PDA

View Full Version : Seam Compound

Old_Curmudgeon
07-09-2002, 01:39 PM
This is an old question, but I'd like to see if any of you have recent expeience.

The question is: Have you used (or known anyone who has) Slick Seam as an exclusive seam compound for carvel construction.

If I may ask a second question: How do I know when underwater seam compound is too old and dried out to work? My boat has been out of the water for several months for refastening.

Peter Duck
07-09-2002, 06:20 PM
You could try digging a wee bitty out of one of the seams and squeze it between your fingers. Old seam putty can go as hard as a rock and will break rather than deform. I've never even seen Slick Seam, much less used it. I went over the seams of my 85 year old ketch a couple of years back and raked gently at the seam stopping, which was glazier's putty with red lead powder added. In some places,it just fell out, all dry and crumbly. In other places it held tight. I can't get the red lead powder any more, so I have just used plain glazier's putty to replace the stopping where it had fallen out. Seems to be working just fine.
Peter.

Stan Derelian
07-09-2002, 08:13 PM
There are some people who swear by Slick Seam, and it is certainly easy to apply. I am told that it has the advantage of staying flexible with is great for old dry planks that will swell. But I am also told that it has to stay below the waterline because it will melt from too much heat. I debated using it, and decided to go with Interlux compound below the waterline, and red lead putty above. --- There are sources for red lead putty--- Also, do a search on the forum about "paying seams" because there is a long thread on the subject.

Rich VanValkenburg
07-10-2002, 12:16 PM
Back when we actively sailed Sonja, I used Slick Seam after having most other stuff fail. Thing about her seams is that she was 'barrel built' carvel, with no seam allowance. I'd use it so she could swell and then go down and scrape it off, melt it down, filter it and use it again. It has the consistency of stiff, tub margarine. I used to use some other stiff-drying goo, but with the seams being the way they are, the stuff would pooch out suddenly and leave the seam wide open. I like the SlickSeam stuff. Like Stan says, keep it below the waterline or it'll melt.

Rich

Dave Hadfield
07-11-2002, 08:05 AM
I use Slick Seam every spring, but only to help me get launched. It's just a sticky wax. It has no construction value. It's just there to plug the seam gap until the planks swell tight again.

It's great stuff, but it's no replacement for the traditional way to connect planks.

cdragon
07-11-2002, 12:47 PM
You genrally hear strong opinions on slick seam. Lots of traditionalist types won't go near it as apparently once you've used it, you cannot go back to traditional compounds-I think due to the silicone base of SlickSeam. I imagine you can get it cleaned off, but that is obviously a big deal. I've always stayed away from it because of those reasons and often hear it referred to as sort of a short-cut, stop-gap, stuff not to be used by true hairy-chested men of wooden boats...