PDA

View Full Version : WBF Confession

Joe (SoCal)
09-23-2005, 06:52 PM
I worked with the shipwright this morning to review the work detail on restoring Dove.
Dove Thread (http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011031)
I had to make a decision that I'm not sure many home wood butcherers would be willing to admit. He said I was doing a good job working on her but if I wanted to get her in the water by next season I should consider moving her from my barn to his shop :eek: His reasoning is he had a big problem organizing what to bring to my shop and what to leave in order in order to work on the boat. It would be much better if he had the boat in his shop and could work on it daily and not once a week or so. It would also get the boat done in a professional way.

Giving my work load I gave in and wrote the big work and materials retainer check $$$$. He is making room for Dove and will start work right away.

I will be able to help out in HIS shop and learn but from now on I move from principal to secondary restorer.

In the end Dove will be professionally restored.

Thats my confession and I'm sticking to it. ;)

[ 09-23-2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

JimD
09-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I can see his point of view. Far easier to bring the boat to the workshop than to bring the workshop to the boat.

StevenBauer
09-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Don't beat yourself up over this. You think Elisabeth Meyer rebuilt Endeavour by herself? Sometimes you gotta go with the pros. :D

Steven

Dave Fleming
09-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Well Dhowman, it is damn near impossible for a shipwright to carry ALL the possible tools, gizmos, gilhickeys etc., he might need.
Unless the fellow is a true gypsy shipwright with fitted out truck/trailer it is unrealistic to expect him to have to hand when at YOUR place just what he might need.

I hated to go out of the yard and work on a boat at the owners dock. You could place a bet that there would be at least ONE item you forgot or didn't expect to need.

Besides it should cost you less this way.

[ 09-24-2005, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

Paul Girouard
09-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Good decision Joe smile.gif You'll get to see how easy the right jig / tool / bench setup makes things quicker , cooler and better , if your guys shop is what it should be.

You'll just have to sell more of those big soaker houses tongue.gif

pipefitter
09-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Whenever we go out on the road it is double shop rate including driving time,material/parts pickup etc.Should be quite a bit cheaper done at his shop.

ssor
09-23-2005, 10:17 PM
I do house calls. But then again I go back to the shop for this and that. And I repair Houses they are alot harder to move than boats.

Ross In Bel Air

[ 09-23-2005, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: ssor ]

paladin
09-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Joe...If I had done Tana Mari all by myself I would still be working on it....I hired first class dudes to help me.....worked on the boat 6 hours a day...BUT....I was also working nearby for a lotta bucks which helped speed the project along. I had the bucks for the boat and to subsist on, but it was still nice to have the reserves......and then I went SAILING.....

Stiletto
09-24-2005, 02:55 AM
Sometimes the best thing to do is just write the cheque. This looks like one of those times, it's the best thing to do for you and your boat.

Granville
09-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Sign at the village blacksmith

HORSES SHOED$10

YOU WATCH $15

YOU HELP $25

I think your boatright is trying to give you a hint.

Ian McColgin
09-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Our farrier spelt it "shod," but enough of being DonnForTheDay.

I think you're making the right call if you want to sail next summer and nothing in the relationship makes it seem that the boatwright thinks you're in the way or a hinderance.

G'luck

Joe (SoCal)
09-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Granville:

I think your boatright is trying to give you a hint.[/QB]NO he was impressed with the quality and amount of work I had done so far. He also wants me to continue to help at his shop. He just felt it would be simpler, faster and more productive if he did not have to think about what he was going to work on and bring the proper tools and materials to my shop.

He is a very nice guy and we get along well, it was my choice to relinquish control of the project. I thought about it and my end goal is to get Dove in the water by next season and GO SAILING. It was MY choice to say, ya know what why don't I just pay you to do move the boat to your shop. I told him, hell, if you are going to have the boat, why don't you do some of the tedious jobs like stripping and re-varnishing the parts that were removed. Oh and yea the canvas decking I can come by and help you lay it but if I'm busy don't let me stop you from doing it. That sort of thing, folla. I will help when I can and I want to learn but I do not have the time anymore.

Granville
09-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Nothing personal joe, most craftsman, myself included ;) , would prefer doing it by themselves, without the need for tedious advice, explanations, and fixing mistakes made by eager dillatantes

Paul Girouard
09-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Granville , You like to work alone , eh?

I think most craftmen like myself love to work with some one who is wanting to learn , happy to be working on a project that interests them.

Most of my friends that want to build something are good to have around to help , clean up the shop , sand and do things they want to do to help.

Why do you think Smalser write' those posts?

Part of being able to do something with wood is passing that along , to someone who wants to learn what ya know.

If Joe keeps his eyes open , and doesn't get in the way , I'd say mouth shut :rolleyes: , but Joe's got to be talking , so I'll leave that out tongue.gif His boatwright will have no problem with Joe being there to help out :cool:

Granville
09-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Thats interesting Paul but a professional has to consider things such as "what will the insurance company say if this guy slips and wacks his head or cuts his hand off?" or " do I really want to chance this guy sueing me and taking my shop and business because he hurts himself?"

There is more to keep in mind than being overjoyed that you have found a grunt to empty the dust colletor.

Joe (SoCal)
09-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Granville, speculation and reality are interesting to compare.

I'm friendly with this guy, he has invited me out sailing on his Herreshoff a few times. Due to work and vacations I have not been able to. But I suppose I will before we both go sailing on Dove ;) .

He is not concerned about insurance, he is not secretly trying to avoid working with me. We like each other and he is willing ti impart his knowledge freely. His invitation to work with him on Dove in his shop carried no caveats, and I doubt with the money I'm paying that I will be emptying the dust collector, not that I wouldn't. :D Reality is Dove is going to be the prettiest girl at the dance and we are going to get her to dance sooner now ;)

ssor
09-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Others have also said this but "Darwin Rules" apply in my shop too. I will warn of risk but it is up to you to preserve your hide.

Stone age joke; "The earth mother gave each animal enough brains to preserve its hide twice."

Ross in Bel Air

Edited to correct a typo

[ 09-24-2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: ssor ]

Granville
09-24-2005, 03:29 PM
You know not a thing oyster ;)

Joe (SoCal)
09-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Do tell smile.gif

Granville
09-24-2005, 11:26 PM
please, tell us all you "know" tongue.gif

BrianW
09-25-2005, 04:18 AM
Sounds like you made a wise choise Joe, best of luck and wishes from Alaska.

I know when I had my lil'boat ;) hauled last May in Petersburg (Alaska) I was most worried by what the shipwrights might find. Sure they found a spot that needed attention, and I gave them free range to fix it. But in the end, they gave the boat a passing grade and that made me so much more happy than a simple 'clean and paint' bottom job.

Ya done good!

[ 09-25-2005, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: BrianW ]

Norske3
09-25-2005, 05:32 AM
You have a boat to sail in now Joe..right?...so what is the rush to get this project in the water?He said your work so far is good....well, anyways I for one would just bump along with it and be content sailing what I had in the mean time...but that' smile.gif s me.

Scott Rosen
09-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Good move, joe.