PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, for Australia courts.

goodbasil
09-21-2009, 09:52 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090921/world/australia_euthanasia_starve

For a long time I've believed that death isn't the worst thing that can happed to you.

Ian McColgin
09-21-2009, 10:03 AM
It's not that uncommon among the elderly, where the quiet decision to simply stop eating at least around here is greeted with love and respect.

WX
09-21-2009, 05:54 PM
The court case was primarily to clear the nursing home of any legal implications should they respect his wishes. It's a shame he had to go through that but I can understand the nursing homes position. A good ending and the family reported that he died with dignity.

skuthorp
09-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Both my parents took that option more or less. "Enough is Enough" as mum said "I'm sick of this".

WX
09-21-2009, 07:39 PM
My Mum was increasingly annoyed with the aging process and it's drawbacks. Mild dementia and a number of mini strokes brought it all to an end for her. I believe she'd had enough by the end. I regret not being able to have been there for her but as my brother pointed out to me, she would not have known me anyway.

skuthorp
09-22-2009, 02:09 AM
My 90 year old aunt died this afternoon. She had short term memory loss but went down hill after a fall. She had left explicit instructions about not being kept alive artificially and intensive medical intervention. She was conscious briefly around 7am, knew what was happening and died peacefully. A life well lived.

downthecreek
09-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Both my parents took that option more or less. "Enough is Enough" as mum said "I'm sick of this".

So did my father. It troubled the hospice nurse who was helping us care for him at home, but she accepted it. The GP was entirely supportive - a wonderful woman.

RFNK
09-22-2009, 03:31 AM
While it may appear that Australia takes a progressive view of euthanasia this is sadly not the case. When the Australian Parliament was made aware through polling that the Australian public who elected them were overwhelmingly in favour of legislation to allow euthanasia, both major parties voted against developing this legislation and disallowed progressive changes introduced by the Northern Territory (a de facto state with its own government). This, unfortunately, is typical of the arrogance of our elected representatives. IMHO it's disgraceful that a person who lives in great discomfort and makes a conscious choice to end his life can only do so through starvation. Rick