PDA

View Full Version : Now we are two

Peerie Maa
09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Today, we delivered the Under Manager, our daughter Kirsty, to her halls of residence for the start of her first term in her first year at university.

Dad's Taxi stays on the drive and we get our bathroom back:D

Milo Christensen
09-16-2009, 05:43 PM
How's Kirsty's mom reacting?

Phillip Allen
09-16-2009, 05:44 PM
I'll bet that is a strange feeling...

2MeterTroll
09-16-2009, 05:53 PM
well take a week and let mom decompress before you start counting chickens

Peerie Maa
09-16-2009, 05:56 PM
How's Kirsty's mom reacting?

Quietly confident, thanks.

bobbys
09-16-2009, 05:59 PM
We dropped our dawghter off 4 years ago.

we cried on the drive back.

Have not seen her since but she calls for money..

I told her its just as easy to marry a rich guy as a poor guy..

Or maybe the boys dad has a fishin boat.......

ahp
09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Years ago we delivered out Kate to Cornell. We left her in tears. She was worried that she couldn't make it academically, dispite being valdictorian, and she would make any friends. Well, she did ok. Next summer she came home and worked in a local bank for the summer. She was bored out of her mind and swore she never spend another summer in her home town. Couldn't get make to Cornell fast enough.

Bruce Taylor
09-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Dropped off #1 Son last week. Only Daughter and #2 son have been exercising their salvage rights in the wreckage of his room, while plotting to annex the space for their own purposes.

Peerie Maa
09-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Evening of first full day. We phoned the Under Manager (knowing that she would not remember to phone home).

The call lasted less than a minute when I was told to ring back after she recovered her Sambuca that a new found friend was drinking.

She and an undisclosed number of proto "Great Unwashed" have planned an evening on the razzle in Liverpool.

She is going to be OK:D

hokiefan
09-17-2009, 04:36 PM
I had the best of both worlds: both my daughters attended colleges in the Boston area, but had either apartments or dorm rooms. They were far enough away so that we didn't have to deal with their messes and noise, but close enough to see them when we began to miss them! :)

(We are a VERY close family...)

At one point my senior year in high school I was discussing potential schools with my Mom. She asked why I wasn't interested in Old Dominion University, about an hour away. My Dad walked through the room and said, "Its too close to home. He needs to go at least 3 hours away so he'll stay and learn to take care of himself." Thank you Dad.

Cheers,

Phillip Allen
09-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Dropped off #1 Son last week. Only Daughter and #2 son have been exercising their salvage rights in the wreckage of his room, while plotting to annex the space for their own purposes.

laughing...

Peerie Maa
09-17-2009, 04:58 PM
At one point my senior year in high school I was discussing potential schools with my Mom. She asked why I wasn't interested in Old Dominion University, about an hour away. My Dad walked through the room and said, "Its too close to home. He needs to go at least 3 hours away so he'll stay and learn to take care of himself." Thank you Dad.

Cheers,

Exactly the advice that our form tutor gave to all of us. Although he put it at more than a day trip away.:D

David G
09-17-2009, 08:58 PM
I have the youngest away at school, and the oldest off into the Navy. A fella could get used to all this peace and quiet, eh? I do miss them though. Youngest may switch to closer school... which would be just fine. He could even live at home, and I'd be happy. I won't last forever anyway.

TomF
09-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Daughter's just entered 1st year, and can walk to university from our house. Frankly, I'm glad she's chosen to go here for her 1st degree ...

A whole lot of people crash and burn academically in 1st year, because they're unable to manage a significant change in how education's done, and a significant change in living arrangements. Our kid's on a full entrance scholarship, and I'd rather she learns how to keep it before she tries to compound things by also learning how to manage a household.

Of course, it helps that we're great friends ... if there was a bunch of friction on either end of the parent/child relationship, we might find ourselves making different choices.

Peerie Maa
09-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Tom,
You are both fortunate that the correct course is available so close to home.
Kirsty was interviewed for her chosen course at Liverpool & Carlisle, both about two hours of motorway driving, Canterbury, six or seven hours away, and Belfast which is a ferry trip from Liverpool.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Sprog #2 split the difference - Six hour drive from home but only about a two hour walk from his grandparents farm.

Took him a year and a half before he got round to actually visiting the grandparents...