PDA

View Full Version : Have the Yankees finally succeeded in buying a Pennant???

pefjr
09-11-2009, 02:28 PM
It might be a bit early but a 9 game edge should be good for Yankees to reach the Division Championship. How many have they bought now? Money decides the winner again.

Russ Manheimer
09-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Hope so.

elf
09-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Is there any other way?

pefjr
09-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Is there any other way?Wow, that was close, I corrected that spelling at 2:46. I must have ESP.

John of Phoenix
09-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Finally succeeded? What's this finally business? They're famous for it.

bamamick
09-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't go that far. St. Louis may have just as good a lineup and better pitching. Right now I would favor those two to meet in the Fall Classic, but I wouldn't bet on a winner.

Mickey Lake

Soundbounder
09-12-2009, 08:55 AM
It might be a bit early but a 9 game edge should be good for Yankees to reach the Division Championship. How many have they bought now? Money decides the winner again.I hardly consider those late 1990 championship teams as "buying a pennant".
Jeter, Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera, Pettite, Posada were all home grown talent. Paul O'Neil and Tino Martinez were acquired through trades of homegrown talent.

With the exception of 1977-78, they have usually failed at "buying a pennant". It certainly hasn't worked for them this decade.

Soundbounder
09-12-2009, 09:37 AM
The Yankee pennants have all been bought. There's no way they could have kept their home-grown talent without paying them big bucks. The players' agents have made sure of that.

I think that is stretching the definition of "buying a pennant". Lots of teams hold on to their home grown talent. They shouldn't be criticized for it.

pefjr
09-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I hardly consider those late 1990 championship teams as "buying a pennant".
Jeter, Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera, Pettite, Posada were all home grown talent. Paul O'Neil and Tino Martinez were acquired through trades of homegrown talent.

With the exception of 1977-78, they have usually failed at "buying a pennant". It certainly hasn't worked for them this decade.

Home grown talent, ...hhmmm... I say no such thing. What you mean is "played their whole career with the Yankees" ...so far.

These bought Championships started back in the 1920's and created a myth surrounding the "Yankees" and "PINSTRIPES" that has built upon itself and attracts all young ballplayers. Add the money to that equation and how can Kansas City or any other club compete? Do you call this "sporting" also?

Soundbounder
09-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Speaking of Jeter...Congrats on breaking Gehrig's hit record! Well done!

The Yankee pennants have all been bought. There's no way they could have kept their home-grown talent without paying them big bucks. The players' agents have made sure of that.

Home grown talent, ...hhmmm... I say no such thing. What you mean is "played their whole career with the Yankees" ...so far.

These bought Championships started back in the 1920's and created a myth surrounding the "Yankees" and "PINSTRIPES" that has built upon itself and attracts all young ballplayers. Add the money to that equation and how can Kansas City or any other club compete? Do you call this "sporting" also?I am certainly not here to praise the Yankees.
But if the wealth of teams is all that matters, then why do the Chicago Cubs, Angels, NY Mets, etc not have similar results as the Yankees?
How come the Red Sox didn't win for 80 years? They are a wealthy team. How come the Dodgers haven't won in 20+ years? They are a wealthy team.

The Kansas City argument is a whole separate issue. That involves an owner who refuses to spend money on the team. He even pockets his revenue sharing income, and puts none of it into the team. San Diego has been a similar case recently. Teams like that have bigger problems than competing with the Yankees; they can't even compete with the Twins or the Astros.

Soundbounder
09-12-2009, 10:05 AM

These bought Championships started back in the 1920's and created a myth surrounding the "Yankees" and "PINSTRIPES" that has built upon itself and attracts all young ballplayers. Add the money to that equation and how can Kansas City or any other club compete? Do you call this "sporting" also?MLB has this thing called the draft. The last place teams get the higher picks.

pefjr
09-12-2009, 01:37 PM
The unfairness of MLB makes me pull for any team playing the Yankees, but this year I am not foolish enough to bet against them.

Soundbounder
09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
The idea that only large, wealthy markets have a chance is somewhat of a myth.

World Series Teams
2008 Philadelphia- Tampa
2007 Boston - Denver
2006 St Louis- Detroit
2005 Chicago WSX - Houston
2004 Boston- St Louis
2003 Miami- NY Yankees
2002 Anaheim- San Francisco
2001 Arizona- NY Yankees
2000 NY Yankees- NY Mets

Paul Pless
09-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Who said "only large, wealthy markets have a chance?"

Milwaukee ;)

bobbys
09-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Brian Bruny is my sons friend and his MIL works with my wife.

He is from a very small town in OR.

He was on the crab boat with my son Andy and said it was the hardest work he ever did but a good workout!

bobbys
09-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Bruney.

Thanks im a Mets fan but i dont follow baseball much anymore.

Strange thing Im in Oregon and i see Yankees and Mets hats every day on people.

Soundbounder
09-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Who said "only large, wealthy markets have a chance?"Post #1 claims that "money decides the winner again".
For most of this decade, the two pennant winners have not been the wealthiest teams or the highest payrolls.

pefjr
09-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Post #1 claims that "money decides the winner again".
For most of this decade, the two pennant winners have not been the wealthiest teams or the highest payrolls.Check the history. Are you saying 26 world championships in 39 tries over the history is a result of fair play? Home grown talent? The Yankees are just better ball players?

brad9798
09-13-2009, 09:20 AM
The Cardinals are second to the Yankees in Championships and play in the best baseball town in the U.S.

I like the Yanks too! I hope it is a STL/NYY series this year!

I also wish Torre was still in NY!

From top to bottom of the line-up, I take the Cards over anyone, and I certainly am not a fair-weather fan!

Payroll doesn't have much to do with winning. Mets and Cubs are 2nd and 3rd respectively ... not too many people excited about their prospects! ;)

pefjr
09-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Gotta love those Cards, especially if they are playing the Yankees.