PDA

View Full Version : Cutting/measuring bevels

Dale R. Hamilton
03-30-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm building the stations and bulkheads for Ray Sargents runabout when this issue came up. Ray's plan calls for cutting the station bevels before erecting them on the strongback- In the past I usually cut the bevels the way the planks landed best on the station. But- I'm trying to do this his way. Trouble is- the bevels start at 9 degrees at the sheer, change to 6 degrees, then 4, 3, 2, as you approach the chine. So, how do you measure 9 degrees? what sort of instrument- I know a protractor- but what kind do you lay on a plank and read the bevel? And how to cut a 9 degree bevel. I can lay my band saw table over some, but tell the difference between 4 and 3 degrees? So, how 'bout it guys?

preston
04-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Thank you.

pipefitter
04-06-2005, 01:25 AM
I use the triangle shaped speed square for marking rafter ends,etc. I draw the degree lines on a straight edged board and transfer these to an adjustable bevel. Then I set this on the table of the bandsaw and adjust it until the edge of the bevel tool lines up with the blade.It helps if you have all your angles drawn on the wood so you can reference it right there at the saw.This is probably the crude field way of doing this butit is reliable and fast.