take firm action.

In case you have not followed this twist in the GM saga, Merkel arranged to finance a Canadian and Russian take over of the European operations of GM using soft loans from the German taxpayer on the basis that German jobs would not be lost - all job losses will be elsewhere in Europe. GM were not allowed to buy their own business back and have to see their technology being given to Russia's largest automaker on a plate.

Frankly, Merkel stinks to High Heaven.

skuthorp
09-27-2009, 07:44 PM
"Frankly, Merkel stinks to High Heaven."
Ex East Germany isn't she?

JimD
09-27-2009, 07:46 PM
At least they didn't elect a Kenyan.

PeterSibley
09-27-2009, 07:51 PM
All the banks deposits are still govt garanteed Peter, there's no risk in banking in Aus these days, and as for 'competition'...............
It'll be a fine political performance when the garantees end, but the US is not out of the financial woods yet, so I reckon the y'll be kept on till after ther next election.
Jeff ,once one bank anywhere has a state guarantee , every other bank as to have one too .To do otherwise is to ensure a run and collapse , not matter what their balance sheet .

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-28-2009, 03:52 AM
My post was a bit intemperate but her handling of Opel looks like

(a) electioneering with taxpayers money

and

(b) a clear breach of EU Rules

and

(c) "a bit rich" considering the "handbagging" that she has been dishing out to Britain and the USA for the bank bail outs.

Not now one of my favourite European politicians!

PeterSibley
09-28-2009, 04:07 AM
She sounds like a successful politician playing to the home crowd Andrew .

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Undoubtedly, Peter (though I look forward to Martin's and Henning's comments should they choose to make any).

It has often been said that she resembles Margaret Thatcher!

My whinge is a Euro-specific one; she seems to have breached EU rules in pursuit of re-election in the case of Opel - that Opel have too many car plants in Europe is beyond doubt; the effect of what she has done is to ensure that the closures that Magna will implement will all be outside Germany, regardless of economic merit, and to give Russia's second largest car maker free access to current GM technology.

PeterSibley
09-28-2009, 04:28 AM
Yes , definitely Thatcher .IIRC she won the odd election ?:rolleyes:

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Yes, and she also abused the EU system in order to do so! ;)

martin schulz
09-28-2009, 05:33 AM
...Merkel arranged to finance a Canadian and Russian take over of the European operations of GM using soft loans from the German taxpayer on the basis that German jobs would not be lost - all job losses will be elsewhere in Europe.

You know how it is...who pays for the party decided on the music ;-)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-28-2009, 05:38 AM
You know how it is...who pays for the party decided on the music ;-)

Yes, but "The German Trades Union Movement" chose the music and "The German Taxpayer" will be paying the bill! ;)

martin schulz
09-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Yes, and she also abused the EU system in order to do so! ;)

In the same way Britain still insists on paying less for the EU (a settlement Thatcher put in place when the UK was going through a recession in the 80s) although the financial situation is not the same it was 1980?

Right now Germany is the country putting more money into EU than anybody else.

As for the election:

The christian-conservatives lost votes because of their amateurish handling of the economic crisis, but the social-democrats who were in a coalition with them were punished even more. The frustrated voters of the christian-conservatives voted for the liberal-democrats (a party devoted to liberalise the market - just what we need :( ) who are now able to form a coalition with the christian-conservatives.

So Merkel stays in power and is probably much happier with the liberal-democrats who won't create as much trouble as the social-democrats did before. On the other hand Merkel has just started to position her party, the christian-conservatives as party "in the middle", but the liberal-democrats are more in favour of pleasing the industrialists. This includes letting the energy-companies run their nuclear-plants much longer, although the shut-down of the plants was already agreed on 10 years ago.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Told you she is just like Thatcher! :D

I reckon she is a lucky politician, Martin - I think those nuclear plants will be around long enough to look "green" (even if they never look "Green") and she will pocket the benefit of having preserved them! ;)

martin schulz
09-28-2009, 06:32 AM
I reckon she is a lucky politician, Martin - I think those nuclear plants will be around long enough to look "green" (even if they never look "Green") and she will pocket the benefit of having preserved them! ;)

Yep - right now she is cashing in on Germanys "green-energy" advance (you know windmills and all that), although her party has done almost everything in their power to hinder this in the past and were more in favour of constructing new nuclear plants (heavily subsided).

ingo
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
The Germans just re-elected Angela Merkel but in coalition with the Free Democrats not the Social Democrats

I think she has some explaining to do to the European Commission over her "rescue" of Opel and I trust the Commission will take firm action.

In case you have not followed this twist in the GM saga, Merkel arranged to finance a Canadian and Russian take over of the European operations of GM using soft loans from the German taxpayer on the basis that German jobs would not be lost - all job losses will be elsewhere in Europe. GM were not allowed to buy their own business back and have to see their technology being given to Russia's largest automaker on a plate.

Frankly, Merkel stinks to High Heaven.

That is not true. Opel will lose about 4000 jobs in Germany. What is not so bad for VW, Mercedes, BMW and Porsche...