PDA

View Full Version : Paint

dthorton
01-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Could someone give me a couple of recommendations on bottom paint for my glen l little hunk?
Their are just to many options and I don't have a clue which ones are o.k. to use, this boat will be used in salt and fresh water if that matters.

Venchka
01-04-2005, 01:05 PM
EDIT TO ASK:

Are you concerned about anti-fouling bottom paint?

Will it spend time on a trailer? If so, then you need an ablative type bottom paint designed for trailer boats.

Wayne
In the Swamp. :D

[ 01-04-2005, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Venchka ]

RonW
01-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Bottom paint for a trailer boat?

This is a subject that I think has not been given it's proper dues or hard answers. The anti-fouling paint manufactures do not recommend anti-fouling paint to be used on trailer boats.The relatively new abalative anti-fouling paints are recommended for trailer boats, but you have to redo them about every 2 years.Petitt has one.The abalative paints are harder and dissolve slower.
But on the other side of the coin, how is a trailer boat ever going to set in the water long enough to grow barnacles.A little slime here and there can easily be washed off while the boat is on the trailer.

As for all the other marine paints, the manufactures say that they can blister if left sitting in the water, somewhere between 4 and 10 days, they don't seem to have a definte time period established.So are any of the marine paints, like kirby, just fine so long as the boat doesn't stay in the water for more then a few days at a time.

As for the little hunk, which is a plywood boat, has the plywood been covered in fiberglass cloth and epoxy? If so you are no longer painting a wood boat, but a epoxy and glass boat.I have used armorpoxy on a boat, and it is tuff, but about as thick as honey and needs thinned a lot.I would think that a epoxy paint would be better choice over glass then a wood paint like kirby's.

If you have a straight wood trailer boat, that might sit in the water for long periods at a time, then what? Are you back to the abalative paint, just having to redo it every other year. If so what would be the best protection for the wood under the abalative paint? Maybe several coats of a good quality oil based paint , such as kirby's for a prime and seal, followed by the abablative paint. Possible coating with cuprinol before sealing while the wood is raw. I would like to hear more on this subject. And a water based house paint is not the answer.

rbgarr
01-04-2005, 04:17 PM
I've had good luck with Pettit Trinidad on wood and fiberglass. Follow the instructions carefully.

cbob
01-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Horton, there is more of the latest info on A F products in the Waste Marine Catalog, and I suppose their website, under West Advisor, Maintenance, Bottom Paint, very helpfull, variety of conditions to latest non poisonious poison paints (A F Coatings). I go for Trinidad, cause thats what I need and it works, one coat every two years, 50 to 70 Deg. F. salt water, but maybe you don't need all that. It's not expensive, if it works, Luck, cbob

BRobinson
01-04-2005, 08:43 PM
If it's not going to sit in the water for more than a week or so just use any good marine enamel or polyurethane. If it will sit in the water for a while I agree that Petit Trinidad is a good choice, it is a hard ablative paint. It's downside is that it has no gloss, and the colors arn't very exciting.

dthorton
01-04-2005, 09:49 PM
The boat is plywood covered with fiberglass/epoxy,I do not intend on leaving it in the water.thanks..

SAWDUST
01-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Call the folks at Jamestown Distributors. They helped me find paint for my boat this spring.
Jamestown Distributors (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com)

Carl Schaefer
01-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by dthorton:
The boat is plywood covered with fiberglass/epoxy,I do not intend on leaving it in the water.thanks..If the boat is trailered and "dry sailed", I would not waste time or money putting bottom paint on the boat. The exterior paint or varnish you have should be adequate and should last as long as you wash and wipe down the boat when you pull her from the water. Just MHO.