PDA

View Full Version : Cynical and snide

ishmael
09-11-2009, 07:10 AM
I asked a simple question about building a deck. I got a few good answers. Thank you. But an awful lot of what came back was angry, cynical, snide. Maybe it was intended as humorous, but much of it didn't seem so. I wonder why.

It's a deck, fer Christ's sake! I was simply looking for tips as to how to build it. Why be angry and cynical about that?

Popeye
09-11-2009, 07:14 AM
simply visualize all the posters as crazy bag ladies

works for me

bob winter
09-11-2009, 07:18 AM
There would appear to be some on the forum who enjoy pushing your buttons. They seem to be of the opinion that you are a raving drunk, among other things. Don't know you from a hole in the ground but. even if you are a raving drunk, etc., I fail to see what it has to do with building a deck. The thing about the thread that got me was your subsequent decision that it was going to be too expensive. Christ, how much can it cost to build a 6 x 6 deck? Likely cheaper, in the long run, than keeping the existing one repaired. I built a deck at the cottage 15 years ago and I am now building a sunroom on part of it. I have detected no rot at all in the existing structure.

Pugwash
09-11-2009, 07:20 AM
simply visualize all the posters as crazy bag ladies

Or outlandish cartoon characters....;)

brad9798
09-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Ish, like me, you know the majority of folks here are simply unhappy people.

From the folks I've met here, who incidentally are also many of the ones that get made fun of, judged tremendously, etc., these folks I have met are good people.

Many others simply want to poke fun or fight ... especially with you.

Granted, you have left yourself open from time to time, as you know, but you are one of the good guys.

To each his own ... and screw folks who want to continually throw rocks!

Hell, I'm not liked by a whole lot of folks here or anywhere else for that matter (I won't be running for office anytime soon :D ), but I have come to realize that folks that are seemingly liked by everyone are too phony for me.

Keep doing things your way ... there is no right or wrong.

You do not owe anyone here ... nor they you.

I missed, somehow, your deck thread.

:)

Popeye
09-11-2009, 07:25 AM
i think we may have a working title

ishmaels 'moby deck'

erster
09-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Ish, you need to use this and most other forums as nothing more than a time killer at last resort Its easy to do, check out like a lot of folks do and actually take on some kind of a project. Even this thread is yet another target and will yield the same results and do each day. People continue to reach out to you and your interests and participation here. You could be sailing south right now but have chosen not to and continue to type here, doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

brad9798
09-11-2009, 07:43 AM
ishmaels 'moby deck'

I just spit COKE all over my screen! :mad:

That is a very funny, FUNNY statement! :D

ishmael
09-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi Oyster,

I do my best to tell how to do something if I know how to do it. I know you do to. It doesn't make us right all the time, but we try to be honest about stuff, stuff we know. I often don't know the best way to proceed, and I'll say that too.

Why be nasty about it? Life is too short to run around angry all the time.

huisjen
09-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Yer Welcome.

Dan

erster
09-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi Oyster,

I do my best to tell how to do something if I know how to do it. I know you do to. It doesn't make us right all the time, but we try to be honest about stuff, stuff we know. I often don't know the best way to proceed, and I'll say that too.

Why be nasty about it? Life is too short to run around angry all the time.

Ish I can't answer why and will not try. But I can also state without hesitation that many see you in a funk but unable to get you to do something different with your time. Its your choice and as long as this section exists and there is little effort to change it, you should expect more of the same until someone in the know steps up and says enough.Thats all. I think we had this discussion around this time last year and you had a chance to get back on the water and decided against it, wasting yet another year. Sorry, but if you are asking me for some thoughts, thats the way I see it.

Shang
09-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Hi Oyster,

"...Why be nasty about it? Life is too short to run around angry all the time."

Exactly.
And keep in mind, "They can't get your goat if your goat aint there to git got."

huisjen
09-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Ish I can't answer why and will not try. But I can also state without hesitation that many see you in a funk but unable to get you to do something different with your time. Its your choice and as long as this section exists and there is little effort to change it, you should expect more of the same until someone in the know steps up and says enough.Thats all. I think we had this discussion around this time last year and you had a chance to get back on the water and decided against it, wasting yet another year. Sorry, but if you are asking me for some thoughts, thats the way I see it.

Spot On.

Dan

Glen Longino
09-11-2009, 08:28 AM
I read the "deck thread" but avoided posting simply because I've seen it happen so many times before that Jack either,
a) did not really want a deck
b) wants a deck but does not want the kind of deck we suggest
c) wants a deck and believes that in a proper Jungian world, a deck should simply appear
d) we're all making too much fuss...hell it's only a deck

Tylerdurden
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Lot of hate going around as people start to understand their world is crashing down. Tough to understand one has been suckered.

Paul Girouard
09-11-2009, 08:32 AM
I read the "deck thread" but avoided posting simply because I've seen it happen so many times before that Jack either,
a) did not really want a deck
b) wants a deck but does not want the kind of deck we suggest
c) wants a deck and believes that in a proper Jungian world, a deck should simply appear
d) we're all making too much fuss...hell it's only a deck

Humm, all those could be true , but mainly I suspect you just don't know how to build one , Humm Oh WAIT, thats never stopped you from commenting before :D So maybe it was a - d or some combination there of.

Glen Longino
09-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Lot of hate going around as people start to understand their world is crashing down. Tough to understand one has been suckered.

Hate? I don't see any hate except when you show up.
I do see peevishness and even angst, but no hate.

Paul Girouard
09-11-2009, 08:34 AM

Nothin new there. Hates not new, nor is "thier world is crashing down", happens ever day to some extent.

Any other ideas?

Glen Longino
09-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Humm, all those could be true , but mainly I suspect you just don't know how to build one , Humm Oh WAIT, thats never stopped you from commenting before :D So maybe it was a - d or some combination there of.

I've built several decks, but I admit, none quite as lovely as the one you posted pics of.
One thing I never did was sit around on my drunk ass wishing I had a deck. Bet you didn't either.;)

Popeye
09-11-2009, 08:39 AM
if i had a hammer , i'd hammer in the morning

Chris Coose
09-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Lot of hate going around as people start to understand their world is crashing down.

Only thing crashing down today is Jack's deck and my hung ceiling.
Gonna burn down some birthday cake candels and wish you weren't so hateful.

ishmael
09-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I do my best to be kind and honest. Kind isn't always easy, and honest sometimes hurts. But I was asking if anyone knew more than I did about building a deck. The stairs have to be rebuilt before the snow flies. As of the first of the week the truck is inspected, the state taxes paid, so now I can haul the wood.

Comments which flow sideways aren't worth the time anymore.

David Tabor (sailordave)
09-11-2009, 08:54 AM
ISH, Sorry to highjack your thread....

Mark: I don't think my world is crashing down... Is it the best it's ever been? No. But my world is still pretty damn good. I think a lot of folks get caught up in thinking that things will always continue to improve as in a nice straight linear (or hopefully parabolic) function UPWARDS. Nice if you can attain, but not the real world.

So I've got someone special, a JOB, job security, a pension coming to me, health insurance, a roof over my head (a damn fine one at that!) Food in the pantry, Internet access even if it is dialup!, my health, two kids I care about even if they are being typical teens at the moment, my parents are still both alive and well, I travel, I sail a lot, I have friends and neighbors I like, books out the whazzoo. I could go on.:)

So there is crime and corruption in the world, what else is new? The Right hates the Left and Muslims hate the Jews and Christians and the Hindus starve b/c they won't eat cows etcetcetc. The money people try to squeeze the little guy even more. 1Billion isn't enough, gotta have 3B, cause the next guy has 2.5B. Whatever.

I'm just one person but in my own small way I try to make each day better; for me, for people around me and for the people I interact w/ each day. Maybe if more people just tried to do a little bit of good every day things would get a whole lot better.

Oh, and ISH? I didn't see the deck thread but ferchrissakes. 6x6? That's nothing. You can bang that out in no time at very little cost. Just build the durn thing!:rolleyes:

Tylerdurden
09-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Nothin new there. Hates not new, nor is "thier world is crashing down", happens ever day to some extent.

Any other ideas?

No, This is the time when all will be revealed. You can see the reactions here when I post items not in the mainstream. Its running up exponentially now and the reactions will get nuttier as time wears on. Some people cannot let go of their programing and will wave whatever flag they hold on to till the bitter end. It's sad really.

Just look at the reams of threads related to democrat or republican.
Its pretty obvious to many that they are the same and yet as much information as there is out there to indicate that people still hang on. I am sure if aliens landed on the whitehouse lawn some idiot would come on and say it was staged by acorn or the republicans will sweep the next election so we can fight them.

On the other side the same goof's on the other side will show it as proof that aliens are concerned with health care.;)

Chris Coose
09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
It isn't that easy Dave.
TD is compelled to change things he is powerless over while his world is a shrinking and Ish must make deep analysis over that which he has thorough control while his world is shrinking.

They are staggered by the fear.

Freud said all's a fella needs to be happy is work and love.

huisjen
09-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I got love. I guess I better get to work.

Dan

Tylerdurden
09-11-2009, 09:52 AM
ISH, Sorry to highjack your thread....

Mark: I don't think my world is crashing down... Is it the best it's ever been? No. But my world is still pretty damn good. I think a lot of folks get caught up in thinking that things will always continue to improve as in a nice straight linear (or hopefully parabolic) function UPWARDS. Nice if you can attain, but not the real world.

So I've got someone special, a JOB, job security, a pension coming to me, health insurance, a roof over my head (a damn fine one at that!) Food in the pantry, Internet access even if it is dialup!, my health, two kids I care about even if they are being typical teens at the moment, my parents are still both alive and well, I travel, I sail a lot, I have friends and neighbors I like, books out the whazzoo. I could go on.:)

So there is crime and corruption in the world, what else is new? The Right hates the Left and Muslims hate the Jews and Christians and the Hindus starve b/c they won't eat cows etcetcetc. The money people try to squeeze the little guy even more. 1Billion isn't enough, gotta have 3B, cause the next guy has 2.5B. Whatever.

I'm just one person but in my own small way I try to make each day better; for me, for people around me and for the people I interact w/ each day. Maybe if more people just tried to do a little bit of good every day things would get a whole lot better.

Oh, and ISH? I didn't see the deck thread but ferchrissakes. 6x6? That's nothing. You can bang that out in no time at very little cost. Just build the durn thing!:rolleyes:

Do you not see it a selfish to hold such views? Millions are out of work, losing their homes, and living on the streets. Whole family's.
Many thousands of innocents are being killed and maimed on foreign shores in your name.
Do you do any good for them or is it better to be insulated?

There is enough posters here that feel if they are fat dumb and happy no point in being concerned for those who are not.
I thank you for being frank enough to point that out.

David Tabor (sailordave)
09-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Do you not see it a selfish to hold such views? Millions are out of work, losing their homes, and living on the streets. Whole family's.
Many thousands of innocents are being killed and maimed on foreign shores in your name.
Do you do any good for them or is it better to be insulated?

There is enough posters here that feel if they are fat dumb and happy no point in being concerned for those who are not.
I thank you for being frank enough to point that out.

Mark, I was merely pointing out that life is pretty good for ME and in general life is still pretty damn good for most folks. Yes, a lot of people are having a time of it, no question. But rough times have always existed and there will ALWAYS be some who are having a tough time.
I donate time/materials to a couple of causes. Locally and Nationally.
I speak out about things I don't think are right. Regardless of the political side that I oppose.
I try to treat people nicely regardless of their station in life; from the hotshot businessman to the lowest cleaning lady at work; a smile and a "have a nice day" or "HOW are YOU?"

I can only do so much, but if everyone did a little things would be better than they are. Call me naive or anything else but I am hardly ignorant of others' plight or uncaring of their situation.

I suspect you and I have a lot in common; I just CHOOSE to focus on the positive things in life and try to fix the negative a little bit at a time.

I am VERY fortunate in life. I know people that had MULTIPLE jobs last year b/c of the economy. Some still DON'T have jobs. Am I supposed to quit my job so I can "feel" their pain?

oznabrag
09-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Only thing crashing down today is Jack's deck and my hung ceiling.
Gonna burn down some birthday cake candels and wish you weren't so hateful.

Happy Birthday, Chris!

Tylerdurden
09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Mark, I was merely pointing out that life is pretty good for ME and in general life is still pretty damn good for most folks. Yes, a lot of people are having a time of it, no question. But rough times have always existed and there will ALWAYS be some who are having a tough time.
I donate time/materials to a couple of causes. Locally and Nationally.
I speak out about things I don't think are right. Regardless of the political side that I oppose.
I try to treat people nicely regardless of their station in life; from the hotshot businessman to the lowest cleaning lady at work; a smile and a "have a nice day" or "HOW are YOU?"

I can only do so much, but if everyone did a little things would be better than they are. Call me naive or anything else but I am hardly ignorant of others' plight or uncaring of their situation.

I suspect you and I have a lot in common; I just CHOOSE to focus on the positive things in life and try to fix the negative a little bit at a time.

I am VERY fortunate in life. I know people that had MULTIPLE jobs last year b/c of the economy. Some still DON'T have jobs. Am I supposed to quit my job so I can "feel" their pain?

Not asking you to quit your job, I have no problem leaving this computer and going on with my life, Sailing dating, etc.
On that level I don't go into politics, conspiracy's etc. I like to have fun and the people around me know that I do as I am a bit of a trickster.
Here in the either though one can express his views openly as if on a soap box on the town common.
Its the beauty of the internet, Free exchange of ideas and all.
I put no gun to anyone's head to read my tripe so just the same others should not fill my threads with nonsense and venom as they regularly do. Respect goes both ways and as I get very little because of my veiws why should anyone expect more than the same right back?

There are a few here who try ever so hard to paint me as bitter, alone and crazy but not a one of them has spent any time with me except maybe one who did admit here on the forum I am not without humor and compassion in person.
It serves them to do this and if its not cynicism and snide could you point out what it is then?